• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm thinking about buying some Manga...Reccommendations?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luciandar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Also, if you could, how much does Manga ususally cost?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Manga ranges from about $7.95-$15.95. (The hardback of Shirahime Syo: Snow Goddess Tales was $20.00, but I think that's a rare ocurrence) However, I think a majority are in the $9.99 range.

For suggestions, might I recommend any of these pre-existing threads on manga recommendations:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4575

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4823

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4971

For future reference, it might help if you were a little more specific in what type of genre you enjoy and if there's something in particular you're looking for.
Gekigangar3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote
You need to look no furthur than the first page and you see 2 manga recomendation threads. You also don't give any info about what you like, so there is no way to help you other than give you personal recomendations, and since everyones tastes are different it's sorta pointless. Next time look for some topics on the first couple of pages that can help you, or use the topic search to avoid pointless threads. BTW Most manga are about $9.99, bigger ones can easilly go past that, and really small ones may be a buck or two cheaper.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I have great recommendations; Just read everything I've read!

animenewsnetwork.com/MyManga/public.php

I thought it was really cool for that Clamp's Shirahime Snow Tales to come out in hard cover. It was really good too. One of the few things that I like by clamp.
alexia_19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote
Manga costs About $10.00 for the tokyo pop ones Wink !!! Cheap huh!!! Well one of my best mangas that i have is Kare Kano. It is funny and dramatic Laughing !!! Go to:

http://www.tokyopop.com

for Cheap Very Happy mangas!!!

[[b]Edit: Removed multiple emoticons. Alexia, please use fewer emoticons. There's no need to drown your message in them.[/b]]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote
Well it usually depends on the company and how they price it. When dealing with anything that has been in Shonen Jump, Viz usually drops the price to $7.95 per volume which I think is a steal. Though I thought Viz over priced the original Tenchi manga which was $14.95 per volume when it wasn't even that big. I think almost everything that Tokyo Pop publishes is priced at $9.99. Dark Horse though usually raises the price of their manga to $13.95 per volume for manga like Hellsing and Bersek. Unless they're publishing a manga series with large volumes like Trigun, then it will be $14.95. Hope that helps and I suggest you look at the company's websites to find the most acurate pricing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:43 am Reply with quote
MARS is a definate good one, GTO, and Excel Saga. I know that if you get a 10% discount card at Walden's Books you can get manga for $9.71. It's pretty cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gekigangar3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:39 pm Reply with quote
If you look around on the internet you'll be able to find sales on manga from the bigger online stores, and if you find big sales you can get your manga for a lot cheaper than in a bookstore, but you do have to pay shipping.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
theres also used manga on ebay and amazon.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this topic has been done many, many times. I'm just going to list everything I've read and enjoyed outside of Shonen Jump manga.

Fushigi Yugi
Inu-Yasha
FAKE
Gravitation
Gundam Wing
Vampire Princess Miyu
Peach Girl
Trigun
Tokyo Mew Mew
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Third Triumverate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Might I recommend MegaTokyo. If you know what leet or 1337 is you will like this quite comical manga. This is an exceptional on because you can read it for free on its website www.megatokyo.com Very Happy 600|) 1|_|<|<
^ . ^

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd recommend getting the Blood manga by Benkyo Tamaoki. You had better like adult content in your anime though. Other than that, get Berserk, It's the best thing out there right now, in my opinion, of course. If your into eva, check out the manga. The only bad part is viz seems to take forever to release new books, but whats already out is really good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1