• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bones Studio's Newest Anime Confirmed as Bōnen no Xamdou

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Like the following shows or not I don't think you can deny that Bones have put out an impressive amount of original anime productions since 2002. RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Kurau Phantom Memory, Eureka Seven, Darker Than Black & Stranger - Mukoh Hadan (first 5 minutes was so good) and we have Bonen no Xamdou set to join that list.

Naming a studio and one title is like replying to the question name a better NBA team in the last 10 years than the Spurs (4 championships) with the Miami Heat (1 championship).

Actually, we won't know a thing about this title until it airs or is released to DVD. In the worst case scenario, this title could suck majorly.
hara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Lackshmana most. While BONES does have high production values their shows have many weakpoints considering plot and originality.
Their latest shows where extremely weak at the plot and character aspect. Although this is another matter of preference I would nevertheless say that Darker than Black had the most boring protagonists I've seen and Ayakashi Ayashi was just bland the whole time. Eureka 7's episodes differend very much considering quality and originality (c'mon, the first third of the show was something that's considered "filler episodes" in adaptions). The strongest parts of Eureka 7 were rip-offs from Evangelion xD

The only very good BONES shows imo are Kurau and RahXephon (although that one contains lots of references to other non-BONES-productions). It would be great if BONES could return to the glory of those days again.

But maybe they don't need to, because people go crazy about just having a show the brand "BONES" in the opening video xD

Again, this is just my honest opinion. I don't want to tell you what you have to prefer.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Teuvan wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Like the following shows or not I don't think you can deny that Bones have put out an impressive amount of original anime productions since 2002. RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Kurau Phantom Memory, Eureka Seven, Darker Than Black & Stranger - Mukoh Hadan (first 5 minutes was so good) and we have Bonen no Xamdou set to join that list.

Naming a studio and one title is like replying to the question name a better NBA team in the last 10 years than the Spurs (4 championships) with the Miami Heat (1 championship).

I know nothing about sports, but I didn't know a team's quality can be measured simply by their number of championships. Fancy that. And if that's the case, I didn't know anime could be measured in terms of "successful/non-successful," to the point where an average anime equals an extremely successful one.

I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding the quoted comment or just misrepresenting it, but there most definitely are correlations to be made regarding long-term, sustained success and quality performance versus one-time or short-term success. No one is saying the anime that hikaru004 mentioned were poor anime, or that they didn't measure against Bones' anime. The point Westlo was making had to do with his perception of long-term quality versus a bunch of different studios putting out one or two anime over that period that were better.

Anyway... yes, sports franchises are often measured solely by the number of championships won. For many professional teams, a season without a championship is indeed a failure, regardless of their performance relative to teams that did worse. But that aspect of it doesn't relate to anime. The relevant portion relates to sustaining success.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Afax wrote:
Lackshmana wrote:
In my experience Bones has excellent production values, designs, animation, music, etc... But their writing is usually pretty awful. I think that is why their original shows have a good deal of otaku appeal but very little main stream bite. They seem to be a visually focused studio, with story lines written mainly for otaku.

The only original Bones show I have seen yet that I thought was especially well scripted was Wolf's Rain, but I think Keiko Nobumoto is in a totally different league than any other writers at Bones.

I think you are confusing Bones and Sunrise.

If anything Bones stray away from writing anime FOR "otaku and concentrate on more character driven stories with very clear themes and morals. I wouldn't say Rahxephon, Wolf's Rain, Kurau, Eureka Seven, or Ayakashi Ayashi go to any sorts of length to cater to an "otaku" group in any way that isn't completely negligible.

You basically described many other studios (Sunrise, Gainax, and others are guilty of this), except Bones...

Bones is a lot like Sunrise though in how they go about doing their series. They are a spinoff studio from them after all so it's fairly easy to confuse them. Though I think the notion that they appeal only to otaku isn't quite true. I haven't seen Freedom, but that looks more like an artsy series then an otaku pandering one and while series like Fullmetal Alchemist do have a certain Otaku appeal they also reach an older audience too with some of their themes and the way the characters are handled.

I think all studios appeal to Otaku in one way or another, they kind of have to, but like you say often times it's in a neglible way.

Still if there's any studio that makes anime mainly for otaku that is visually oriented then I think it's Kyoto Animation that fits that statement more than Bones, Gainax or Sunrise. They basically follow that business plan to a T and jack up the moe to the point where you can tell who the target audience is pretty much right off the bat. Although technically their series don't qualify as original productions so I'm not sure they fit into this discussion very well.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Eureka 7's episodes differend very much considering quality and originality (c'mon, the first third of the show was something that's considered "filler episodes" in adaptions). The strongest parts of Eureka 7 were rip-offs from Evangelion xD

Hardly. What you call filler I consider character development and more subtle storytelling. Eureka Seven is a character driven piece, and those earlier episodes that developed the cast and the growing relationships were key to making that work. I think the problem with E7 is that so many see mecha and assume they're going to watch 25 minutes of robots fighting and things exploding while having a basic plot spoonfed to them episode after episode until its done. For having mecha in it, E7 was really barely a mecha series. I would say the mecha aspect was more of a backdrop. So it doesn't work for you, so what? That doesn't make it weak, it just makes it different from the style you like.

