• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Works to be Streamed Simultaneously with Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
See my Anime News Network Talkback Forum post from last year, Anime Fanbase in Japan Shifts to YouTube and the Internet, dated August 30, 2007, on an article in the Japanese weekly business magazine Economist for, among other things, GDH (GONZO's parent company) President Shinchiro Ishikawa saying, "The anime business faces a transition period similar to the time when the music business shifted from CD sales to Internet delivery."

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
Oh my god.......I can't belive this. Fansubs will NEVER be "a thing of the past". It does not matter that we will have english subs on the same day....someone out there will still be unhappy and make his own fansub.

Also, the quality of the streaming will be nowhere near as some of the better fansubs out there. Even the pay-per-vierw thing will be at the most, the same quality as a fansub.

So fansubs will STILL be free, and some will STILL be higher quality. The streaming and pay-per-view will only serve as "speed-subbing"
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
Okay...maybe I'm just being thick here but how does this solve anything? How do they actually profit from this? I don't see any sort of mention of ad support or payment from those sites. Maybe they're just not explaining it here but if they don't actually have any way to make money off this it seems like a terrible idea to me. It's like a store with a shoplifting problem deciding to allow customers to shoplift as a solution. If they won't profit in any way from this then all they're going to do is encourage people to use free methods which, legal or not don't gain them a cent and then the already insufficient number of people that buy DVDs will further decrease. We might as well just stick with fansubs. At least them the companies aren't wasting money on this when fansubbers will do it for free.

Sorry if I'm being pessimistic here but I just don't see how this is any kind of solution.
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:29 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It's like a store with a shoplifting problem deciding to allow customers to shoplift as a solution.
When was shoplifting ever allowed? o_0

Don't tell me some of you guys built your whole philosophy regarding anime and piracy on the notion that anime isn't free. It isn't, but people will obviously be able to preview it legally free of charge, as it should be. Now that companies are encouraging innovative business models on their own, your little world of elitism is falling apart. QQ moar.

GDH surprised me in more ways than I could've imagined. I knew they were one of the front-runners in testing out alternative distribution methods, but I never knew their dependence on the R1 market would drive them this far so soon, not after those comments from Arthur Smith regarding fansubs. I'm glad they're finally making an effort to take control of their products back into their own hands.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, someone finally got a clue, I will totally support this, including the high def fee based download portion (if it's not too unreasonable) simple to help it be successful so more studio's take this same path. Pretty much everything I've (and many others) said they should do for the last couple years, glad that Gonzo is the first to take the leap into the 21st century.

<3 Gonzo, hope it works out well for them and gives others motivation to join the modern online society as well, and give us legal alternatives to fansubs. This could be the start of something great (crosses fingers).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saorren

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:
I've said this before in a previous posting and while I realize this is a English-speaking site, I'm slightly disappointed no one else is talking about the fact the studios haven't addressed the other two major languages which are target languages for fansubs -- Spanish and Chinese. From what I have seen online, Spanish is probably the next largest (to English) western language used in fansubs. I'd safely speculate Chinese may have the largest audience for fansubs. So what are the studios going to do for those two languages? Hebrew? German? Can we expect the studios to make subs for multiple languages with a turnaround of a day?

i imagine they start with english first cus North America is probably their biggest overseas market, along with the fact that english is one of the most widely-spoken/understood language.

so from the view of the "market shares," i assume the chinese... despite their population, isn't that big a market for licensed japanese anime DVDs (is there even a market, actually?? i'd like to know...), thanks to the strict govt. standards on importing (licensing?) foreign anime/manga (and probably their own market protectionism). i'm not sure about the other languages. anyway if there is little/no market possibility, i don't see why they'd bother.... just my pov.

Last edited by saorren on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
joshuafer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this will lower the price that R1 companies pay to distribute anime. If they are going to let you watch it for free, I imagine it would. Hmmmm I wonder what this means for the R1 companies. Personally, I have always preferred my anime english dubbed ( and no, I do not want this to turn in to a sub vs dub debate, thats just what I prefer. ), so I might just wait to buy it. Can always preview it in japanese, to see if I like it, though. I did that for tokyo majun, which I decided to buy. Watched the first episode, thought it looked like a pretty decent horror series.
melonbread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
WOAH!

