• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Dies After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Same_Shark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
StarMagnus, please re-read you post. A lot of the things you said just doesn't make sense.
blodz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
it is sad that the kid died, but according to what I read in the newspaper it said that the kids he was playing with buried his face in the sand and after they notice he wasn't breathing they alerted the parents. But they didn't mentioned anything about being the fault of an episode from naruto or something related to it. my condolences to the parents.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thats just realy sad. It does not look like the parents are going to blame Naruto for their loss, just by knowing that they are donating his organs to save other kids, it shows the high lvl of maturity of his parents.
But i still say, the wave of the stupid ones will soon be on its way, i can already see an army of stupid people saying that anime is responsible for this kids death.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Navak wrote:

When asking for people to show X, it is usually good to display quality X yourself. Instead, Psycho followed the namesake and acted Psycho.

I haven't read a post from anyone that thought it was funny, I have read several that thought it was a stupid. Guess what, burying your head in sand IS stupid.

I don't dispute the fact that what he did was stupid. Of course it was. The thing is that's what kids do, they do stupid shit. That's part of being a kid, doing stupid shit. That's why parents are supposed to be there to watch them. To make sure they don't do something that could hurt themselves. Please explain how my post was Psycho. I wasn't expecting or asking anyone to show anything. I wasn't even asking anyone to agree with me. Those making light of the situation can continue doing so and continue to show their own shallow nature. I'd also love to know between the decency and respect which one you think I'm not showing. If it's respect why should I respect those who would laugh or mock the death of a 10 year old? That's a joke. If it's decency I'm not showing then again I'm sorry but I fail to see why decency should be shown to such people. If speaking out and saying people laughing at or belittling the death of a 10year old boy is psycho then I guess I should be locked away in a padded room. Take me away.

-.-ReVoLt-.- wrote:
now that's sick: Codey's family has decided to honor his memory by donating his organs. how is that honoring anything. Thats pretty disturbing. ok, i died and my organs are taken away from my body
those are some sick parents.

So donating his organs so that other children who might be terminally sick and need replacements is sick? I think it's very noble of his parents to do that. Getting replacement organs for transplants is hard enough and even harder for children. It's honoring his memory by giving others a second chance that might need a heart, kidney, lung etc. Finding organs or bone marrow for children is even harder for children (those around the ages of 12-13 and under whose bodies haven't matured fully) then it is for adults. Their immune systems and bodies are also weaker then adults so they also cannot wait as long as a full grown adult can for the replacements they might need.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Psycho, you should come down a little, you are having to deal with ignorant statements from posters. They say how they feel about it, and other people will look at that and feel how you do. And it doesn't help those posters to make outright statements when they don't think it through. Just don't overdo your part.
Neoguest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
This is sad to heard, now I worry if this would effect Naruto sales.
Uncertainty2010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
That kid is burying his head in heaven's sandboxes now.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think the aftereffects go beyond Naruto and anime in this case.
Sure, some goit from the jack thompson school of goityness will try it on but I wouldn't worry about it.

My thoughts on this are 100% behind the parents and the kids involved in the fatal accident.
I swear those kids are the ones that have come up worst in this whole ordeal.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Alright, a few of you need to simmer a bit. Yes, it's sad that some don't care but like it or not that's just the way it is. Faking concern isn't going to really do anything or help anyone. Those that don't care though don't need to come in and crack jokes about it either, it's not really funny and doesn't add much to the conversation. Not naming names, just saying let's make sure we keep it civil guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reeksakapanther

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I see many pointing blame and after reading the news posts and the responses in this, I find myself sort of torn.

Truthfully in a way, no single thing can be blamed. We don't know the entire circumstances, we weren't there to witness it.

However, true the boy was 10 and the others were younger but it did state the younger kids thought his thrashing about was part of the playing.

We can't blame the parents. Yes, the young boy was over at a friends house. Yes, the friends parents were home but think of this..

Maybe the father of the friend did go out before and see them digging a hole. As one poster stated boys will be boys, getting dirty and playing. Maybe the father thought they were just digging.

While I am saddened of the loss, people are right. The friends and the parents whom the house belonged to are more than likely questioning themselves. I think that the parents of the friends are basically beating themselves up over this whole ordeal. Saying what if...

But I do find it heartbreaking as an adult that it seems to me that more and more anime is getting blamed for these accidents. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but I haven't seen InuYasha or Bleach be blamed for deaths. Perhaps this is because not too many people keep swords in their homes.

