• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo/GDH Contacts Crunchyroll Video Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mauz15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Farla-hime wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:

Perhaps Gonzo could legally ask for a piece of the "donation profit" that Crunchyroll asks users for? Or ask Crunchyroll to pay royalty fees? Until I see some more news concerning this, I don't really understand how Gonzo plans on profiting for the long run.

Crunchyroll changed their donations page (yesterday, I believe) so that users can opt for their "donations" to go to one of 2 Japanese studios, Gonzo being one of them. I see it as a pathetic attempt at avoiding prosecution, shamelessly masked as a sudden sense of veneration for the companies they've been stealing from for the past 2 years. Interesting that the first companies they feel the sudden urge to pay restitution to are the same two they are making business deals with...

Currently donations are disabled and gonzo being among the donation options is just a temporary sample right now.
There are also other donation options, one called 'Other' that apparently lets you 'specify' to where you wish the donation to go.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
*sighs* A ploy will always be a ploy to me. Donate to "whoever you wish to donate to"? Is CR still trying to find a way out?

That reminds me of some programs that you sign up with concerning website hosting and they ask you which programs do you wish to have featured on your site as ads. You have a choice between family, food, etc.

There's no way you can donate to the fansubbers who did the work as they're not connected to CR in any way. There's no way you can donate to any other respectful creators/owners whose work are put on CR, illegally.
mauz15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Unknown Memory wrote:
*sighs* A ploy will always be a ploy to me. Donate to "whoever you wish to donate to"? Is CR still trying to find a way out?

That reminds me of some programs that you sign up with concerning website hosting and they ask you which programs do you wish to have featured on your site as ads. You have a choice between family, food, etc.

There's no way you can donate to the fansubbers who did the work as they're not connected to CR in any way. There's no way you can donate to any other respectful creators/owners whose work are put on CR, illegally.

Hence the word temporary sample, hence my use of the words apparently and 'other' and 'specify' being in quotations.

All I'm saying is, argue to any side you wish to but give the complete picture, is not that hard.

Crunchyroll changed their donations page (yesterday, I believe) so that users can opt for their "donations" to go to one of 2 Japanese studios, Gonzo being one of them.

Such statement is too narrow, especially when the thing is addressing looks right now as only a sample concept.

Many of the posts here can still look valid enough and justified enough in whatever points they wish to address minus the unnecessary use of dramatic words. 'shamelessly masked' 'raped', al quaeda analogies, etc.
Farla-hime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
mauz15 wrote:
Many of the posts here can still look valid enough and justified enough in whatever points they wish to address minus the unnecessary use of dramatic words. 'shamelessly masked' 'raped', al quaeda analogies, etc.

But it's just so entertaining to come back and see what the hired goons come up with in defense of it! Very Happy

Add --> More pathetic attempts at not getting sued, as CR to tries to convert to P2P. Too little too late, as someone already pointed out: CR can still be sued up to years following their illegal activity.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
If you search that site for "GDH" you'll see that episodes for 9 unlicensed shows and Real Bout High School (formerly licensed by Tokyopop) have been removed as "licensed by GDH".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so NOW they start removing Gonzo stuff? Do they plan on removing any other unlicensed shows?

Oh, wait, that would mean there would be no more Crunchyroll, wouldn't it? Too bad, eh? /sarcasm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Farla-hime wrote:

Crunchyroll changed their donations page (yesterday, I believe) so that users can opt for their "donations" to go to one of 2 Japanese studios, Gonzo being one of them.

Frankly, that's intensely insulting, not to mention demeaning. Companies such as Gonzo shouldn't have to rely on or ask for donations. Anime is not a charity.
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
I agree with Tempest's analogy about the current situation being a sort of "Wild-wild-west" atmosphere.

It is my humble opinion that eventually, at leas in the US, the DCMA is going to come into play just like it did with Napster.

As Tempest pointed out, CR might be anime's version of the Napster situation.

As far as the international aspect is concerned the World Intellectual Property Organization and the Bernes Treaty could possibly be used by Japanese anime companies to force fansubbers outside of the US to conform to whatever new standards may be forthcoming (if any).

