• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Regarding Dark Horse's Mangas Berserk,Trigun,Hellsing etc..

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demonblade508

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I've got a couple of questions about mangas Dark Horse is releasing. I've been watching anime for years, but am pretty new to manga, so someone help me out if they would

Question 1) With the Graphics Novels/Mangas Dark Horse is releasing (MIGHTY SLOW if I may add) Take Trigun for example. I have Volumes 1 & 2 that came out thus far, and they are huge! Were these released as the same size in Japan, or are these multiple volumes put together in one book? And how many volumes of Trigun are there?

1b) And what exactly is Trigun Maximum? I hear people don't like it as much as Trigun, can someone please explain the differences between the two? Thanks

2) With Berserk (easily my favorite Manga by far) coming out at a snail pace right now, I think they are just testing it out to see how they sell, but from what I hear copies are selling out left and right, a good sign. I know Berserk is up to around Volume 25 right now, and only *sigh* up to 2 is out over here. Basically it's the same question as the first. There are 25 volumes this size they are releasing? That's hot if so. Guess thats the only questions I have right now... Thanks
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
All I know is Trigun Maximum is not a sequel, but only a continuation of the Trigun manga under a different name because of copyright issues.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:59 am Reply with quote
This is a better question for littlegreenwolf, but I'll take a crack at it:

Most manga are 'serialized' in magazines, and generally released on a weekly basis. I think they occassionally release whole chunks of a single manga after so much of it has already been printed in the mags. I really don't know how that would compare to a US graphic Novel, though Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:15 am Reply with quote
But according to the ANN archive...

The mag that serialized Trigun was cancelled. A different mag picked it up, and thus the reason for the copyright issues.
Stormrider
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:04 am Reply with quote
demonblade508 wrote:
Question 1) With the Graphics Novels/Mangas Dark Horse is releasing (MIGHTY SLOW if I may add) Take Trigun for example. I have Volumes 1 & 2 that came out thus far, and they are huge! Were these released as the same size in Japan, or are these multiple volumes put together in one book?

I've been wondering about the GN size of Trigun as well. Hell, do they even release a GN format in Japan?
SharinganKakashi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:06 am Reply with quote
Stormrider wrote:
I've been wondering about the GN size of Trigun as well. Hell, do they even release a GN format in Japan?

Yes, do to Anime Nation under Import Novels. I think they have Trigun there
Rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:33 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure about Trigun, since I've never bought the Japanese volumes, but I don't remember them being quite that big when I've glanced at them in Kinokuniya. As for Berserk, I do know that what we're seeing over here is identical to the Japanese volumes, just on slightly thicker paper (thus the english volumes DO take up more space). Volume 26 was just released, so expect at least that many english volumes to fill up your bookshelves.

On a side note, why is everyone so upset about Berserk's slower release pace? There's no way to know when this series will end, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still going a few years from now when the english does catch up. Truthfully I'd prefer a slower pace now, versus the other option of hitting the end sooner and having to wait eight months between releases.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
This is a better question for littlegreenwolf, but I'll take a crack at it:

Wow, I'm really flattered you have such a high opinion of me. Anime hyper; Though, I'm not much of a help in this thread since the only thing I've read out of the manga in question is the first Trigun volume, and Hellsing scanlated.

I can say though that Trigun Maximum IS NOT that thick. Dunno about the first couple volumes though. >.> Need a die hard fan in here to answer that.

Question: What's GN? ?_? Is that graphic novel? *is stupid*

Also, if you're whinning about how long it's taking to get them out here, get in line behind the X/1999 fans. Viz has had the rights to the manga since 1996 *or 1994, I forget which*, and they just NOW have gotten to releasing vol. 13.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the english copies of Trigun the first volume is 353 pages and the second is 344. Which makes it one of the biggest mangas on my bookshelf by about 100 pages.
Gekigangar3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
The first two volumes of the Trigun manga released by Dark Horse were made up of a couple of the japanese volumes for each one, which explains the huge page count. I think they did it so they could publish the manga from the first magazine quickly, and then start Trigun Maximum. I'm not sure but I think Trigun Maximum is still running in Japan. I am so glad that the manga is finally over here, in my oppinion it is much better than the anime series.
Cerberus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Gekigangar3 wrote:
The first two volumes of the Trigun manga released by Dark Horse were made up of a couple of the japanese volumes for each one, which explains the huge page count. I think they did it so they could publish the manga from the first magazine quickly, and then start Trigun Maximum. I'm not sure but I think Trigun Maximum is still running in Japan. I am so glad that the manga is finally over here, in my oppinion it is much better than the anime series.

Aha, so that would explain the huge page count for Trigun. I didn't think that the GNs would be that big unless there was a reason. This is also good because you get more bang for your buck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I also saw the japanese Trigun in a Kinokyonoa....ok, that is too hard for me to spell, but they were the same size and cover for Volume 1. I beleive they are the same size.
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quote
I believe that the first two volumes released over here are the 'Trigun' volumes and then 'Trigun Maximum' starts after that. I don't know if the page count will change though.

Is Trigun still being published in Japan? I know that Hellsing is. And I might as well ask if Berserk is as well.

Edit:
Here's some new info I've come across.
Orginally there where 3 volumes of Trigun, these 3 where then rereleased as 2 thicker volumes with new cover art (same covers that appear on the English release).

Trigun originally appeared in Shounen Captain magazine, and switched to Young King Ours when Shounen Captain ceased publication. In Young King Ours it gets the title Trigun Maximum.

There appear to be 7 volumes of Trigun Maximum in Japan at the moment. I don't know if it's still going
rage-demon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Question: What's GN? ?_? Is that graphic novel?

Well since no one else answered i will. Yep, GN is graphic novel Anime smile
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quote
thats how thick the trigun maximum volumes are

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f5515843
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g12570553

They don't seem much larger then regular manga.

You may have to copy the url and then past it again if the auction homepage pops up in stead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2