• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Frontier.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Lucan wrote:
spoiler[oh... and did you guys see the image inside that huge dude's ring? I think its Minmei?]

It was, and that wasn't the only neat little bonus scattered throughout this episode if you looked closely. The flashback towards the end showing spoiler[a picture of Ranka with her brother and mother had what I'll bet was supposed to be an older version of Mao Nome from Macross Zero in the background.]

I believe this also may be the only episode of any Macross title which actually has spoiler[defined nudity in it, albeit briefly.]

Visually, a very impressive episode. Storytelling-wise? Well. . . it had enough else going for it elsewhere (the intensity level, all the great music, and some unexpected revelations, among others) to balance out some issues there. All-in-all, it's probably the most "Macross" episode ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Lucan wrote:
spoiler[oh... and did you guys see the image inside that huge dude's ring? I think its Minmei?]

It was, and that wasn't the only neat little bonus scattered throughout this episode if you looked closely. The flashback towards the end showing spoiler[a picture of Ranka with her brother and mother had what I'll bet was supposed to be an older version of Mao Nome from Macross Zero in the background.]

Yeah a lot of little images and also stuff thrown into the music. At one point in between one of the song mixes Sheryl broke out into a verse that started: spoiler["Watashi no kare...]" my dog started barking at this point but I'm willing to bet I know how the verse ends.

Quote:
Visually, a very impressive episode. Storytelling-wise? Well. . . it had enough else going for it elsewhere (the intensity level, all the great music, and some unexpected revelations, among others) to balance out some issues there.

Or more like, helped sidestep a couple of issues (I wasn't really rooting in the spoiler[love triangle one way or the other, I just didn't want Alto to drag Ranka's character down in any way] so that part didn't bother at least). But yeah, the action the music, the visuals (almost like a long music video), villains and friends revealed, as well as other unexpected revelations; it was well enough where the ending doesn't really drag down what was a great series.

I'd like to say I'm looking forward to the movie but this show didn't have a storyline simplistic enough where I can see it condensed without a ridiculous amount of butchering to re-tell in movie form. Maybe a trilogy, but not a single movie. How about a sequel? I'd be all for that.
gibbage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
Wow. Best series ever in my book. Wow. Thats all I can say.

Its honestly to bad they didn't spoiler[end the love triangle] and it suffers BADLY from the Japanese anime writers motto of "let the audience make there own ending". GOD I hate that. I want to know how the writer wanted it to end!
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
Just... phenomenal!

It was a great ending episode! Sure I would have much preferred that the spoiler[triangle ended], that they showed what they are going to do spoiler[with Mishima] (I think it would have been great to see the interrogation!), that they went into more depth spoiler[about the Vajra], but all in all, I thought that the episode was a great closing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
gibbage wrote:
Wow. Best series ever in my book. Wow. Thats all I can say.

Its honestly to bad they didn't spoiler[end the love triangle] and it suffers BADLY from the Japanese anime writers motto of "let the audience make there own ending". GOD I hate that. I want to know how the writer wanted it to end!

It's more like "let the audience write their own ending in doujinshi and then we'll make the real ending in the movie so we can make more money off this franchise." I hate it, too.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
It's more like "let the audience write their own ending in doujinshi and then we'll make the real ending in the movie so we can make more money off this franchise." I hate it, too.

I can't see them using the movie to give it that kind of an ending, though, as that would force the writers to actually make a choice. Most anime series that set up equitable love triangles don't do that within the series content. (Kashimashi is a rare exception.) Given how quickly the movie is coming out, and how decisively episode 25 resolves every other aspect of the story, I'll be very surprised if next year's movie is anything other than some kind of compilation or a condensed retelling of the main story, a la Macross: Do You Remember Love?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Ranka's last scene with Sheryl shows she knows that Sheryl is in the lead, the look on her face and also you won't see "winning" characters saying a line like that. You won't see Shana or Louise saying that to Yoshida or Siesta in Shana and ZnT.

Like I said on AOD I hope the movie here is to the triangle what the first KOR movie was to its triangle.

Key wrote:
I can't see them using the movie to give it that kind of an ending, though, as that would force the writers to actually make a choice. Most anime series that set up equitable love triangles don't do that within the series content. (Kashimashi is a rare exception.) Given how quickly the movie is coming out, and how decisively episode 25 resolves every other aspect of the story, I'll be very surprised if next year's movie is anything other than some kind of compilation or a condensed retelling of the main story, a la Macross: Do You Remember Love?

The movie hasn't been dated yet, it's just been announced that it's in the works. They could have already been working on this movie for a couple months, if people remember that Satelight stopped work on Hellsing Ultimate (which is now being handled by Madhouse) a few months back, I guess we now know where those resources have been shifted to ;)

Also every other Kawamori triangle has a choice made, why not this one? Not wanting to anger fanbases doesn't make any sense at all... while Sheryl and Ranka are just about equally popular as individual characters in Japan. The actual AruSherri pairing is vastly more popular than AruRan as far as pairings go. You only have to look at the official BBS, 2ch and the fanart (so lopsided here...) to see that. Also Minmei was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more popular than Misa Hayase in Japan.

So really I don't Kawamori playing it safe because of the fans, more like playing it safe so everyone watches the movie.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
Ikari1 wrote:

spoiler[
I thought he would put up more a fight to brera than he did. The phrase 'Owned' comes to mind to be honest. ]

spoiler[We heard him muttering that the VF-171EX was just a makeshift substitute for the Messiah, so I wasn't surprised at all when Brera owned him. If and when Alto gets his VF-25 back, I imagine the odds will be a lot more even.]

spoiler[Brera is partially bionic with superhuman speed, strength, and reflexes. Alto never had much of a chance to begin with. Granted there's always the chance of a lucky shot, but that's pretty much a moot point now.]

