• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bootlegs vs. Fansubs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
Doujinshi are well... I wouldn't put them in the bootlege category. They aren't advertising themselves as something that's official. They usually say "fan comic" across it. Doujinshi are just manga made by fans for the heck of it. They don't make a profit off of it really. And even the original creators tend to make doujinshi of their own creations that their publishers don't approve of: example, Naoko Takeuchi's Sailormoon: Infinity, and Sakura Kinoshita's infamous Tactics doujinshi.

The Japanese for some reason overlook doujinshi, or have some loophole in their laws or something, I don't know. The only legal action I can recall taken on doujinshi was when Disney threatened to sue the pants off anyone who made a Kingdom Hearts doujin.

Now there is the equivilant to a fansub with manga. Those are called scanlations, and that's when a group of people scan a manga, translate it, edit it into english, and distro it on the internet. Those people make absolutely no profit at all, and aren't really as egotistic as the fansubbers. You can't really sell scanlations... it's kind of hard. It would be a lot of ink, and paper...
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:12 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
And at ADV's panel at AWA9, they said they were under pressure a lot to include hard subs (unable to be removed) to discourage Japanese consumers from importing R1s. 8O

Ah, yes. The dreaded bane of Japanese anime companies known as "reverse importation". I'm not too familiar with it, but I've heard a little about it here and there and it does seem to be a problem. And with anime growing in popularity these days, anime companies are undoubtedly making stricter limits on their licenses for the American market.

If what this article says is correct, then Buena Vista Japan (otherwise known as Disney's Japanese branch) was not happy that the R1 DVD of "Princess Mononoke" received a Japanese track because of the fear of reverse importation.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:08 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Doujinshi are well... I wouldn't put them in the bootlege category. They aren't advertising themselves as something that's official. They usually say "fan comic" across it. Doujinshi are just manga made by fans for the heck of it. They don't make a profit off of it really. And even the original creators tend to make doujinshi of their own creations that their publishers don't approve of: example, Naoko Takeuchi's Sailormoon: Infinity, and Sakura Kinoshita's infamous Tactics doujinshi.

The Japanese for some reason overlook doujinshi, or have some loophole in their laws or something, I don't know. The only legal action I can recall taken on doujinshi was when Disney threatened to sue the pants off anyone who made a Kingdom Hearts doujin.

Now there is the equivilant to a fansub with manga. Those are called scanlations, and that's when a group of people scan a manga, translate it, edit it into english, and distro it on the internet. Those people make absolutely no profit at all, and aren't really as egotistic as the fansubbers. You can't really sell scanlations... it's kind of hard. It would be a lot of ink, and paper...

Well... I've noticed cd's filled with fanscans sold on ebay, so it is just as possible for people to be unethical about that as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:33 am Reply with quote
Doujinshi are beloved in Japan just like their culture dependent "official manga" obsession.

It is true that doujins don't make any/little profit, the price goes to covering art/printing/etc costs. They have GiGANTIC doujinshi conventions that would make AX look squeamish. Go search "komiket" (Comic Market - doujins only). Literally hundreds of thousands of people in a weekend.

CLAMP and Rumiko Takahashi both were born from komiket and the doujinshi world.

Besides. Copyrights, in general, are useless. You can not copyright characters, situations, events, only the original art and the 'exact' story (following the rules of plagerism). I don't think they could legally do anything about doujins, if they wanted to. But the demand and doujin-otaku are so numerous that it would be impossible.

If you can find some, I say buy a few, they are often fabulous.

As far as fansubs, the US companies use them for 'advertisement' and to get an idea of potential popularity. The line as drawn at the date of license for the end of fansub circulation.

As state above, bootlegs are evil. They are poor quality, horridly translated, often direct 'lifts' from the Japanese version, contribute to evil in general.

