• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foljo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
God that thing is depressing. Anyone watched it? Any thoughts on it?
The Spatula

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think it was that depressing, but maybe it's just because I'm old and cynical. KGNE was a lot better that I thought it would be since it maintained a tight focus on a couple of characters who were well-developed.

One thought that popped in my mind about this was, "This is exactly like a soap opera, but I don't like watching soap operas. Is it simply the fact that it's animated that I can stand watching it?" Curious...

Oh well. I need to look for the next episode of Maria-sama ga Miteru...
Foljo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:
I didn't think it was that depressing, but maybe it's just because I'm old and cynical. KGNE was a lot better that I thought it would be since it maintained a tight focus on a couple of characters who were well-developed.

One thought that popped in my mind about this was, "This is exactly like a soap opera, but I don't like watching soap operas. Is it simply the fact that it's animated that I can stand watching it?" Curious...

Do you want to hear funny thing? I had the same thoughts, I am watching it just because it’s animated. I guess people start to forget that films are well developed media and take it for granted, stating that anime is superior. But yeah, still, good soup opera for anime, just because characters are developed and like in real life, good things just won’t happen to you if you don’t do it yourself. Important lesson, that many people forget about.
Foljo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:

Oh yeah, is it any good?
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I totally dug this show. I think because it was just one of those "slice-of-life" shows (like Kare Kano), it drew me in a lot faster than some of the more out there stuff. And the ending actually kind of surprised me, which is always good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Foljo]But yeah, still, good soup opera for anime[/quote]

Heh. "Soup opera."

"Waiter, there's... a fly in my soup!!!

"POR QUE, MARIA!!!"

I don't like soup operas too, and that includes Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. Also, I am no fan of the angular, swishy designs in the show and others that are inspired by similar Bishoujo video games.

Give me chubby Matsumoto noses and cheesy Go Nagai sideburns any day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien = Days of Our Softcore Lives.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well it WAS based on an ecchi dating sim, as I recall, so that's pretty close to true. I still enjoyed it. Didn't have me bawling the way Kanon did though. Anime cry
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah come on now, its not that bad of a soap opera. Sure softcore and all but its only 14 episodes. How long has days of our lives been on? I can't even remember.(well... I don't care anyway)

Soap Opera or not, I'll take a short and sweet one over the other loooong crap anyday. I can't stand the tv shows these days.
Charmed.... they all should have died the first season.
Friends.... do we really "need" anymore.
well... I was going to make a list but Confused , I really can't think of any others. Its probably because of lack from keeping up with all of em.
The Spatula

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Maria-sama ga Miteru shows a lot of promise from the first two episodes; however, I have to warn you that it is extremely shoujo and there are a lot of weird terms thrown around (for example, the members of the student council are called Rosa chinensis, Rosa foetida, and Rosa gigantea).

Although, I'm getting a bit OT, so remember, Google is your friend!
RockLEe1687

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:16 am Reply with quote
Woah talk about depressing. this anime was really good but it was hard to watch it.Due to how the story unfolds. How can narumi and Haruka be going out and somethin drastically ridiculos happens to turn the whole story around. The ending was kind of nice. At least narumi ends up with someone
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:33 am Reply with quote
I thought it was excellent, in fact, it was my favorite anime of 2003 (beating out Gunparade March and Scrapped Princess by miles). Yes soap operas aren't for everyone, and I personally never watched the crap you see on TV, but I grew up watching stuff like Fifteen on nickelodeon (haha you can stop laughing now), My So-called Life, and others.

Honestly, I wouldn't compare it to a soap opera. I mean, are soap operas normally about a single couple whose lives become a downward spiral towards crap? Because that's pretty much what Kiminozo is about when you get down to it.

BTW Zac, your analysis of the show as being a hentai dating sim without the hentai since it's the anime version, was just utterly ridiculous. Attaching a negative stigma/bias to a show because there was an H version of it is not only unfair to both the game and anime's story but also to all games in Japan who have powerful stories and only use H as a selling point. Many of these games only use their H versions as a jumping board to get popular among fans, as the fact that G-rated versions exist and are very popular as well proves that people buy these games for the stories and characters, not the ero.

Luckily, most people have ignored the "critics" and the "hentai stigma/bias", as if you check out animenfo, Kiminozo is in the top 5. :)
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:05 am Reply with quote
And as an addendum: the difference between Kiminozo and a soap opera... soap operas don't end (well ok, some Mexican telanovelas do, but that's not the point.)
Foljo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
Uhm, so it is so bad to see boobs bunch of times in anime? And if you do, it becomes hentai? Or do you guys talking about something different?

I kept watching because I felt sorry for that girl in coma. Ah, I remember reading about a guy who woke up after being near 15 years in coma. Oh Christ, I can’t even imagine how you can put your life on track after that. When times stops for you, but everything else movies on. Scary thing, I would probably shoot myself in the head.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quote
Scaramanga wrote:
And as an addendum: the difference between Kiminozo and a soap opera... soap operas don't end (well ok, some Mexican telanovelas do, but that's not the point.)
Japanese drama's (aka Soap Opera) also end to.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2