• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Frontier.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vash_theIT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
They just lacked anything in common, and she clearly wanted him to love her because she wanted him to love her, rather than because he had any good reason to love her. It was an entirely grasping, self-absorbed relationship on her part

To me that seems pretty typical for a girl her age, see's cute boy and goes out of her way to try and make him hers. Looking back I can see my little sisters doing similar things, and looking at some of my family in the same age group they seem to be doing things along similar lines.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Ahaha, I guess I am the only one here who didn't want the love triangle to have a "conclusion" - I don't see how they could have pulled that off without Alto dieing (considering the writing until maybe episode 12), and I sure would not have liked that.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To me that seems pretty typical for a girl her age, see's cute boy and goes out of her way to try and make him hers. Looking back I can see my little sisters doing similar things, and looking at some of my family in the same age group they seem to be doing things along similar lines.

Yeah, fair enough, it suits her character, and I don't think it makes her a bad person, just a bad girlfriend, which is why I never really had any doubts who Alto should end up with.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
Vash_theIT wrote:

Eh? Yes, she had a big crush on him; it was so obvious that thickheaded Alto was probably the only person in the known galaxy who hadn't cottoned on.

But I don't remember Ranka as being pushy for a relationship. If anything, that was exactly what Sheryl did. She was the one who:

---was deliberately "stalking" him,

---enrolling in his school to get close to him,

---kissing him among other instances of upping the sexual tension,

---throwing herself on him (late in series),

---manipulating him to stay by her side

---giving him extremely precious items,

---and just generally acting flirtatious around him.

Both Sheryl and Ranka liked him. But while Ranka just acted like a young girl with a crush virtually the entire time, Sheryl was the one who actively sought to "conquer" him. Therefore I totally refute the assertion that Ranka was out to make Alto hers. That was what Sheryl was trying to do.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bibi87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Both Sheryl and Ranka liked him. But while Ranka just acted like a young girl with a crush virtually the entire time, Sheryl was the one who actively sought to "conquer" him. Therefore I totally refute the assertion that Ranka was out to male Alto hers. That was what Sheryl was trying to do.

lol... Ranka was clearly trying to make Alto's hers, she just had a different approach to it. Or do you think that asking her brother to find him, joining his school, flying to gaia IV to rescue him, constantly texting and calling him isn't her pursing him? lol.... The only time she kissed Alto was because she accepted the role of Mao after seeing Sheryl kiss him.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
lol... Ranka was clearly trying to make Alto's hers, she just had a different approach to it. Or do you think that asking her brother to find him, joining his school, flying to gaia IV to rescue him, constantly texting and calling him isn't her pursing him? lol.... The only time she kissed Alto was because she accepted the role of Mao after seeing Sheryl kiss him.

What's so funny?

Like I said, Ranka had a crush on Alto. But Sheryl was the one being proactive in getting Alto to be with her. I mean, Ranka accepted the role so that she could kiss Alto, but who kissed him first? Who sexually teased Alto numerous times? Who treated him as little more than a dog for the first half of the show? Who was the one "guilting" him into staying with her when she was dying? Not Ranka.

Ranka's approach to love was childishly innocent. She had Alto in her apartment and did absolutely nothing; if there was a time to come on to him, that was it.

And many of the supposed instances of Ranka pursuing him were entirely explainable from a non-pursuing viewpoint:

---For instance, she asked Ozma to find out who Alto was (she didn't even know his name) so she could thank him for saving her life.

---She transferred to his school because of Elmo, and she did so many episodes after Sheryl.

---She went to save him to, well, save him. And tell him happy birthday; I did say she had a crush on him. But I don't think wishing him a happy birthday can be really regarded as pursuing him.

---As for texting and calling him, I'm pretty sure it wasn't all that much. The only way to argue that case is by focusing on the fact that she texted and called him far more than he contacted her. But, Alto is as thickheaded as they come; I'm surprised he even had higher brain functions. I'm joking of course, but let's face it; he's not the type to call and chat up girls in a social setting.

Anyway, I still maintain that though Sheryl was the better match for Alto, Ranka doesn't deserve to be the target of a hundredth of the hate that is directed towards her, let alone all of it.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I like Sheryl and Ranka really. I think they were both cool. I am slightly more in Sheryl's court as far as Alto goes, but I think they were both awesome.

