• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warrick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
The GitS and Lain opening themes are excellent. Some others I particularly enjoyed:
"Shell" by Bana from Witch Hunter Robin
"Cloud Age Symphony" by Shuntaro Okino from Last Exile
"R.O.D" by YKZ from R.O.D -The TV-
"Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen" by Susumu Hirasawa from Paranoia Agent
skyesage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
My favorite themes; a toss up between:

BECK
and
Black Lagoon
and the ever famous;
Death Note #2

I definitely like these more because they are not as "poppy" as a lot of other openers.

Oh, yes, really awesome Smile. Especially Death Note #2. Hooray?

Personally I totally agree with the GitS openings--I also like Bleach OP 1&3, Fullmetal Alchemist OP 4, Eureka Seven (All Four), the X OP (eh heh heh), Cardcaptor Sakura OP 1 (aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh) aaand uhhhh I personally like the Samurai Champloo OP a lot Smile.
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Great column this week Answerman! I agreed with all of your anime opening choices...they're all amazing openings that I have on my MP3 player and listen to pretty frequently. Anime music is my favorite part of any series, so it was cool to see you explore that topic. Anime smile

It's tough for me to name my 5 favorite openings of all time, so I'll go with my favorites of right now:

Lucky Star
Air
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai
Love Hina OP
Azumanga Daioh

And one more because I forgot it...be warned though, the main girl is naked through the whole thing...
Elfen Lied

It's awesome because it's in Latin. Very Happy

Last edited by WorldofElegance on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
8JF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
WorldofElegance, you have extra characters //url in each link that is preventing Youtube from finding your video links.
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
Thanks. Very Happy I'm kinda bad at the whole linking thing in forums, so I usually just ramble on in text. Kinda sad for a college student. =p
marklungo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wow, it's been a rough week around here. Perhaps writing this column will soothe my battered soul.

Oh, Zac. Your naivete is truly touching. Very Happy

Anyway: First, about favorite OPs. Several of my faves (Paranoia Agent, Gantz, Death Note #2, Full Metal Alchemist #4) have already been mentioned, so let me just add that Naruto has had three theme songs that I like a lot, the aforementioned "No Boy, No Cry" and these two:

#2: "Haruka Kanata" by Asian Kung Fu Generation
#4: "Fighting Dreamers" by FLOW

It may be off topic, but I also enjoy the seventh Naruto ending, "Mountain a Go Go Too" by Captain Stridum.

And for those who are willing to kick it old school, I recommend the classic Speed Racer/Mach Go! Go! Go! theme by a sadly unknown artist.

As for the Question of the Week: I grew up watching Kimba and the aforementioned Speed Racer in the late 60s and early 70s. What has kept me coming back to anime is its ability to use animation for adult, dramatic storytelling. In America, so far adult animation has consisted of either sitcoms or the 15-minute random humor Adult Swim series, and while I enjoy many of those shows, I'm hoping for an American equivalent to Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell. But that's another topic for another time...

P.S. Can someone please post a link to "Koko Made Oide"? I can't find it on You Tube.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
edit---God my computer hates me

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Fresh baked Niea_7 Opening right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbSXOrmOoQ
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
It might just be me but I think the OP listing in the thread is getting excessive. I know it was a question to Zac but seriously these constant lists of OP's are getting a bit excessive I think. Perhaps I'm just a cranky SOB.

I don't know, I think anything that isn't "industry vs. just about everything/anything else" talk is a welcome change.

But don't worry I am with you on the cranky part. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime stoped having theme songs as soon as the Anime OP and Ed became spotlights to whatever band was hot in the pop charts, top anime OPs with feelings and Burning Spirits are what populated Giant Robot shows in the 70's, those are the BOMB people

Some awesome examples:

Mazinger Z
Great Mazinger
Ufo Robo Grendizer
Magno Robo Gakeen
Daiku Maryu Gaiking
Kotetsu Jeeg
Getter Robo
Getter Robo G
Voltes V
Tosho Daimos

Why do you think people fill up JAM Project concerts?... Wink

As the anime that got me into fandom... Go Nagai Mazinger Z: The Original and the Best!!!!!!! Full blast action adventure, an all out orgy of destruction that western animation didn;t dare to emulate, kick ass music that pumped you up.. From there the rest is history Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
marklungo wrote:
It may be off topic, but I also enjoy the seventh Naruto ending, "Mountain a Go Go Too" by Captain Stridum.

If I were to make a favorite ED list, that one would definitely be up there for sure! Cool But since, as Psycho pointed out, it seems like we're getting too much into listing things here (and the fact that this is about OPs in the first place) we'll just leave it at that. Wink
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Fresh baked Niea_7 Opening right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbSXOrmOoQ

I really liked the ending to Niea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVzE9NXsf48

I watched the show for the first time staying up at odd hours of the night with a sick baby- somehow that song always calmed her down enough to go back to sleep, even if she'd wake right back up and start screaming again when it was over.
calawain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I've never seen anyone seriously argue that they are entitled to completely free anime that wasn't a pre-teen/teenager who just downloads Bleach and Naruto, or a troll. So I think this second group of yours is kind of in your head and doesn't really exist. I think there are people that don't think much of pirating in general, but to opine that they think they are somehow entitled is wrong in my opinion.

Plus, you are kind of ignorant as to the communities of people that watch subs/raws of shows as they air. You claim that they have no investment but that's incorrect, which I think is because you aren't involved in the community. It's hard to know how the community really is if your only exposure to it is trolls on this board. A good amount of them buy DVDs, both R1 and R2, but they also purchase things like figures, VNs, doujin, manga, etc. I know that people here enjoy predicting the apocalypse, but it's really unwarranted.
8JF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Other openings that I like and haven't been mentioned yet include:

Paranoia Agent, Dream Island Contemplation Park I liked this even more after I tracked down the lyrics. So cheery and morbid!

Gilgamesh A depressing, drab series with an unusually upbeat opening.

Mushishi, The Sore Feet Song I've always liked folk music and this opening is just so fitting to the anime.

Gankutsuou Jean-Jacques Burnel's We Were Lovers is paired so well here.

Texhnolyze, Guardian Angel This opening has possibly more talking than the entire first episode. The choice of song only made sense after I'd watched most of this series. Much like the series itself.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
To be honest I've never seen anyone seriously argue that they are entitled to completely free anime that wasn't a pre-teen/teenager who just downloads Bleach and Naruto, or a troll. So I think this second group of yours is kind of in your head and doesn't really exist. I think there are people that don't think much of pirating in general, but to opine that they think they are somehow entitled is wrong in my opinion.

I'm inclined to agree at least to some extent. I think there are people who think that way but they are definitely the vast minority of pro-fansubbers.

I think the reason for this confusion is that people against fansubs often feel that way because they think you are not entitled to something unless you pay for it. Therefore, when someone tells these people that they think fansubs are okay they ask: Why do you think you're entitled to it if you didn't pay for it? However, most pro-fansubers just don't view it as an issue of entitlement. They neither feel entitled to it, nor do they feel that you need to be entitled to something for it to be okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11