• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva Movie Remake Gets Theatrical Remake of Its Own

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Point: Almost EVERY DVD release of an anime for the last few years has been 'remastered' somewhat, with extra keyframes added and QUALITY cells redrawn. This is the norm. It is nothing unusual. The only exceptional thing here is that this DVD version is getting a limited theatrical release.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Lackshmana wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Labbes wrote:
PS: There is one huge difference between Star Wars and Eva - it's impossible to get the original Star Wars on DVD.

Actually, you'd be wrong there. The individual DVD releases of episodes 4-6 include a bonus disk with the original theatrical version of each film. The only reason I'm buying them is for those bonus disks; I don't give a damn about Lucas's post-menopausal rehashes.

I think you might be wrong there.
I am pretty sure those are the LASER DISC versions, as George Lucas claims that the original theatrical versions no longer exist. Maybe I misheard but yeah, I don't believe there is anyway to get the original theatrical versions anymore.

No, Top Gun is right. Best Buy page of the first oneThe original movies, before even the special edition VHS thingy in the 90s can be gotten on DVD. Only as a set with the new version, but they're avaiable nonetheless.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
As long as all this goodness comes in a good enough package on a blu-ray disc I'll be happy...
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
Lackshmana wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Labbes wrote:
PS: There is one huge difference between Star Wars and Eva - it's impossible to get the original Star Wars on DVD.

Actually, you'd be wrong there. The individual DVD releases of episodes 4-6 include a bonus disk with the original theatrical version of each film. The only reason I'm buying them is for those bonus disks; I don't give a damn about Lucas's post-menopausal rehashes.

I think you might be wrong there.
I am pretty sure those are the LASER DISC versions, as George Lucas claims that the original theatrical versions no longer exist. Maybe I misheard but yeah, I don't believe there is anyway to get the original theatrical versions anymore.

No, Top Gun is right. Best Buy page of the first oneThe original movies, before even the special edition VHS thingy in the 90s can be gotten on DVD. Only as a set with the new version, but they're avaiable nonetheless.

No. The "original" theatrical versions you get with those are in fact the laser disc copies. They have remixed sound, lower resolution, and several other differences.

You can find that info all over the net, but here ya go anyway,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_IV:_A_New_Hope#DVD_release

But as Top Gun said, its not really on topic. So back to the rehashed re-release remake jokes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Point: Almost EVERY DVD release of an anime for the last few years has been 'remastered' somewhat, with extra keyframes added and QUALITY cells redrawn. This is the norm. It is nothing unusual. The only exceptional thing here is that this DVD version is getting a limited theatrical release.

You're right. There is nothing wrong with it. I don't know why people are bitching and moaning about the new improvement. We should be at least grateful for these people's dedication. While the industry is suffering due to tight budget, high workload, and shorter production schedule, we're still complaining. Maybe we should ask animators not to make any improvements, so that we could watch headless Naruto's and disfigured anime girls.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
For people who don't know how much 266 shots are worth, it's about 20 to 25 minutes of footage. In animation, that's ton of drawings and effects. In my opinion, it shouldn't be called "1.01", it should be called "1.25" instead.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
MOOOOOOO~
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
edzieba wrote:

You're right. There is nothing wrong with it. I don't know why people are bitching and moaning about the new improvement. We should be at least grateful for these people's dedication. While the industry is suffering due to tight budget, high workload, and shorter production schedule, we're still complaining. Maybe we should ask animators not to make any improvements, so that we could watch headless Naruto's and disfigured anime girls.

BUT WAIT!!!!

We can't congratulate Anno on putting extra work into his film, nor the animators who have redone keys for this DVD release.

We certainly don't want to see it again in theatres, those sick, money-grubbing bastards!

We don't care to even acknowledge the fact that this so called "remake of a remake" isn't going to make Anno any extra money, as it's the only version of the film released on DVD.

You know why?

It's Eva.

Yeah, that sick, twisted, mind-screw of a show that everyone hates (ignore its fans. They're all wrong and deluded. ALL of them like it because they're too stupid to realize they're being duped.). And Anno, the money-grubber who once told a fan to stop buying Eva merchandise and focus on school work, is the worst of all, because he is clearly the absolute cause of all things I dislike in anime.

I wish a few of you, at least, would apply common sense when you begin to rant.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
Everyday I am reminded more and more as to just why I hate Gainax as much as I do.

What baffles me even more is that people continue to support this. Eva wasn't even that good to begin with. Escaflowne was the superior deep and psychological mecha series of the era.

So why do you hate Gainax when they are not even animating this? You hate is so misplaced.

The reason why Eva continues do well is because more people like it more. Things sell as long as people will pay for it.

For example, sports players gets thousands or millions of $ because everyone pays for merchandising, ad revenue, etc.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:

BUT WAIT!!!!

We can't congratulate Anno on putting extra work into his film, nor the animators who have redone keys for this DVD release.

We certainly don't want to see it again in theatres, those sick, money-grubbing bastards!

Excuse me? Since when Japanese animation became a charity to you? Sick Money grubbing bastards? No, they're doing their business for sake of fans. You're distorting the reality of animation business in Japan with your righteous assumption. Do you think they're raking billions on this film? Heck NO. So far no animator ever bought himself a brand new car.

Quote:
You know why?

It's Eva.

Yeah, that sick, twisted, mind-screw of a show that everyone hates (ignore its fans. They're all wrong and deluded. ALL of them like it because they're too stupid to realize they're being duped.). And Anno, the money-grubber who once told a fan to stop buying Eva merchandise and focus on school work, is the worst of all, because he is clearly the absolute cause of all things I dislike in anime.

Your dislike of Evangelion, its director, and its fans is just your personal opinion. I understand that not everyone is Evangelion fan. However, you're labeling Anno as money grubber is complete baseless accusation. You don't even know the man personally. You're not his friend or family. None of us are either. You never even worked in Japanese animation industry. So what if the director decides to remake his old film? Most animation directors don't get second chance for their films.

I don't know your taste in anime. So I cannot say that your taste is worse than other people. Do you know what is the true beauty of Japanese animation? It's the creative freedom with efficiency. Creative freedom brings diversity of ideas. Efficiency allows those ideas to spring much as possible without costing arms and legs. Some of those ideas happens to be very personal; some of them broad; some ideas are good; some ideas are bad. It's not one size fits all. Evangelion happens to be one of the diverse side of Japanese animation. Just as Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon represents the other side. I'm guessing that some fans' incessant and annoying elitism turned you off. Anyway you can't make personal attack on someone just because you dislike the film and its fans. If that is the case, every successful film makers are money grubbing bastards with their remakes. George Lucas with his Star Wars and Peter Jackson with Lord of the Rings. Would you say the same thing those people as well?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
I don't want to put interpret what other people have said, but I'm pretty sure Xenofan's post is sarcastic...But hey, it's tough to tell over ther internet sometimes.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
I don't want to put interpret what other people have said, but I'm pretty sure Xenofan's post is sarcastic...But hey, it's tough to tell over ther internet sometimes.

Thank you. I'd hoped that the context was so blatant that people would take it as it was intended, that I sounded so stupid and hypocritical that I couldn't be taken seriously. I happened to forget that on the internet, there are people stupid enough to say what I said up there and actually mean it. The real question is, if reanimator thought I was as stupid as I made myself out to be, why'd he even bother responding?

I happen to be very obstinate in my defenses of Evangelion, thank you very much!

(But I should definitely abandon my attempts at sarcasm...before anyone else gets confused.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
I revive this 11-months old thread because my prediction has turned reality: Blu-ray edition, version number 1.11

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4