The scene with both of them singing together would have to be one of the most blessed moments in male history if such a thing ever really were to occur, lol.

My only disappointment with Ranka is when she got a bit bent out of shape at the end seeing Alto and Sheryl in what was a surprisingly tame moment. I kind of think they over-hyped that event. I can understand she wanted to tell him right then, but they weren't doing anything. But beyond that I think they had a pretty respectful rivalry going between them. Alto is truly clueless, and I suppose to some extent intimidated. He definitely had no desire to choose and he probably played dumb in large part to avoid doing so.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
[quote="dtm42"]
Westlo wrote:
What's so funny?

That you seem to be absolutely clueless is what's funny, you can't seem to comprehend that their are multiple ways of pursuing someone. To say that only Sheryl pursued Alto and that Ranka didn't is a complete fallacy and slightly delusional.

Quote:
I mean, Ranka accepted the role so that she could kiss Alto, but who kissed him first?

It doesn't matter why she did it, she was pursuing him in her own way and she took that step.

Quote:
Who sexually teased Alto numerous times? Who treated him as little more than a dog for the first half of the show? Who was the one "guilting" him into staying with her when she was dying? Not Ranka.

Please don't act like Sheryl is Louise from ZnT, and don't ignore that Sheryl tried to push Alto away numerous times after she found out she was dying. Talking about guilt trips what exactly do you call episode 21?

Quote:
Ranka's approach to love was childishly innocent. She had Alto in her apartment and did absolutely nothing; if there was a time to come on to him, that was it.

Once again you seem to be unable to comprehend that their are many ways of flirting and pursing people, Ranka isn't exactly the type of person to make the first move in that setting now is she?

Quote:
---She transferred to his school because of Elmo, and she did so many episodes after Sheryl.

Ranka transferred to Alto's school to partly be with Alto, manga makes that more clear than the anime... and as for joining several episodes after Sheryl? Lol? She joined at the start of episode 8, Sheryl joined at the end of 8.

Quote:
---She went to save him to, well, save him. And tell him happy birthday; I did say she had a crush on him. But I don't think wishing him a happy birthday can be really regarded as pursuing him.

Hahahaha way to take those words only at face value, learn to read between the lines man.

Quote:
---As for texting and calling him, I'm pretty sure it wasn't all that much. The only way to argue that case is by focusing on the fact that she texted and called him far more than he contacted her. But, Alto is as thickheaded as they come; I'm surprised he even had higher brain functions. I'm joking of course, but let's face it; he's not the type to call and chat up girls in a social setting.

When you add it to everything else...

Quote:
Anyway, I still maintain that though Sheryl was the better match for Alto, Ranka doesn't deserve to be the target of a hundredth of the hate that is directed towards her, let alone all of it.

What the heck does this have to do with you not understanding that their are more ways to pursue someone than the way Sheryl did?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
I do want to say that I have never heard of Zenith National Insurance Corp. Zero no Tsukaima until I just Googled it literally ten minutes ago. If I had heard about, I certainly hadn't remembered.

If you cannot understand why I included that last paragraph, then that is your confusion to deal with.

As for the point in time that Ranka joined Alto's school, I'll admit that I had that wrong.

Sheryl was exhibiting classic Tsundere behaviour in her treatment of Alto.

My main point was that Ranka was so passive in "pursuing" Alto that she practically wasn't pursuing him at all. Did she enjoy being around him? Yes. Did she want to spend more time with him? Yes. Did she like him? Yes. Was she trying to "make him hers" (your words) by trying to be the only girl in his life? No. How can she have been said to pursue him (by any definition of the word) if she wasn't trying to romance him?
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Your last paragraph in the post prior to the above one had nothing to do with our conversation period. If you're trying to imply I'm saying Ranka pursued Alto because I dislike her character than you're a moron. If not make yourself more clearer.

I call it as I see it and this is not exactly a negative point for her character. And really I have to agree with what Key said in the Rideback thread, about wondering what your life experiences are if simple concepts like being social and flirting escape you. If you don't think Ranka was flirting with Alto at all than lmao @ you, flirting is so much more than what Sheryl did.

Quote:
How can she have been said to pursue him (by any definition of the word) if she wasn't trying to romance him?

You mean romance as in "I'm going to confess to Alto kun oh wtf is sheryl doing here, i don't want to sing anymore waaah"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 49 of 49