My friend in Canada, I sympathize with you, I grew up in the farms of central US. Save your money and beg to go to a convention once or twice a year. Otherwise, keep an eye on the US anime stores for sales via internet. Right now TRSI, rightstuf.com has 40% off ALL CPM dvds, 33% off CPM manga. Fansubs are harmless, bootlegs are not.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:01 am Reply with quote
Here is an english site with some info on "Comiket" (my bad! Sad I thought it was with a "k") from 1995:

http://www.inter-g7.or.jp/g2/manga/HTML/MARKET.html

They are currently working on adding an english site attached to the official site at www.comiket.co.jp

The anime Comic Party is a 13 episode series about doujins at the great Tokyo Big Site Exhibition Centre.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:40 am Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
Besides. Copyrights, in general, are useless. You can not copyright characters, situations, events, only the original art and the 'exact' story (following the rules of plagerism).
Well I can't speak for copyright laws in Japan, but in the States you CAN copyright a character and it's likeness. I just think Japan, culturally, isn't as strict towards fan/doujinshi created works. Personally it sure seems to work for them... of course that'd never fly with Disney here.

As for the fansubbing issue... I am perfectly fine with watching fansubs so long as they aren't licensed. Hell there's quite a FEW series' that I'm fairly certain will never get licensed, and until such time as I decide to take a trip to Tokyo, I'll probably hang on to those fansubs. Although I've rarely watched any of them more than once. Not to mention it gives me a good bead on what I'll buy (providing it even gets licensed.)
Josh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:06 am Reply with quote
well i think bootlegs are great. if you dont have alot of money to feed your anime hunger they are awesome. i would buy them in stores but they are to expensive and for what 3 episodes. when you buy an import all the episodes are on it. which saves you money and also is great cause you get to see all of the series instead of 3 eps at a time.

alot of you might think diffrently but its your money spend it the way you want to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nvspike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:51 am Reply with quote
Shinji Ikari wrote:
What about people living in areas where anime is hard to get, and when you do find it it's outragously priced? For example, I live in New Brunswic Canada, and believe me, to buy one DVD it usually runs me abot 60 to 70 dollars!!!

Um, Amazon.ca is your friend. They have bad prices (but free shipping and generally some coupons) but nothing there comes higher than 45-50 and most is in the 30-35 dollar range. Also, if you have a London Drugs in your area (don't know) check them out for ADV material at amazing prices. Also, Right Stuff is good if you do a huge order, maybe team up with some friends, get a membership and pay postage once.

In otherwords, living outside the US sux but you still have options.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As far as fansubs, the US companies use them for 'advertisement' and to get an idea of potential popularity. The line as drawn at the date of license for the end of fansub circulation.

Not true anymore. Most series are licensed before pen is put to paper, or at least before it hits air. Now fansubs are more "something we have to put up with to avoid mass boycotting of our product". People should know better than to fansub something that they know is licensed (anything Gundam, or titles with US company logos in the credits)

Japanese law on doujinshi is that they can do anything they want, as long as they keep the total print run under 5000. ONce you pass that they can sue you. Disney of course hates the law, and basically said "Sure it's not illegal, but we'll sue you anyway, and can you really afford to take us on?"
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Japanese law on doujinshi is that they can do anything they want, as long as they keep the total print run under 5000. ONce you pass that they can sue you. Disney of course hates the law, and basically said "Sure it's not illegal, but we'll sue you anyway, and can you really afford to take us on?"

Lol, that reminds me of all my friends who where complaining of the lack of Kingdom Hearts doujin because Disney specificly forbad it. There have been a couple Kingdom Hearts doujin made though, and the prices for them in auctions run on killer prices.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm lazy in that I haven't yet read what people have said on this thread but I read this on the fansview site on the latest convention report.

Quote:
But Greenfield and Williams emphasized that the wave of anime fansubs which can be downloaded is leading to a growing problem of piracy in Asia. Since there are no limits on who can download the fansubs, and because the fansubs are of near-broadcast quality, the fansubs are being downloaded by bootleggers and sold at cheap prices in Asia, said the ADV representatives. "They (fansubbers) would put it on the Internet and three weeks later, it would be on sale in Hong Kong as a bootleg." Greenfield said. "In parts of Asia, there is no market for anime because fansubs have killed it. When you start giving it away for free to anyone who wants, it you're stealing and you're killing the industry."

