• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo/GDH Contacts Crunchyroll Video Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Actually, FUNi and Bandai Ent. should have checked with their contacts before making any statements. It's pretty obvious that the GONZO deal didn't take place in less than a day.

I see it from a more political sense. Funi might already have been aware of Gonzo "talking with the enemy" as it were, and made its opinion on the matter known in the most vocal and public way possible. I doubt that's how things actually happened, but who knows.

Kudos to them for speaking out either way.

Last edited by xstylus on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Quote:
not to mention the timing. the DAY after FUNi and Bandai BOTH speak out against them they mention a Japanese company supports them... really, it's too convenient for them.

And to add, from GDH's own recent press release I just saw:

Quote:
The venture to simulcast the animation on different platforms aims to maximize the synergistic promotion as it creates viewing opportunities for wider audience and accommodates more sophisticated needs of our viewers, thus contributing to anti-piracy efforts against illegal file-sharing and downloading.

...which makes the general 'working with Gonzo' news a little harder to square.

Also in general, Crunchyroll references the series 'The Tower of Druaga', which from other news (animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2008-03-10/gdh-to-simulcast-a-new-animation-series-nationwide) seems GDH is trying to distribute/simulcast as widely as popular to begin with. It's apparently got a big MMO tie-in, so the anime in fact may be a glorified commercial. This may be a case of Crunchyroll hyping something out of proportion; not any 'regular series' workings with GDH, just some feedback on an anime/product tie-in that they (GDH) are already trying to 'give away' as much as possible.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
wow, I don't know what to say, this is the most surprising turn of events in the industry vs. fansub fight. A us company attacks and their Japanese licensor's are trying to form an alliance all in the same time and same site. I don't know what they talked about or ideas there brought up so I won't make any good or bad opinions on what they are doing, I just want to hear what funimation has to say now, it will be interesting.
mauz15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
I think this is REALLY STUPID of Gonzo. This is like America contacting Al Quaeda and saying, "Hey, can we let bygones be bygones and work together?"

Shut those ass hats down.

Not really.

Dramatic semantics wont lead us anywhere.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Actually, FUNi and Bandai Ent. should have checked with their contacts before making any statements. It's pretty obvious that the GONZO deal didn't take place in less than a day.

I see it from a more political sense. Funi might already have been aware of Gonzo "talking with the enemy" as it were, and made its opinion on the matter known in the most vocal and public way possible. I doubt that's how things actually happened, but who knows.

Kudos to them for speaking out either way.

Well, it doesn't help too much if they were going to try to negotiate with CR and now they may have to pacify GONZO and any other R2 involved. VC involvement means you're going legit imo. FUNi and Bandai Ent. should have analyzed the situation and then responded imo after the GONZO announcement or pulled an ADV type of announcement and not responding to the internet furor over a 2 week old event imo.

Even YouTube had problems taken down all the illegal content they had up initially.
calawain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
I think this is REALLY STUPID of Gonzo. This is like America contacting Al Quaeda and saying, "Hey, can we let bygones be bygones and work together?"

Shut those ass hats down.

Except that your analogy is waaayyyy off. Comparing terrorism to copyright infringement is just plain asinine.

It's always best in the world of business to work things out without relating to legal measures. Working together saves money and in the end creates better deals. Litigation is long, expensive, and often achieves nothing.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Way to go Gonzo. Maybe for once you can have a realistic ending that doesn't fall through in shambles.

So the Japanese can talk to them and work out a deal but it can't go the other way. Confused I guess waving large sums of money int he face do work after all.

This is the time for other compaines to get on this. We could have legal subs in a timely fashion by the end of the week.

I can only hope they allow downloads that you can keep, in some way- on your computer or on the site. Even if its for the *insert time here* I have to wait to get the boxset.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
calimike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Spill milk everywhere!!! Shocked
superdeformed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
"Traditional" media is dying. We are at about the breaking point. Some companies will either shrink or go under some will adapt, but there will be new companies to take their place.

Crunchy Roll along and other sites like Hulu and even iTunes will be leading the charge and many other will be following along.

No more one format only, multiple formats and quick turn around time is what people are demanding and the one who will provide that wins, plain and simple.

If Gonzo does get in bed with crunchy roll and they profit then the other studios will follow.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
The plot thickens...

Indeed Gonzo has scored an incredible coup. Who would have thought a simple announcement could instantly transform the entire population of an internet message board into businessmen without peer? Now all they have to do is learn how to harness them...
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Quote:
Well, it doesn't help too much if they were going to try to negotiate with CR and now they may have to pacify GONZO and any other R2 involved.

I'm not sure of that hikaru004, isn't it more like GDH is going to have to pacify it's long-standing R1 distribution partners? If it does turn out that GDH/Gonzo is going to be allowing more then just the 'Tower of Druaga' property that's being pushed free already in a variety of sources, then their essentially giving R1 companies a bit of a metaphysical kick to a sensitive area here.

Beyond looking like a hypocrite for very publicly bashing piracy and then jumping into bed with a site that made its 'bones' off of it, less superficially it presents a case of the Japanese Industry, which has consistently fought/resisted R1 expansion into digital distribution, suddenly jumping on board with a shady start-up, that's got to be infuriating. Secondly, splitting digital distribution rights and physical (DVD) rights has to drastically drop the value of the latter.

I would think if there's any 'fence mending' needed, it would be theoretically from GDH's side, not visa-versa.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

Excellent post, Goodpenguin. I concur.

-Tofu
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Or Bandai and Funi can reconsider what they said and talk to Crunchyroll, and maybe work things out. Given that aside Gonzo seems to have looked at the situation, and it could give them an economical edge that they may have been looking for.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
"Traditional" media is dying. We are at about the breaking point. Some companies will either shrink or go under some will adapt, but there will be new companies to take their place.

Crunchy Roll along and other sites like Hulu and even iTunes will be leading the charge and many other will be following along.

No more one format only, multiple formats and quick turn around time is what people are demanding and the one who will provide that wins, plain and simple.

If Gonzo does get in bed with crunchy roll and they profit then the other studios will follow.

Although the topic is extremely different, you sound a lot like hippies did when they were forecasting the age of Aquarius...

If you're a hippy though, I'm probably a hippy too, just a bit more skeptical (and I would like to think a bit more knowledgeable on the subject that the average fan).

I too believe that it's time for a change, and that the companies that don't adapt will be in serious trouble.

While I expect the environment to change in favor of consumers/fans, I don't think it's going to be the paradise that you're hoping for.

iTunes is indeed a good model of what we can expect, along with online-on-demand viewing sites like similar to ADV's TAN online.

However sites like CR, I do not expect to be part of the future. Right now we're in a bit of a "Wild-Wild-West" stage when it comes to online media, and eventually the legitimate businesses are going to push the outlaws out. A few of the outlaws are going to adapt and become legit businesses, but by the time that happens, they won't look anything like they do now.

Turning my metaphor into something a bit more specific, sites like the current CR are going to fade away. If CR is still around in a couple years, it'll only be offering the media that it has been given permission to offer, it won't be the free for all that it is today. To be honest though, I don't expect that to happen, while GDH has shown some interest in CR, I think most companies aren't going to want to play ball with a website that was stealing their content just a short while before.

To put it another way, I expect CR to be anime's Napster.

-t
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
@News:

I wonder if this means we can expect to see banner ads from Crunchyroll on ANN? Razz

[/joke]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8