• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Link of the Day: HollywoodMewMew.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
GODHAND wrote:
Am I in the twlight zone or are people blowing this way out of perpotion. Why are they 2 news topics about this so soon after each other? It this really the biggest news in the anime world ? CN has 6 new shows plus new episodes of returning shows but that barely gives a blip on the various anime boards. But when one show Just the 1 that 4Kids has bought. It is treated like the second coming. (TZ has a 10+ page thread about it) Just be honest with me. Is this really all about the show and how important keeping the refrences in or is this one of the many many never going to end topics of anti 4Kids topics?

I think there's so much conversation over this because 1) even if it is a sort of Sailor Moon knock off, it's fun, and very popular, and 2) we've seen enough horrible dubs out there with horrible changes, and we don't want to see it happen again without an uncut version avalible. The biggest example of this would be Cardcaptors/Cardcaptors Sakura. Only reason I'm still not angsting over that dub is because I have avalible to me an uncut version of one of my faveorite shows.

xstylus: great job with the domain thinking. Anime hyper Either way you'll get their attention.

Oh yeah, has anyone wondered wether Tokyopop could give a hand in this? It's a long shot, but they are releasing the manga under the name of Tokyo Mew Mew.
maehara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sorta surprised you don't have a link to ANN on there. I mean, they even posted it in the news. I see animeondvd and animeacademy there.. :\

It's there - first paragraph of the main page. Just haven't copied it to the sidebar yet.

Give a guy a chance - I'm just outta bed... Smile
maehara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:07 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

However, I doubt 4Kids will listen. I saw their interview, they only care about the bottom line.

There are 2 situations in which providing a fan-friendly version will help their bottom line:

1. If they don't cut the video & only play around with the dub, then a bilingual disc makes sense. A subtitle track will only add a mininal amount to the production costs, as they'll have had to translate the show anyway - so it will take very few extra sales to recoup their costs. After that, it's win-win for both 4Kids & us.

2. If they give it the Cardcaptors treatment, then sublicense the rights to another company who's willing to take the risk on a subtitled-only release (at least ADV & Geneon have both done them in the past). 4Kids has guaranteed income from the sublicense fee, and we get our fan-friendly version.

There's probably other ways to do it that would be profitable to them, too.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Hmm maybe ya can give em the domain at the end of this campaign? ^^;;

Well, I did state that when when the site has outlived its usefulness the domain name will be allowed to expire. If 4kids expresses an interest in the domain name, I will help them get or simply transfer the remainder of the domain's subscription to them.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:43 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
A massive conventional letter writing campaign is definetely more credible than an net campaign.

However, I doubt 4Kids will listen. I saw their interview, they only care about the bottom line.

Which is why we appeal to their wallets. DVDs are cheap to make. They already have the license, so the big expense is past them. They don't have to do much altering to the DVDs, all they have to do is subtitle them and shoehorn them on a disc. At most, they'll have to pay replication (about 90 cents a disc MAX) and authoring (I'll make an EXTREME guestimate of $10,000 for everything production related). Assuming they make 10,000 discs and sell them to stores at $15 wholesale (when calculating a vendor's return on investment you need to consider what the wholesale price is, not the retail price), they've made a return on investment after selling about 1300 discs, and the rest is profit. Is that an attainable number? Yes. EASILY.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:50 am Reply with quote
There's still

-Encoding the Video
-Making Changes via original Japanese companies requests (if any)
-timing subtitles
-Translating subtitles
-authoring menus
-allocating costs
-ADR (assuming uncut dub)
-Licensing coverart
-any other extras
-a partidge in a pear tree

The DVDs wouldn't come pre-authored
maehara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:26 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
There's still

-Encoding the Video
-Translating
-authoring menus
-allocating costs
-ADR
-Licensing coverart
-any other extras

The DVDs wouldn't come pre-authored

Assuming there'll be a DVD release of their 'localised' version (fairly safe bet, I think), all that has to be done anyway. Most of it will need done even if it only goes to TV. That leaves these 'additionals' for a fan-friendly release:

Quote:

-Making Changes via original Japanese companies requests (if any)
-timing subtitles

I don't think that's asking too much. All that's assuming it's pretty much uncut, though.