As was already said on this thread, the whole atmosphere of fansubbing and piracy is going to change and the "Outlaws" will be pushed to the way side as the legitamite companies enforce their legal rights to protect their intellectual properties.

That's my take on the situation anyway.

KT
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:
As far as the international aspect is concerned the World Intellectual Property Organization and the Bernes Treaty could possibly be used by Japanese anime companies to force fansubbers outside of the US to conform to whatever new standards may be forthcoming (if any).

Better yet, you have CHAMP and the NET Act of 1997, which falls into play since CR distributed licensed stuff (that is, titles which were licensed in the US). Berne has also been used to support the NET Act in the past, which could open a whole new world of problems if it were to be used (in addition to the monetary fines, it also uses felony prosecution with mandatory jail sentences if one is convicted).

*grabs popcorn*
Farla-hime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I just thought this tidbit from ActiveAnime's interview with Arthur Smith, President of GDH International was interesting in light of this news:

ActiveAnime.com wrote:

4. Would GDH also go after individual fansubbers and enforce the same legal actions?

Fan subbing is only the first part of the problem….the other part is those who post fan subs on Bit Torrent sites and YouTube etc. and those sites who actually sell our content without any permission and without paying any royalties….I am sure you know which sites I am talking about!! They charge a monthly fee for free downloads….these sites are all illegal.

And this was also interesting:

ActiveAnime.com wrote:

[...] I have a feeling that certain people feel they are entitled somehow to take our content for free – these people are not supporters of anime, they are selfish and will destroy the industry for everyone if they are not stopped[.]
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
Yoda117;
Quote:
Better yet, you have CHAMP and the NET Act of 1997, which falls into play since CR distributed licensed stuff (that is, titles which were licensed in the US). Berne has also been used to support the NET Act in the past, which could open a whole new world of problems if it were to be used (in addition to the monetary fines, it also uses felony prosecution with mandatory jail sentences if one is convicted).

I forgot about the Net Act of 1997. I'd say you have a really good point there Yoda117, imo. Assuming that Gonzo/GDH can prove that CR willfully intented to infringe on their copyrighted material, there very well could be a criminal case here.
Considering CR is allowing this activity to go unchecked on their website I think its safe to assume they're culpable for any damages Gonzo/GDH feel they've encured due to the file sharing going on.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all unfolds IMHO.
calimike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
CR user informed me that CR removed several anime from CR. CR user suggest Funimation, BV, ADV and other may be license some anime. Who know?

It was Licnese by GDH and Aniplex. There's expect more remove anime soon.

Pinky Street OVA
Strike Witches OVA
Master of Epic: The Animation Age
Getsumen To Heiki Mina
Marginal Prince
Seto no Hanayome
Samurai Girl Real Bout High School
Rosario to Vampire
Kaze no Stigma
Dragonaut - The Resonance
Persona -trinity soul-
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
I think this is REALLY STUPID of Gonzo. This is like America contacting Al Quaeda and saying, "Hey, can we let bygones be bygones and work together?"

Shut those ass hats down.

Exactely. It's a plan that's going to backfire tenfold. Not to mention promote illegal downloading and fansubbing one hundred fold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
Hi Everyone

Crunchyroll is also going to speak on a panel at Otakon!!! Yay!!!

Please come and listen if you have time, and say Hi to the speaker~

Panel Details
Topic - Building Upon Crunchyroll:
Crunchyroll welcomes members, fans, industry and press members to come see what we have been doing and what we have in store to benefit users and industry companies along with a special announcement and unveiling.
Time:
Saturday 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

PS Btw I won’t be at Otakon, I gotta stay in Cali to run the website!

Special announcment and unveiling eh? (Got to run the website my ass, more like he doesnt want people to find out that he's a 40 year old buisnessman and not a collage kid)

Could someone also explain to me why a site such as CR gets a panal at events such as this.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
Kireek, we get it. You don't like Crunchroll. Many of us hold similar views. But is it really necessary to rant about CR in every unrelated illegal distribution news item thread or rez a CR news thread that died months ago? I suspect most visitors to the Talkback forum are already quite aware of CR's history and activities. Cut-and-pasting posts from the corporate mascot and posing rhetorical questions in every other thread probably won't influence their opinion on the subject.

IBTL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8