• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Film Wraps Shooting in Mexico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:

Did the Kung Fu like martial arts, temple, character name, kanji symbol on the characters cloth not Asian look for you?
Start trek is american because it is using American peoples as the actors. The same with Dragon Ball live movie that not just using Asian characters but also name, settings. etc.

I'm sorry Keonyn, I could not resist. Please scourge me later heh. I simply couldn't asking where George Takei fits into the Star Trek is using Americans part. I thought for sure he was Asian....I must need new glasses. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop I'll shut up now.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
Asian American? what do you mean by that? did you mean she is half Asian and half American or she just change nationality as American when she is full Asian?

All Asian. All American. There is no half.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_American

Quote:
Not just Chi Chi but other human characters in Dragon Ball also Asian looking. Will it not be odd to see an American person acting as Goku when on his cloth there are writen a Kanji symbol?

No more so than the same character from another planet transforming with blond hair and green eyes. Wink If you're looking to make Dragonball demographically representative, you're late by about two decades.

Quote:
So which characters Yamcha going to be?

Yamcha. Unless you mean which actor:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2684445/
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:
Asian American? what do you mean by that? did you mean she is half Asian and half American or she just change nationality as American when she is full Asian?

Asian means someone who have 100% Asian blood + Live in Asian homeland known as Asia + Proud to be Asian. If she just an Asian with 100% blood but no live in Asia then she is not called as Asian anymore. When you said Asian American as someone who are all Asian and all Ameircan are super ridiculous to me and I think that is considered as a racial act of trying to mix the deference of race of human species since Asian are not Ameircan or American are not Asian.

Quote:
Quote:
Not just Chi Chi but other human characters in Dragon Ball also Asian looking. Will it not be odd to see an American person acting as Goku when on his cloth there are writen a Kanji symbol?

No more so than the same character from another planet transforming with blond hair and green eyes. Wink If you're looking to make Dragonball demographically representative, you're late by about two decades.

Are you blind of clour for saying Gold colour that are light/strong yellow as blond colour that are pale/weak yellow?
Are you just seeing someone an Asian or American just from their hair and eyes not from their facial form such as face, body build, etc?

Anime characters are based on Asian peoples and that is why you see Asian cosplayers looks better or mached the Anime characters they are cosplaying even whatever colour the Anime characters hair or eyes have.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
Even if it's not considered very good by many people, it still did very well in theaters, so it seems like a success to me. Not sure about its dvd sales.

I'm not just talking about sales though but the relative level of artistic butchery. Transformers the movie did have one big flaw, which was that in hopes of attracting audiences it drew a lot of attention away from the transformers and towards a human cast.

Exactly!! it wasn't about the Transformers, it was all about Shia "I'm obviously the most idiotic hack actor in Hollywood today, but they keep casting me" Lebeuf. Get a few token Human actors, throw them betwee the Autobots and Decepticons. Boom, instant Transformers movie without the Hollywood faggotry. I'm sure Bay can fit enough explosions and shit to his hearts content in that film treatment.

Oh and please, show me ANY existing Action Figure of Mountain Dew Transformer. Anyone shows me an Action Figure of that Transformer, before the movie's release date, then i'll instantaneously shut up about how idiotic the movie was.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:

Asian means someone who have 100% Asian blood + Live in Asian homeland known as Asia + Proud to be Asian. If she just an Asian with 100% blood but no live in Asia then she is not called as Asian anymore. When you said Asian American as someone who are all Asian and all Ameircan are super ridiculous to me and I think that is considered as a racial act of trying to mix the deference of race of human species since Asian are not Ameircan or American are not Asian.

You have the prerogative of believing "Asian" is defined as "100% Asian blood + Live in Asian homeland known as Asia + Proud to be Asian." You have the prerogative of believing that an Asian American is neither Asian nor American. But since both of these "you're-either-with-us-or-against-us" definitions are not accepted by anyone else in this thread, you also have the prerogative of looking elsewhere to find people who agree with you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you blind of clour for saying Gold colour that are light/strong yellow as blond colour that are pale/weak yellow?
Are you just seeing someone an Asian or American just from their hair and eyes not from their facial form such as face, body build, etc?

I see an alien character. That's what he is. Smile

Quote:
Anime characters are based on Asian peoples and that is why you see Asian cosplayers looks better or mached the Anime characters they are cosplaying even whatever colour the Anime characters hair or eyes have.

What I see is one generalization begetting another.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
It doesn't matter who is acting in this movie as long as the actors are competent. I'd rather have a competent American actor in this movie than an incompetent Asian actor.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Did they say something if they will get the same VAs for the none-English-countries that did the series and movies, too?

Anyhow, I know what movie I will shove my friends into, even if it sucks. This is definitely a must-see Smile
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:

You have the prerogative of believing "Asian" is defined as "100% Asian blood [b]+ Live in Asian homeland known as Asia + Proud to be Asian." You have the prerogative of believing that an Asian American is neither Asian nor American[/b]. But since both of these "you're-either-with-us-or-against-us" definitions are not accepted by anyone else in this thread, you also have the prerogative of looking elsewhere to find people who agree with you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see an alien character. That's what he is. Smile

So what American mean to you? someone who just have American nationality even they come from other race or country?

About Dragon Ball character that are in human form, so you see Goku, Bezita and other human characters as alien and not human, on other words when a real human actor playing as alien who have the form of human you will call that actor as alien and not human then?

Quote:
Anime characters are based on Asian peoples and that is why you see Asian cosplayers looks better or mached the Anime characters they are cosplaying even whatever colour the Anime characters hair or eyes have.[/quote]

What I see is one generalization begetting another.[/quote]
This is based on fact and not generalizing, something based on fact staying as fact even whatever you call them.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So what American mean to you? someone who just have American nationality even they come from other race or country?