If it is hacked up, then sublicensing Cardcaptors-style becomes the best option - in which case all of the above is likely to be out of 4Kids hands, anyway.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:16 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the 'Hollywood Mew Mew' episode where the main character finally achieves her dream of becoming a star after compromising her personal morals on the 'casting couch' of the city's most powerful producer.

Then she'll wind up face-down in the gutter on Sepulveda, pumped full of heroin.

-Z
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Then she'll wind up face-down in the gutter on Sepulveda, pumped full of heroin.

-Z

I think in this case it may be catnip replacing the heroin.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:

The fourth possibility is that 4Kids simply doesn't give a damn. Unlikely, but possible. They might decide to skip getting the site if the PR repercussions would respond very negatively against them. This is why I'm trying to get the word out as far and wide as possible. It'd be harder for them to resolve the matter quietly and sweep it under the rug.

Personally, I believe that this is the case (as I've said on AoD; I'm fumoffu there). And more than them not caring about fans, they either know or believe that kids are stupid and they are using that to an advantage. Also, what Kahn said was some of the dumbest bull... that I've heard. With one series he's saying that young female charas are sexy and then later contradicts himself with his BS belief that their shows are not anime and anime ain't for kids but for adults.

Quote:
2. If they give it the Cardcaptors treatment, then sublicense the rights to another company who's willing to take the risk on a subtitled-only release (at least ADV & Geneon have both done them in the past). 4Kids has guaranteed income from the sublicense fee, and we get our fan-friendly version.

In this case believe it would be FUNi because they're 4kids exclusive distributer (cept with Sonic X because ShoPro also holds the license) but I don't belive FUNi is willing to take a chance on a sub only release.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Who cares? Its a kids anime show, 4Kids doesnt do anime localization like other "anime" companies do, to them its no different than working on any ol cartoon, and in the end they always succeed.

Dont waste your time with 4Kids, they arent gonna change into a real anime company just to suit the tastes of older fans and purists. If you wanna enjoy Tokyo Mew Mew in its original state, just get the manga.
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I kinda want to get a few things off my mind in terms of this

1) I am thinking 4Kids will do a Digimon-syle edit job on Mew Mew. I am also guessign that they are marketing it towards the networks and the title "Tokyo Mew Mew" might not sound as catch phraisey than per say, "Mew Mew" or what they currently have it at "Hollywood Mew Mew".

2) Sublicencing. Frankly I don't even know if they even hold the subtitled rights, nor dies anyone except who is involved in this whole shebang. While it would be nice to get some official word from the PR folk at 4Kids, from past experence I wouldn't expect too much.

3) DVD Production costs - Yeesh, I wish that was all that is involved in producing anime DVDs. =P Sad to say, but the days of a subtitled only release are almost gone and for a bigger title like this, it would just be stupid to do a sub only release considering the target market and everything. IMO, a release ala CCS/CC might be the best for this series due to the dub nature and the enevitable edits. Of course #2 comes into play here too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
iamthatdizzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think there's so much conversation over this because 1) even if it is a sort of Sailor Moon knock off, it's fun, and very popular, and 2) we've seen enough horrible dubs out there with horrible changes, and we don't want to see it happen again without an uncut version avalible. The biggest example of this would be Cardcaptors/Cardcaptors Sakura.

Didn't ADV go back and Re-release the first 4 seasons of Sailor moon Uncut, in japasese and with subtitles?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
No, just the 1st two. Geneon had alredy released seasons 3 and 4 uncut.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Respectfully, there is likewise something that will hurt their bottom line: Originial material which parents may discover and complain about, a la Sailor Moon Season Five. I haven't seen TMM, but I'm guessing that if anything is left uncut which a responsible parent objects to, they will object vocally and do their darndest to get the item off the air--and thereby remove the acquisition as a serious money maker in the American children's show business.

These people are currently enjoying unparrallelled success when it comes to local distribution of animation, even as they scew over fans. Make them aware of your feelings and concerns, but don't expect much. If they can make Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh big hits with massive editing, then you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll likely figure out a way to parrallell their success this time, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3