As for claims that it ripped off Eva. Wow, aside from a few subtle similarities that are more due to the commonality of the similarities than anything, it was scarcely similar to Eva at all. Heck, if they hadn't used mecha the comparison probably wouldn't even be made. But no, every Eva fan has to take any and every mecha series and find any small similarities they can and declare to the world how great Eva is and how everything else is just a wannabe.

Back on to the main point of the article, the folks over on IGN saw this and are immediately assuming it's a sequel to E7. Aside from being from Bones I'm not seeing anything presented to support that, in fact, the style seems completely unlike E7 and there's no mention of Project Eureka on this one. I honestly don't think E7 even needs a sequel, and that a sequel may just in fact ruin the ending of the series as tends to happen from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I like Eureka seveN. It's my favorite series. I am NOT going to rejoin the E7 vs. Eva debate.

Anyway, it's a Bones show, and that at least warrants the first 4-5 episodes. The studio has earned that much from me.

And I'd say Sunrise is more heavily otaku based than Bones. I mean, come on, what else do you call Code Geass? And there was that series known as Gundam too...

So which of these will come out first, Soul Eater or Bonen no Xamdou? Or will they come out at the same time? I have really been looking forward to Soul Eater, and I picked up the first graphic novel yesterday. Imagine my surprise to find out it was an ecchi novel! Hopefully neither of these anime will be ecchi pieces.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
So which of these will come out first, Soul Eater or Bonen no Xamdou? Or will they come out at the same time? I have really been looking forward to Soul Eater, and I picked up the first graphic novel yesterday. Imagine my surprise to find out it was an ecchi novel! Hopefully neither of these anime will be ecchi pieces.

Soul Eater premiers on 04/07, while there is no premier date for Xamdou yet.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
As for claims that it ripped off Eva. Wow, aside from a few subtle similarities that are more due to the commonality of the similarities than anything, it was scarcely similar to Eva at all. Heck, if they hadn't used mecha the comparison probably wouldn't even be made. But no, every Eva fan has to take any and every mecha series and find any small similarities they can and declare to the world how great Eva is and how everything else is just a wannabe.

Well, the director is a fan of Eva, but the two are obviously very different as you said. However, you're also overreacting to the previous post, as the person you're arguing with did not say that Eureka Seven is an Eva rip-off, but rather that parts of it ripped off Eva. I disagree that any of it really ripped off Evangelion. I thought the show was very original. However, there are scenes visually influenced by Anno's aesthetic. Look at the episodes storyboarded by the director, Kyoda, and you may pick up on the same resemblence that I did.

I really enjoy Bones's work. I've found it to be very consistantly well-done, unlike GAINAX's recent junk (Tsurumaki's work excepted), and they're probably one of my favorite studios in recent years.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

That's probably why Soul Eater has 2 broadcast times. Cut version premieres on 4/7 at 6 PM and uncut version premieres on 4/10 at 26:15.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Um, yeah. Not digging the pelvic-obsessed promo.

Quote:
What you call filler I consider character development and more subtle storytelling... I think the problem with E7 is that so many see mecha and assume they're going to watch 25 minutes of robots fighting and things exploding while having a basic plot spoonfed to them episode after episode until its done.

IIRC- Actually my problem with the show was that it spoonfed me excessive narration/monologue, which hurt the pacing and chances for subtlety.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Um, yeah. Not digging the pelvic-obsessed promo.

Confused Pelvic-obsessed?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Back on to the main point of the article, the folks over on IGN saw this and are immediately assuming it's a sequel to E7. Aside from being from Bones I'm not seeing anything presented to support that, in fact, the style seems completely unlike E7 and there's no mention of Project Eureka on this one. I honestly don't think E7 even needs a sequel, and that a sequel may just in fact ruin the ending of the series as tends to happen from time to time.

The only similarity I see it that it's most likely the same character designer...which I hope is true since I loved his designs in E7 and Oerman King Gainer. Other than that, and a similar color scheme, there's nothing that says they're related. But hey if it is, I won't complain.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I personally love early BONES stuff like FMA and Rahxephon. I think some of the best plots out there, like Scrapped Princess, have come from them. But I do think their quality in storytelling and characters has faltered lately. This new series just looks like a ton of fun and I like the artstyle.

I liked what I've seen of Kurau: Phantom Memory. I need to continue that sometime.
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pelvic-obsessed?

The robot's face is right in her crotch. I don't consider myself a prude or anything, but yeesh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3