Well if you want to get technical about it the only people who originally weren't from another country that live in the United States are Native Americans. And for example in my case I'm Irish, Greek (Spartan), German, Alsatian, Italian, and Polish. Are you saying all Americans are the same nationality?

Quote:

What about characters who are not natively Japanese that appear in anime like K in Gravitation?
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Hm, I always felt Cosplaying wasn't about looking exactly like the character. I can't even name one cosplayer (And I have seen a lot of them, though very probably less than most people here) that looked like the character he cosplayed, I never "bought" it - but I don't think it's about that. It's about the passion you have for that character, and your own will to show other people how much you like him/her(?). That's what cosplaying is about, not looking like someone. Seriously, it's hard to look drawn, isn't it?
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Also if you consider people who are Asian-American to not be Asian what about Utada Hikaru? She was born in New York and is a very popular j-pop singer in Japan. As long as the actors give a good performance and the movie stays pretty close to the source material it probably won't be all that bad. At least I hope it's better than this.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
As long as the actors give a good performance and the movie stays pretty close to the source material it probably won't be all that bad. At least I hope it's better than this.

Blasphemy! It had Asian actors in it! But I personally disagree with Asian Guy, cosplaying is an art only Japanese people can practice, merely being Asian doesn't cut it.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:

Okay. But then how about the characters who aren't asian looking? Like, lets say, Android 18 or Lunch? They have blonde hair and look white to me. Would it be weird too, if those characters were done by a non Caucasion person?

Asian Guy wrote:
Asian means someone who have 100% Asian blood + Live in Asian homeland known as Asia + Proud to be Asian. If she just an Asian with 100% blood but no live in Asia then she is not called as Asian anymore.

This is insane. If you are 100% blood asian but don't live in Asia you aren't asian anymore? Baloney. You can be asian but it doesn't mean that you have to live in your homeland or be proud.

Just to tell you. I'm Cambodian in ethnicity. My native country is Cambodia which is one of the Asian countries. But I live in America. The United States of America. So I would be a citizen of the USA. My nationality is Asian and I am an American citizen. I am an Asian-American. Do you get this any better now?

Cetus-kun wrote:
Also if you consider people who are Asian-American to not be Asian what about Utada Hikaru? She was born in New York and is a very popular j-pop singer in Japan.

A legend of J-Pop. Utada Hikaru? She was born in the state of New York of North America. Her career became big when she went to Japan. She is very much Asian in nationality and Japanese in ethnicity.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
Vuwazy wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:

Okay. But then how about the characters who aren't asian looking? Like, lets say, Android 18 or Lunch? They have blonde hair and look white to me. Would it be weird too, if those characters were done by a non Caucasion person?

I have said don't look a picture just from the bottom, don't look an Anime characters just from their hair and eyes.

Asian Guy wrote:
wrote:
Asian means someone who have 100% Asian blood + Live in Asian homeland known as Asia + Proud to be Asian. If she just an Asian with 100% blood but no live in Asia then she is not called as Asian anymore.

This is insane. If you are 100% blood asian but don't live in Asia you aren't asian anymore? Baloney. You can be asian but it doesn't mean that you have to live in your homeland or be proud.

Just to tell you. I'm Cambodian in ethnicity. My native country is Cambodia which is one of the Asian countries. But I live in America. The United States of America. So I would be a citizen of the USA. My nationality is Asian and I am an American citizen. I am an Asian-American. Do you get this any better now?

Oh so an Asian means someene who have to get a visa in order to live in Asia and someone who are not proud to be Asian? How super ridiculous, and what traitor will do.
I think you just claim to be Asian because you hope to get the good name of Asian peoples while you have betraying your homeland by going to other land and become part of that land by changing your nationality aknowledge by that land.
Someone who does not have patriotism or nationalism will never understand what I said such as someone who still claim he/she is part of something while he/she have abandon it and choose to go to be part of something else.

Cetus-kun wrote:
Also if you consider people who are Asian-American to not be Asian what about Utada Hikaru? She was born in New York and is a very popular j-pop singer in Japan.

A legend of J-Pop. Utada Hikaru? She was born in the state of New York of North America. Her career became big when she went to Japan. She is very much Asian in nationality and Japanese in ethnicity.[/quote]
If Utada Hikaru have 100 Japanese blood + Have Japanese nationality + Proud to be Japanese then Hutada Hikaru is a Japanese or also mean an Asian.

So where is testorschoice hiding now? he/she is saying Asian Ameican are someone who all Asian and all American. I wonder if he/she is hiding because he/she can not answer my question.

About the cosplaying stuff, I will be fair on this so I will also say American will looks better cosplaying in Superman, Batman, Kim Possible or any other show they mada that ofcourse based on themselves. So it is not about Asian are the best cosplayer but it is about who you are cosplaying to be.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Alright Asian Guy, I think you've gone just about far enough. You are not an authority to tell people what their ethnicity is or is not based on your insanely puritan views that.

You're bordering on racism here, and that is simply not going to be tolerated. You're also dragging this completely off topic at this point. These threads are in response to articles, they are not your personal soap box. Trying to provoke a user is also not going to be tolerated either, it might just be that testorschoice isn't responding to you because your insane bias and slanted viewpoints make discussing the matter with you pointless. If they don't want to respond, then they won't, trying to provoke them at this point is trolling, plain and simple.

I would really rather not lock this and give this thread back to the people who actually want to maybe discuss the article itself again. If this proceeds any further though then it's going to get locked, and frankly Asian Guy, further action may well be taken as well as you've already been warned before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7