• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You could point to the Transformers 2007 movie and say how great that was (and it was a fantastic movie, I readily admit).

I wouldn't. As far as the Transformers of the title itself, it was difficult to make them out among all the similar balls of wreckage fying all over the screen ... but in the end, it didn't matter, because it wasn't a movie about them, it was a movie about a boy trying to get laid.

That's not to say, by the way, that the movie had great source material to work with. A cool line of toys and even a well-conceived mythos are not in themselves inherent fodder for good storytelling.

But perhaps it's because there was so much potential for a well-told live-action movie about transforming robots that Michael Bay's testosterone fest was such a disappointment.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
It seems that to have a publication survive in the Internet age, you have to go after the broadest base possible.

But when you consider that what Play, Blender, Rolling Stone, Anime Insider, or Wizard can do what PiQ is trying to emulate, you know that someone fudged the boat in a major way. Theres a difference between "going broad" and "Why is there articles for Doctor Who, Torchwood, and....what the hell is Fifth Gear?"

Then again, given that People, Entertainment Tonight, and TMZ.com have managed to semi-peacefully co-exist for sometime now....
incinarae

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I think you've oversimplified the demise of Newtype as an anime exclusive magazine - it has a lot to do with the downloading situation. How's that? Newtype gets their revenue from ads bought by American distribution firms like Geneon. Geneon and companies like it are hurt by people downloading anime instead of buying it.
It's interesting that so many people are not willing to shell out money for DVDs, but are willing to pay for a mostly pictures, mostly ads magazine.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
incinarae wrote:
It's interesting that so many people are not willing to shell out money for DVDs, but are willing to pay for a mostly pictures, mostly ads magazine.
t could be that they had used it simply as a viewers guide of what to download next.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
incinarae wrote:

Two issues of NewTypeUSA at newstand prices came with more anime episodes at less cost than a single anime DVD at full retail price. And I think you are sort of assuming your conclusions here. Just because a lot of people do not buy DVDs, and some people used to buy NewTypeUSA, does not mean that a lot of people who bought NewTypeUSA did not buy DVDs.
tissuebubble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
Goodpenguin wrote:
I feel safe to bet at one point I was the biggest (and probably only) 10 year old Shintaro Katsu fan in all of New Jersey, or at least Stone Harbor.

Hey, my uncle used to live in Stone Harbor! He had once of those ginormous houses right on the bay. Too bad he sold it to move to Media, PA. And my grandparents still live in Ocean City, although not on the water or anything.

I have a summer home in Ocean City on the back waterways. Nice area haven't been there recently though...

And Zac, you don't need to be ashamed for admitting to like Card Captor Sakura's ending. Everyone that sees my collection always looks at me like I am crazy when they see my giant Card Captor Sakura section. I have the DVDs (not by Nelvana, geneon?) and mangas and even made myself some pretty cool (in my opinion at least) posters.
Horitsuba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Candy!

One of my favorite CCS songs . ♥ I love you for mentioning it. Anime hyper
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
To the list of great anime end themes, I'd like to put in my two cents and add Hiru no Tsuki and Tsuki no Ie from Outlaw Star:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ_1Q2iBDcY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xhok42kANA

As well as Junshin and Yumemiru Melody from Saint Tail. (for that matter, all of Saint Tail's ending themes, and opening themes, were pretty awesome.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GhNa7Yhpg4

http://jinxyminx.multiply.com/video/item/159/Kaitou_Saint_Tail_Yume_miru_Melody_Textless

Ah, natsukashii...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
oxybe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Was i ever "ridiculed" for being an anime fan? yeah, but not any more then i was ridiculed for playing D&D, Magic: the Gathering, video games, and generally being one of the biggest computer geeks in my small backwoods school. It comes with the territory of being into non-mainstream culture. i accepted that in middle school. if you didn't like sports or cars you were weird and i had no interest in either (hockey being the exception). unless the cars were robots of course.

i remember was when watching DBZ with my folks on YTV during my younger years (i be from canuckistan) when it first started being aired, while waiting for hockey season to start. my mom and dad always asked what was going on, to have me and my younger brother explain, "same as last month". we knew it wasn't the most intellectual show and we took it with a tongue and cheek attitude. flashy, silly and kinda lame, but at the end of a long day, it's a great way to burn those last brain cells. and for all their [mum and dad] complaining, they sat there and watched. and once hockey season was over, it was back to DBZ.

i "matured" if you will, and started branching out from shonen once i hit university. i started watching anime more regularly and didn't have the backing of my high school chums, i wasn't mocked when it came up, it was just another hobby.

4 years later, i'm living in an apartment with 3 other geeks, and we all tease in good fun on our own hobbies.

the best "insult", however came around 3-4 months ago:

i was chatting with the part-timer at my local Gaming Store, about, you guessed it: anime. he was watching Death Note on YouTube and, not having heard about it, i was listening to his summary. i moved aside to let a customer pass and he stopped to made some comment about us liking kid shows.

i looked behind me at the comics/manga on the wall, to my left at the board games, in front of me at the random TCG's & Minis behind the counter and to my right at the shelves of RPG books & trade paperbacks. I then told him he's kinda in the wrong place to be making fun of nerd or kiddie hobbies. the part-timer chuckled and the other guy just bought some trade paperback and left.
Barachem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
You could point to the Transformers 2007 movie and say how great that was (and it was a fantastic movie, I readily admit).