I've actually got goosebumps!

If there was to be news of the decade, this would be it. Seriously. This has made me a very happy person.

I wonder if Gonzo contacted a fansub group to do the subtitles?

I think I'm going to do the pay to download high-res version, youtube quality isn't good enough.

It's about time! I'm lost for words other than this, just well done Gonzo!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote
BOST TV does their own subtitles according to them.

I wonder how much a season pass will cost, what will I get with it and how many weeks will it be good for.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Yes, someone is finally stepping up! This is what the industry has been needing.

Now the subbing just has to be up to par and all will be good. To all anime fans, you need to support something like this so that the industry takes note and we start getting our anime when we want it...NOW!!!

I must admit I download anime, mainly because I read about new anime but it doesn't show up in the states until a year or more later. I do end up buying the shows I like.

I shall sacrifice a chicken to the gods tonight in hopes of good luck. I just can't decided if the chicken will be original recipe or extra crispy!! Laughing
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is the beginning of a new era. *cliche statement* But really, this is what I've been waiting for to happen in the anime industry for the longest time. I can actually watch these legally now, while they air in Japan.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It's like a store with a shoplifting problem deciding to allow customers to shoplift as a solution

Wrong analogy, mainly due to your looking at this from a negative perspective. Its like a store giving away a lot of free product (you know, those old ladies that are cooking something in Sam's for people to eat, or the store is giving away other items in a raffle) in the hopes that you'll buy stuff. Happens all the time in business. Why do you think doctor's offices are loaded with so many free drugs as "samples?"

Besides, word from Japan is that anime on TV there is just about solely paid for by the Japanese production company and some investors. Translated, that means that they basically consider airing an anime series to be a commercial for the outrageously-priced DVD's and other collectibles for said series. If that's true, then posting this online is just more "advertising" to entice the U.S. markets, only now the production company is in control.

The success of this will ultimately ride on video quality (which won't be that good) and more importantly, translation quality.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
As long as the downloadable versions are decent quality and unencumbered (read; 1280x720 or greater at a good bitrate, and DRM free) this is definitely a step in the right direction.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
It's a stream. DRM on your computer doesn't apply much imo. The video quality on commercial streaming sites like Hulu are pretty good imo.

BOST TV had a good stream the last time I looked as well as the GONZO DOGA site.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
I honestly wonder if there's place for American licensing companies after this, apart from some production involvement (dubs, if at all).

fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I'm definitely interested in how this will turn out, but I'm not sure if I can be happy if this could also mean the demise of R1 licensors and dub studios.

I can't speak for everyone else, but *I* will still want to own my favorite shows on shiny discs. I enjoy my anime on my couch, in my living room and on my TV.* I don't own a hi-def setup or have any means to stream/play videos to my living room. Yeah. Me and my stone-aged living. But it's worked well for me and I like it. Wink

As bad as the industry may be doing now, I believe there's still a market out there for folks like myself.

Anyway, I applaud GDH's first steps and hope that many other studios will follow (i.e. I.G.). Even though my viewing habits will remain the same, I'd look forward to legally previewing an episode or two of something that may or may not be on my shelf in year or two.

Emerje wrote:
While this is incredibly amazing I have to wonder, what does this accomplish? Doing the fansubers job for them doesn't actually solve anything it's just another form of free anime in English. It'll be nice to be able to bypass the third party, but I wouldn't go so far as to say this is the answer to fansubs that others here say it is. Unless they intend to add advertising this is just solving one problem with another.

No matter where anyone stands on the subject of fansubs, I would like to think that we can all agree that there really isn't anything that can be done to stop them. You can never beat FREE. No one can. Not even with streaming, simultaneous-released FREE.

That doesn't mean that companies like GDH shouldn't do anything, even if it seems like they're trying to empty the ocean out with a bucket. The Japanese producers can't stand in neutral any longer, while this is all happening around them. If their content is going to be thrown out on the INTERNETS for the taking, then I think that those companies would want to have some degree of control on how that content is viewed. Or, in this case, attempt to provide legal second option for English-reading, internet-savvy fans.

*English or Japanese, I like both ways
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9