But Greenfield and Williams emphasized that the wave of anime fansubs which can be downloaded is leading to a growing problem of piracy in Asia. Since there are no limits on who can download the fansubs, and because the fansubs are of near-broadcast quality, the fansubs are being downloaded by bootleggers and sold at cheap prices in Asia, said the ADV representatives. "They (fansubbers) would put it on the Internet and three weeks later, it would be on sale in Hong Kong as a bootleg." Greenfield said. "In parts of Asia, there is no market for anime because fansubs have killed it. When you start giving it away for free to anyone who wants, it you're stealing and you're killing the industry."

I have a lot of fansubs but I'm not in denial that it's not damaging the industry. And as the above says fansubs are now becoming bootlegs.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is still a bootleg issue however. If these South East Asian countries would actually crack down on the bootleggers there would actually BE an anime industry in those countries. Sadly the bootleggers and, I suspect, the people behind them, maintain the status quo in most of those countries. It's a profitable business and until it becomes otherwise, there will be bootlegs, fansubs or not.

Of course all this has little to do with the anime industry in the West.
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I've seen many people say that they don't have the money and then almost immediatly some says 'Get a job'

Does this ever make me mad!!!

Not everyone can 'get a job'. I'm a 3rd year university student, and if I get a job, my grades will slide, and I happen to like my grades. In the summer I get a job, but all that money goes right back into school.

I have bought one bootleg, but that was before I knew how to recognize a boot when I saw it. The quality was just fine, the subtitles where great, and it was also in English (it was Hellsing if anyone is curious).

I don't support bootlegs, and I don't buy them, but I can't buy legit anime either. So until I have my debt paid off I can't buy any anime. So fansubs are the only way I watch anime currently. In the future I will buy legit.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course all this has little to do with the anime industry in the West.

Yeah you're right, it's not like the companies that make those animes need the asian market. They can easily afford to lose old/new business.

Why do I have fansubs?

1. I can watch series well before they come to my local store.
2. I have saved a lot (up to 500 UK pounds / $906 US so far) of money by not buying DVDs and if I did own the first volume of a series, I dont have to buy the rest I just download them.
3. Big O is going to be on UK TV next month, I don't need to watch it, I already have the complete series on my computer.
4. The quality is so good I can easily transfer them from my computer onto VCD and DVDs now.
5. My family and friends dont need to buy any dvds I can easily lend them some of the VCDs and DVDs I made.
6. If all the fansubs I owned were offical DVDs I would have 219 dvds if all were priced at $26.98 I would have had to have paid $5,908.62 yet I only paid $11.99 a month for a broadband connection.
7. Last anime DVD I got was in June - since then I have only seen fansubs. (an idea of how much I use to spend on legit I still own 457 anime VHS since 1995)
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
Yeah you're right, it's not like the companies that make those animes need the asian market. They can easily afford to lose old/new business.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that was sarcasm. However, I was specifically talking about those South East Asian countries where maintaining an anime market against blackmarket bootlegging is a loosing battle, whether there are fansubs or not.

bluechibi wrote:

1. I can watch series well before they come to my local store.
2. I have saved a lot (up to 500 UK pounds / $906 US so far) of money by not buying DVDs and if I did own the first volume of a series, I don't have to buy the rest I just download them.
3. Big O is going to be on UK TV next month, I don't need to watch it, I already have the complete series on my computer.
4. The quality is so good I can easily transfer them from my computer onto VCD and DVDs now.
5. My family and friends don't need to buy any dvds I can easily lend them some of the VCDs and DVDs I made.
6. If all the fansubs I owned were offical DVDs I would have 219 dvds if all were priced at $26.98 I would have had to have paid $5,908.62 yet I only paid $11.99 a month for a broadband connection.
7. Last anime DVD I got was in June - since then I have only seen fansubs. (an idea of how much I use to spend on legit I still own 457 anime VHS since 1995)

No offense, but it seems to me all your reasons for owning (and in your case burning and lending) fansubs seem to be fairly mercenary and puerile. Not once do I see a mention of downloading fansubs because you like a particular series, or want to see what might be hopefully licensed in the coming years. In fact I don't get a sense of anime-fandom at all, just the fact that you do it because it can be done.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6