I wouldn't. As far as the Transformers of the title itself, it was difficult to make them out among all the similar balls of wreckage fying all over the screen ... but in the end, it didn't matter, because it wasn't a movie about them, it was a movie about a boy trying to get laid.

That's not to say, by the way, that the movie had great source material to work with. A cool line of toys and even a well-conceived mythos are not in themselves inherent fodder for good storytelling.

But perhaps it's because there was so much potential for a well-told live-action movie about transforming robots that Michael Bay's testosterone fest was such a disappointment.

I really hated how Michael Bay'd that movie.
The action sequences were utter crap.
I mean the fight between the transformers were so randomly shot, so jugglish, jittery and out of focus that i became a bit nauseous watching them.
Also the fight between kid and the small robot was stupid.
There wasn't a good and clar shot of how they fought with each other.

Furthermore, the story sucked long time and wasn't worth the € 8.50 i paid for it.
I mean, how come a boy ends up being more important than those big robots in the first place?
And the romance plot involved?
Scrap that, there was more need for continuity why things happened than for a mushy story about teenage love.
They should have grabbed a younger teenager, maybe even a nerd, to do the human main role.
It would have made the romantic part unnecessary and things would have moved on faster.
Also the whole teenager gets a car and nonsense was quite disappointing.
Oh yeah, plot holes.
How come they needed to move to a city to get picked up?
Why would Megatron understand the situation regarding the cube, etc. nearly directly without much communication?

I've seen older and better teenage films and while they're not up to date with tech and stuff, they still rock.
How come a classic like E.T. still is a masterpiece?
Because the plot, directing and everything flows together excellently.
Why is Raiders of the Lost Ark so good?
The same as above.
Also, consider Explorers, while by a long shot not as good as the previous two titles, is still a quite enjoyable and decent movie, albeit with a weaker ending.
And Flight of the Navigator is also a good teenager movie.
Ah, i forgot the Back to the Future trilogy, which is still a great trilogy revolving around an older teenager.

There we have it, Michael Bay royally screwed up the Transformers movie, making it just another sub-mediocre teenager action flick.

Regarding anime endings, i like these quite much...

Yume no Tamago from Rahxephon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRicQYhadCM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgJEpIqWstA [Soundtrack]

Daichi no la-li-la from Scrapped Princess:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REp5Pl-1dvM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nq9ujVkyZQ [Soundtrack]

Tsuki wa Miteru from Kokoro Toshokan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkWDPOqxq5U

Somewhat natural and unnatural considering that i normally listen to trance:
Myon - Albion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEpL77c1q0
Hybrid - Finished Symphony [Deadmau5 Remix] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8wpvC2d0kQ

Regarding non-japanese animation...
Honestly i don't care whether something is japanese or not, as long as i enjoy it.
For instance, i like(d) Pinky and the Brain, Beast Wars, X-Men, Futurama, the Simpsons, South Park, Fairly Oddparents and much more...
Currently i only watch stuff on my PC, so out go a lot of options and as i'm dutch, i just watch South Park for entertainment's sake.
Don't forget that in anime there's also so much chaff flying around.
Honestly, there's an overdose on high school anime, too much mediocre comedy, a flood of edgy and dark anime and much more cliche'd stuff.

Ah, ridiculing!
Well, i've had some of that at my work, where not everyone likes anime, but i got similar flak for liking Magic: the Gathering.
Among otaku though not everyone understand my preference for meganekko[women/girls with glasses] and i do have the occasional figurative prod about that.
But i get not much ridicule on average.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
"Kanashii Heart wa Moete Iru Wa" ("My Sad Heart is Burning"), the second ending sequence from the Kimagure Orange Road, primarily for the unique chalkboard animation, and the song itself kind of reminds me of the Eurythmics in a good way.

That's one of my favorite endings and for the reasons you mentioned. Several endings that I like have already been mentioned but one that hasn't is Virtual Star Embryology. Symbolic lyrics combined with symbolic imagery. The song is pretty good to. It also gets made into a really nice duel song for Saionji's third duel. Unfortunately, Geneon was the only company you could rely on to release soundtracks so it looks like we'll never get the third Utena soundtrack, which not only contains the duel version of VSE but Mikage's and Akio's duel songs as well.

American animation: I think my avatar says quite a bit. Frankly, I'm more excited that Disney's Sleeping Beauty and Sam & Max: Surfin' the Highway are getting released then about any anime or manga release.

Answerfans: The first anime I saw was Sailor Moon when it was running on Toonami. While I knew of its cut and edited status, and enjoyed the show despite all of it, it didn't prompt to go looking for the uncut, unedited version or more anime. That's not to say that I wouldn't indeed love to own uncut and unedited Sailor Moon DVDs, including Sailor Stars. My anime interest didn't really start until college when a friend of mine showed me Revolutionary Girl Utena. I loved every second of it and I wanted more. Since it me started on my fandom, I consider Revolutionary Girl Utena my first even though, technically, it isn't. Then when I was looking through the DVDs at my college's bookstore I saw the first volume of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and, on a whim, bought it. My wallet has been weeping ever since.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8