• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Hospitalized After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I heard about this on the local news yesterday, but (fortunately) they left out the part about Naruto. I had no idea this incident was "Anime related".
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
dude7 wrote:
As the old saying goes....

"Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. "
Yeah, as if the law would let anyone wield said rod.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Wow, I heard about this on the local news yesterday, but (fortunately) they left out the part about Naruto. I had no idea this incident was "Anime related".

This is the third incident I've heard of involving Naruto (the first one outside of the country) this year that I know of. At some point though they probably will identify this show all too well and then it will start to come under heavy fire, if it already hasn't. And this is what negatives effects I'm worried will be left on parents.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Okay, back again.

King Arthur, you make some good points with Darwinism, but what many people seem to forget is that there is social Darwinism and then there's biological Darwinism. Social means only the strong deserve to live and the weak do not. Biologists, including Darwin himself, believed natural selection involved survival of the fittest, "fittest" meaning those that best adapt to their environment. Think of it as self-interest. The ant knows that it can't do it alone, so it forms a collective niche with other ants, surviving through its own self-interest. Wolves survive through packs, lions through prides, humans through civilizations, ABC through Disney. Some animals even go through synergy with one another in terms of mutual interest. Africa may be weak and full of sand, but through mutual interest it can band together with other nations to outlive its environment, and through self-interest, we get their resources for helping them out.

And the problem with this kid? Is he going to even learn from this at all? Maybe, maybe not. If he's already ten, thought, chances are he's not. And where will the blame go? The kid? The parents? Will they take responsibility? God no! We're Americans! We can blame anyone else we want.

And there lies the true problem: nobody will take responsibility for what they did. Any kid can make up excuses for being dumb. We actually PAY someone in a suit to make excuses for us. We PAY them to tell twelve people it's someone else's fault, like they'd give a damn. It's like a friggin' lottery; we don't work but instead pay someone else to get some money back, with 50/50 chances. We are lazy. We will not take any responsibility for our actions and blame it on other people, spending hundreds of dollars on crap that wasn't anyone's absolute fault to begin with.

I hate our court system. The only reason I don't fight people is to stay out of court. I care about my job too much to lose money sitting at a booth. And the jury? It's a crock. They'll complain that their "brother" is being put down by the "man" who can never be trusted. This one black woman says she doesn't trust the police officer's testimony because he's white, the defendant's black, and all police are scum; but earlier she jabbed on and on about her son becoming a cop and how she's proud of him! How'd you like it if the defendant shot your son, you stupid c***? How about if I just yell out HANG THE F***ER! right in the courtroom? It all ended in mistrial too. God, I hate this system.

What are we talking about again?

Last edited by prime_pm on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
This is the third incident I've heard of involving Naruto (the first one outside of the country) this year that I know of. At some point though they probably will identify this show all too well and then it will start to come under heavy fire, if it already hasn't. And this is what negatives effects I'm worried will be left on parents.

I hope not. A kid died copying Go, Diego, Go! and that show's still on the air.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Tsunami Jones wrote:

No, you're wrong. It's very funny...

I have no sympathy for these children. They are all idiots...

This is comedy, not tragedy.

Like I've said before, I'm not sure you'd find it funny if this child was close to you. Maybe you could go to this kid's loved ones and laugh at their tears. You could go to the hospital and laugh at the boy who's life is in danger; I bet he'll see the humour in it too. Rolling Eyes

What makes this whole thing worse is because he imitated an anime, it's big news here. That kid will surely hear about all these negative comments about him being an idiot. Anyone else thinking this will mess with his self-esteem?

Last edited by Lemwon on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcwave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh my... that is close to me x.x
Luminesse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
I wonder how they buried him that he could not get himself out ? the sandbox was only 1 foot deep, did he do a head stand then they buried him ? If he was laying down, he should of been able to get up,, unless perhaps they piled a foot of sand on top of him...hmm.

I was thinking the exact same thing. But even with a foot of sand on him, you'd think the kid would be able to break free.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Darwinism is actually the survival of the fittest and the smartest (not necessarily the wisest). Both opinion do have a point, but both acts are still self-center. I do believe that change has to happen. But with Darwinism involve, change will come very slowly (you know this). But one can't expect for such a tremendous shift to happen anything along the next 500 years. Yes, we are depleting our resource, we are wasting the bosom of our God-given planet, and we are screwing with whatever the hell we need for our future. We can both agree that evolution (social and natural) is not perfect, but take into account that things can not be fixed in one answer. I do believe that we still need the stupid people as much as we need the smart people, the law of pluralism. My reasons for this that we, the human race, can make it possible to shift from the natural. We could not possibly throw out the Bible, Freud's work, or any other literature because all of them reveal a part of the answer we are looking for. Just like we can not take into account to authoritarianly kill off the weak for the strong, oh how can we justify for such an action. Though this message and your message will undoubtedly have a minuscule effect in the world, at least they are part of the human process. Please take this quote into account.

"No man is an Island, entire of it selfe; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of maine; if Clod be washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontoire were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involve in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know from the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."
In John Donne's essay

Consequently, I do agree with you with "something needs to go." But that something should not be precious human lives. That something must be our greediness and our wasteful behavior. We need to practice conservation and altruism, follow what Christ left behind. We are not insects, we are not dumb monkey, but we are conscious beings, meaning something special (Yes, this sounds prideful).

Sadly, you are right about how people have take advantage of other groups to gain something. But is not that the law of evolution, at least the law of social evolution. It is that, somehow, someway, sometime, something is going to happen to change. Your idea seems both demoralizing and dehumanizing to our nature. This means that this is almost nothing to live for, nothingness. No incentive to do good, we would just be doing what we are told, no freedom. Apathy would rule, and none of use would want that. There is a need for change, and we are fully capable to do that, but are to comfortable, western society, to do anything about it.
Tsunami Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Lemwon wrote:
That kid will surely hear about all these negative comments about him being an idiot. Anyone else thinking this will mess with his self-esteem?

What should he hear? I hope that his parents tell him that what he did was incredibly stupid. He did something stupid and should feel stupid. He needs to learn from his mistake. Maybe it'll hurt his self-esteem (better than giving him a gold star for being a moron), but maybe it'll also build some damn character.

I bet down the line, years from now, the kid will look back on the whole thing and laugh.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I never said to praise him for risking his life, but reading through 7 pages of comments, most void of compassion for his well-being and calling him an idiot? That's past punishment; that's emotional abuse.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
good thing Bleach is on Adult Swim, who knows what that would cause.

but seriously... this is getting a bit ridiculous. only thing to blame here is shitty parenting.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Another kid. Got damn it. Reminds me of how everyone hurt each other when Power Rangers was super popular.

Dumb dumb dumb.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Poor child he was having fun and got a little carried away, and now his life hangs in the balance.

P.S, It's interesting, the way these kinds of stories split the community into those who mock the child and those who don't, we even have a clumsy debate about various forms of Darwinism. Some people, due to their heartlessness, seem to be acting as eugenicist, which makes me both laugh, and weep at the same time.
Shawaazu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Once again, a young child watching Naruto has injured themselves. I bet this is giving anime an even worse reputation. Well, at least the kids alive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8