• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Witch Hunter Robin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:19 am Reply with quote
It is so perfect for a live-action tv show. It should be pretty simple for the most part. It would give them a little more money to spend on effects and such.

The characters are sort of mysterious and gothic. What ever they change, I think it will be great.
_Gaara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard about this on another forum I go to, I was pretty excited Smile
I wanna be robin! hahaha lol like that would ever happen Very Happy
It would be cool to be in one of the episodes though :O Laughing

I think they should keep her hairstyle, I quite like it! In fact, if my hair was long enough, I would attempt to make my hair like it as well, hahaha. Its part of her character in my opinion Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:15 am Reply with quote
On cinescape.com today, there's an announcement from the Sci-Fi Channel about the upcoming lineup for the 2004-2005 season. In it:

Quote:
WITCHHUNTER ROBIN: Based on a Japanese anime, this series follows a group of trained cops that seek to capture witches. One of the newest cops, Robin, is secretly a witch herself and uses her powers to track down the evildoers. Producers Roy Lee and Doug Davison (THE RING) will executive produce

link: http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Television&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270355&obj_id=41212
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
Anime smallmouth Great news. ... *stares at the EARTHSEA series also announced on that page* Shocked *squeals*
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that, out of all the anime-based live-action productions which American studios and channels have announced or have been rumoured to be interested in doing since 2001 or so, this turns out to be the only one that will ever get beyond "development Hell" or "preproduction limbo".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nagashi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
What I want to know is that if this show is made and broadcast in japan, are they gonna dub it? If they do, will there be a sub/dub war in japan? It would somewhat amuse me Smile

More on topic, minimum changes are best. I will also be pissed if they change any of the characters, particularly to 'sex them up'. Even Doujima.

I'm very much NOT excited about this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Cosidering I wasn't too wild about the series anyway, so I don't care what they do. I never watched the Ring, only Ringu, and couldn't swallow a bit of it. It wasn't scary, interesting or even remotely worth remaking, neither is Robin. Live action adaptions are a bad idea. Can't these guys stop ripping off people and come up with something original? Hopefully this will be better than that over-rated show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
nagashi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, Live action GTO rocked way harder than the manga or anime could ever hope to.

But.. the sci-fi channel doing it? erg...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
Hey now, Live action GTO rocked way harder than the manga or anime could ever hope to.

Hey-hey. I was actually just thinking about that. I would say GTO live action is on par with the anime. Unfortunately, I haven't read the manga, but both series are one of my favorites of all-time.

I'm just amazed at the similarities between the anime and live action series. Great actors in the live one too.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey, live action versions are not always cheap copies and most are foreign made, I've a yahoo group (search for it yourself) cataloging these ventures and from what I can see, these are some dang good sounding/looking adaptations.

Cutie honey, devil man briliant looking for starters.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, this of course can go anyway. I'm guessing it'll be call an X-Files rip off. There are similarities and I could guess the show would be similar. Heck the toon is in it's dry tone at least.

Anyway, as for casting, for some reason for an American Robin, I can't help but think that Evan Rachel Wood would be perfect.

Also is there any chance of chaging the location from Japan to.. Salam? Meh. Just a biased idea cause I live near there and have been dying to get a show done there.

-Xenos
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Also is there any chance of chaging the location from Japan to.. Salam? Meh. Just a biased idea cause I live near there and have been dying to get a show done there.

Aside from Nagira's pachinko habit and some of the character names, Witch Hunter Robin really never gave off much of a Japanese aura in terms of locale. Because of that, it could work just as easily in any majour North American or European city as it did in Tokyo, if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
People are bringing up how they shouldn't bring in any Robin fanservice. Well... the anime had some. Sure it wasn't everywhere, but lessee here... the girl slept in the NUDE, and when she was working at the cafe, that outfit was rather... >.> yeah.

I agree that WHR never really gave off a Japanese theme. The homebase was in a redone catholic church, and they never really had any cases concerning anything of Japanese culture. I think pretty much any city *Stay away from San Fransico, Charmed witches there* would do. Toronto or New York would be espeically nice.

I hope they at least try to keep the hairdo in some episodes.

Anyone know where they're going to be filming it? I wanna be an extra!!
Nickythetokyoboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
I just worry about the music. I've become so attached to the BGM in Robin i think i might cry if they use some crappy euro-beat or cheesey left over music ( with all respect to one of my favorite shows) from The X-Files.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Well... the anime had some. Sure it wasn't everywhere, but lessee here... the girl slept in the NUDE,

Not all nudity is fanservice. Sometimes there's simply nudity without any real exploitative intent...Witch Hunter Robin & Ayashi no Ceres are two examples that come to mind.

It should also be noted that you never really see anything of Robin's, as well. If it were fanservice, either something would be visible or her figure would have been accentuated in the sheets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4