As for these "adults and teens" who go out and kill people and they blame the games and shows. My opinion is that there is an underlying problem there already. Instead of facing the facts of perhaps a mental problem or something health releated, they prefure to blame everything else, instead of what is really wrong.

It is very tragic that a parent looses a child, no matter what the age. We can just hope and pray it doesn't happen again. While it might, hopefully not soon.

I just don't like the pointing of fingers everytime something happens in our society. It isn't fair. Japan and these other places didn't have to give us rights to see their shows but they have.

As for the time frame of Naruto being on later. It's not completely true. I live in Florida and have seen the show, unedited at seven, eight and nine o'clock at night on Cartoon Network.

As I said, I hope nothing like this happens again anytime soon.

My thoughts and prayer are with his family.

What I don't get is while Naruto doesn't have the blood and gore that Bleach and InuYasha do, why do they not have it on the time frame of Adult Swim? That's just a curious thought to me. I think any anime with fighting or blood or whatever should be in the Adult Swim time frame, even if it not rated PG13 or T. That's just my opinion.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
reeksakapanther wrote:
What I don't get is while Naruto doesn't have the blood and gore that Bleach and InuYasha do, why do they not have it on the time frame of Adult Swim? That's just a curious thought to me. I think any anime with fighting or blood or whatever should be in the Adult Swim time frame, even if it not rated PG13 or T. That's just my opinion.

It wouldn't have gotten nearly as popular on AS as it did on CN. AS likely would have aired it at a time when no ones awake and the show has more preteen/teenage appeal.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Watching a "South Park" episode right now with people burying their heads in sand. Maybe the kid got it from that; and just said it was from "Naruto" so he wouldn't get in trouble from watching an adult cartoon.
sykofangurl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel really, really sorry for the little boy, and since I have one myself I would be devastated if something happened to him. On this note, I think I can speak when I say the only people to blame for this incident is the parents, not anime, not the boy, not his friends.

My kids have ALWAYS watched anime. We watch it daily. I love anime myself, obsessively Anime smile and watch it with them sometimes. The ones that are not quite appropriate for them I watch when they are not home or after they go to bed. But never once have my kids thought they could actually do anything in anime or any other video games or movies, and live.

Over the years they have learned what is reality and what is not.

Where are the parents to sit with them and watch some of the shows, anime or not, and discuss things like that?

Where were the parents when the child was being buried in the sand?

But as usual, just as with video games, the devastated parents will blame anyone but themselves, and then prey on the anime and gaming industry and the creators.

My opinion is that if they have other children, they need to be made to take parenting classes and hopefully it will prevent another death.

Just for the record, I never had to put the household chemicals up on a top shelf somewhere either. My kiddos knew when they were little what cabinets not to get in, and what not to touch. But I was always there for them, not hovering over them like I'm sure some of you are thinking, but aware. Aware and not afraid to take the time to explain the world around them.

My sincere condolences for the family. Its a harsh lesson to learn, no matter what the situation. Sad
Mika20

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
My prayers go out to the family and friends.

This is just a terrible loss. Honestly, I probably don't have anything to say on the comments talking bout how the anime industry will be effected and such.
All I can think of is how the family is affected by all this and if the families now will get up and watch what their children do. Cause really, anything can happen.
ComaDivine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

I don't dispute the fact that what he did was stupid. Of course it was. The thing is that's what kids do, they do stupid shit. That's part of being a kid, doing stupid shit. That's why parents are supposed to be there to watch them. To make sure they don't do something that could hurt themselves. .

What happened was tragic, but I think its hard to blame the parents for not vigilantly watching the kids in a situation like this. Parents should be able to expect some common sense and maturity from older children. Given a safe environment, kids should be able to fend for themselves for a while.

I'm appalled that none of the kids considered the implications of burying someone head first, and didn't raise an alarm sooner. Sand has a lot in common with water, and most children who have been anywere near a pool know that you can't hold your head under indefinitely. This is very basic stuff - like knowing not the spit against the wind or throw a brick directly up. It's not quite the same as misjudging distance when jumping out of a tree to sprain and ankle because you don't know your body's limits.

Parents can't "watch" their kids and hold their hand when crossing the street indefinitely. They'd be much doing their children a much bigger service by making sure they know the basics of how the world works, what can kill them and what can help them stay alive.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9