• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best anime; Not Childish

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:31 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:

No, watching it 77 times is. :D

Heh, sticks and stones, Samurai.

Besides, the new tally is 83 and counting. Though I'm going to have to shelve the whole number as soon as a licensing deal is struck for the 3rd and final OAV.

Anyways, to answer the question in question, there are many more "grown up anime". Some even more severe than what's been listed here.

For instance, as much as I'm not a particular fan, Satoshi Kon's works Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, and the new Tokyo Godfathers. Or, there's the incomparable classic Grave of the Fireflies. Other good examples are the Patlabor movies (the series was much more light-hearted), Macross Plus, Universal Century era Gundam (especially Char's Counterattack, Victory, and Zeta), Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

All are very mature titles, and I very highly recommend them (even if they're not all favorites of mine).
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:07 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Samurai CDZ wrote:

No, watching it 77 times is. Very Happy

Heh, sticks and stones, Samurai.

Besides, the new tally is 83 and counting.

Shocked ... wow.

anyway...I feel that 65% of all the anime I watch is "childish"...but I still enjoy them. There's nothing wrong with that...
but if you are looking for anime completely devoid of childish themes then I suggest:
Berserk
Record of Lodoss War
Gasaraki
BoogiePop
Akira
Reign
TF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
my fav is (and probably always will be) Tekkaman Blade (may be better known to the audience in its edited version Teknoman
TF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:27 am Reply with quote
lol,
yeah, i'm watching the fansubs made by the guys from liquidanime, they are have already 33 eps done and their quality off the translations is way better than the ones available from hong kong.

i just hope they air the series again one day
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:31 am Reply with quote
Well, when it comes to classifying what is considered to be a "children's" anime to what is an "adults" really depends on the person's opinions as to what's what. Such as, someone could consider that such and such anime is for kids, while such and such person could consider it for adults. So, in my opinion, I think it's the person who decides what's what. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Anuin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:51 am Reply with quote
whoa whoa whats with the hate...im only expressing my opinions here....about that naruto thing....i already admitted to the kid thing but i chose to include it cause ITS GREAT!!!

Anyway im disapointed that this post turned out like that only trying to explain my tastes so that someone can gimme suggestions for another show

By the way GTO IS GREAT watched the whole thing Tony
Anuin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:09 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
No drama or violence in Tenchi Muyo? Either you were skimming through the show or you've got one severely warped idea as to what's violence and what's drama.

Dont mean to offend you...really, i thought the show was great and really funny (not my favourite tho) but compared to many shows i watched, i think it is more focused on laughter than on drama

many shows i watched....uh....well...inspired me (so to speak) in a way and i just didn't find that in Tenchi...but i guess its just not my coup of tea

My favourites are Slice of Life shows and i found that in Cowboy Bebop, NGE, Naruto and GTO had that (EVEN THO ALL THESE SHOWS ARE NOT CLASSIFED AS SLICE OF LIFE)

And you may be right...my idea of violence and drama may be warped, but everyone has their own understanding. Its like the old age question: do we all see the same colours?

Id say, No.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
AroundTheWorld wrote:
He said it couldn't be childish, not that it couldn't be a kids show, technicaly. I asume he means slapstick humor like One Piece, Excel Saga, and Azumanga Daioh

Sci-Fi Harry and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters.

Here's a description for Sci-Fi Harry taken from official Japanese site.. but a spoiler for the first episode..

spoiler[Harry Quinn is timid American high school boy who is always left out of his fellow classmates activities. The only one he has around is Catherine, who tries to console him and trust him. However, Catherine has a boyfriend, John, who is very talented and popular among his classmates.

One day, at the basketball game, Harry breaks a window by mistake. Because of that accident, Catherine is slashed up and wounded by the glass. Chris, a delinquent boy, and his gang blame Harry on that accident and procede to lynch him.

However, John tries to protect Harry and stop Chris. Chris then harbors a grudge toward John and kidnaps Catherine for revenge.

Meantime, with an ominous presentiment, Harry unconsciously comes to the place where Chris and his gang are raping Catherine. Harry's strong will to rescue Catherine brings his potential supernatural power in him, and suddenly buildings near there go to blowing up. Chris and his gang run away, frightened.

Without knowing that the power which caused the buildings to explode was caused by Harry, Harry and Catherine go to her house together. Catherine introduces Harry to her brother Eliot who hardly says anything to him.

While they are watching a TV show about a man of supernatural power, Harry becomes to realize that he has that kind of power as well. Catherine encourages him to practice more to develop his power.

Ever since that time, bizzar murders have happened around Harry every time he used his powers. Just what is the connection between Harry's powers and the murders?]

And Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters for the obvious. Great plot and characters, suspence and drama, all that jazz. Only bad thing is that there's more male fanservice than female fanservice.

when the hell is it coming out? i've been waiting forever for this OAV. what i read of the manga was so damn good.

do you have a link for the official site?
Daimonwrath

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Naruto is incredibly childish. I like the show, but it's a series of extremely repetitive fights followed by three minutes of flashbacks followed by recapping the fight that just took place. The characters are somewhat one-dimensional and the emotions are all overplayed. There's no subtlety to the show at all; no subtext, no depth, it's just ninja action.

And it's for 9-year olds. But it's fun and I like it. I just don't pretend it's for adults. Neither should you.

-Zac

lol you just wrapped up Naruto's formula in a handbasket! The flashbacks are starting to get old and veer away from the mainstory.

But before I veer away from post, good adult storylines? check those threads if I forgot some but most of what I posted as favorites are more adult, though Escaflowne,Beserk, Noir, and Gunslinger Girl come to mind right off.

Thats it Im done with these types of posts.lol
Cool

D.W.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2