I give Frontier a big thumbs up. All the references and homages to past projects were quite amusing and entertaining. I was afraid that the final episode might end way too much like Zero, which frankly infuriated me, but I think they struck a good balance with Frontier.

As far as the love triangle, I always thought of spoiler[Sheryl as Misa and Ranka as Minmei]. Of course I wasn't about to speculate what direction Kawamori was going to go with that, but I'm fine with leaving the series the way it is. I just hope the movie isn't a recap or retelling, but what else could they possibly do... spoiler[The Vajra war is over, or at least we can assume that since Frontier landed on the planet and they aren't being swarmed. Leon is under arrest. Who is there left to fight without starting something completely new?]

What I really want to know is, spoiler[what will happen with Klan and how she comes to terms with the Vajra. Out of all of the major supporting characters she's lost the most directly to the Vajra, and Ranka was at least partially responsible. If I was Klan I'd be a mushroom cloud laying mo'fo' with all that tempermental Meltran blood and would at least look to break someone's rib or two. At least a little blood for blood. Honor demands it!!! Mad ]
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

Also every other Kawamori triangle has a choice made, why not this one? Not wanting to anger fanbases doesn't make any sense at all... while Sheryl and Ranka are just about equally popular as individual characters in Japan. The actual AruSherri pairing is vastly more popular than AruRan as far as pairings go. You only have to look at the official BBS, 2ch and the fanart (so lopsided here...) to see that. Also Minmei was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more popular than Misa Hayase in Japan.

So really I don't Kawamori playing it safe because of the fans, more like playing it safe so everyone watches the movie.

You're probably right. It was most likely due more to leaving things open for a movie than not wanting to upset fans. I would hope the fans would be happy with Ranka having a happy ending, even if it's not with Alto. Hell, Alto spoiler[had sworn just one episode ago to kill her if that's what it took to protect the colony].

Still, I think it was a horrible decision, most likely fueled by executive meddling. Episode 24 had stretched the tension bubble to bursting point, and then 25 just deflated it instead of allowing the earth-shattering kaboom to knock our socks off. I feel like the whole series was preparing to do something truly amazing, but settled for being very good.

Like I said, I smell executive meddling in this whole mess. I don't think Kawamori was afraid to end the triangle, as everything up to that point was leading that way. Rather, I think a producer over him was afraid of how Ranka's fanbase would react to hspoiler[er not getting her man] and forbade Kawamori from resolving it in the interest of further (potential but in no way confirmed) installments of the series.

Gripes about the ending aside, this is still my favorite anime of the year. I've enjoyed the ride every step of the way, and even if the LT's resolution sucked, getting to see spoiler[one kilometer-long robot falcon punch another kilometer-long robot was worth the wait!]

I would still recommend this series to anyone. Just tell them to ignore the last few minutes of the show Anime hyper
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Great ending to a good series. Animation was simply fantastic, music was awesome... everything just worked for me. As others have said, my only complaint was spoiler[the "resolution" of the love triangle, I wish Ranka would just give it up already.] Oh well, I guess they can save it for the movie or something.

A solid "good" in my book. Cool
kayoubi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The ending ep must have been the greatest use of insert music in all of anime. Completely blown away by the reprise finale! Can't really imagine how the Macross team can do much better. Great series and fantastic ending! tops marks in all categories!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Fantastic ending, if a little too open ended (though its certainly a change of pace of usual Macross, which is nice). However something that's been bugging me... What the heck was up with Biler? He seemed to be in on Galaxy's plot, what with his dream of uniting the Galaxy with easy space folding. But at the same time he was owner of SMS? Seems kind of at cross purposes. And what the heck was up with that picture of Minmei in his ring? They seriously need to do a follow up movie instead of a compilation, just to give the series a fuller epilogue.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Fantastic ending, if a little too open ended (though its certainly a change of pace of usual Macross, which is nice). However something that's been bugging me... What the heck was up with Biler? He seemed to be in on Galaxy's plot, what with his dream of uniting the Galaxy with easy space folding. But at the same time he was owner of SMS? Seems kind of at cross purposes. And what the heck was up with that picture of Minmei in his ring? They seriously need to do a follow up movie instead of a compilation, just to give the series a fuller epilogue.

A theory I've heard: spoiler[Bilrer has been competing with Grace to obtain and master the Vajra's fold communication technology. The Megaroad disappeared somewhere near the center of the galaxy, which is where the Frontier colony finds itself now. Apparently Bilrer wants to find the Megaroad, but his connection to Minmei is still a mystery.]
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
I'm of the stanch opinion that the next big Macross project should be spoiler[the fate of the Megaroad 01] even if its the 30th anniversary Macross project. That'll give Frontier time to run its course. And I don't mean dealing with it like spoiler[Frontier dealt with Macross Zero. Teasing us constantly throughout Frontier as though the events of Macross Zero would be extremely relevant, but instead leaving us with massive blue balls. What the heck was the connection between the Bird Human the Varja?! What happened to Shin/Sara?! TELL MEEEEE!!!! ARGGGGG!!!! *falls over* *dies*]
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
Now that Frontier is "over." I want to buy the series soo bad! But alas, I don't believe that we can purchase it in the states anytime soon! Crying or Very sad

Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 49