• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Named Best Independent Video Vendor

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
So I assume none of Funimation's titles have been fansubbed? Because of course, if they had been, they would not have sold at all, would they?

Stop trying to play down a serious problem.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
So I assume none of Funimation's titles have been fansubbed? Because of course, if they had been, they would not have sold at all, would they?

When, as an anime company, you're planning to sell a hundred thousand units of a DVD (just to pick a number), and lose ten thousand to fansubs, that's annoying, but not deadly.

When you'll be lucky to move ten thousand, and then only move five, or less, you have a big problem. Oh, and the monthly payment on the lease for your office is due tomorrow.

For some anime, there *is* no viable U.S. market, and no attempt to imagine otherwise will get anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:

Let me get this out of the way first...

your troll-fu is weak.

/snags some popcorn for the ensuing fansub/anti-fansub debate
//I'm sure everyone will behave in an civilized manner and won't make it personal Rolling Eyes
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
All I meant was, obviously there is a way for licensing companies to be profitable. Maybe if more people ran their businesses the way Funimation does, we wouldn't hear "the sky is falling!" every five minutes. If niche titles can't turn a profit, stop licensing them.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Contrary to what some people believe, Funimation doesn't suck after all, huh? =P

Shhh... don't tell Matt. He tells such great stories.

Apparently, he's not great enough.

"Smores & Hotdogs," huh? I know of a few campfire stories myself.

There's one about a few otaku-turned-backstabbers, stuffed animals from Excel Saga, and the bet that "we can't buy just one."

And then there's one that's based on "The Little Engine That Could;" said engine is "Bandai Namco Holdings," its daughter companies $unrise and Bandai Visual USA, the idea that "these big engines could do better when they pretend to be small," and the trainwrecks that always happen to them.

Finally, there's my favorite: The Wizard of ANN, about the guy who uses websites and some connections to pretend that he's big and scary. The best part for me was where his machinery stopped working for him, where he said that "haters of the Evangelion movies are just in denial," and he loses all credibility. Very Happy

luhead wrote:

No, I believe that the real problem is that the vocal hardliner otaku-tachi don't like anime that end up under Funimation for one reason or another. They can't dig it if it's not the "lowest common denominator."

Unfortunately: That type of otaku doesn't represent the paying mainstream anime fandom.

Yeah. Who do you take orders from? A guy who's paying? Or the guy who's not paying?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
ahhh yes, where would we be without otaku-based drama.

We're also forgetting the little ditties about the million dollar displays and the parable of "you'll buy whatever junk we license, you have no choice"

Good times... good times Smile .
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to be part of the good times. All the way.

I'd like to hear more shenanigans, though. =P
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Late night panels
Industry panels

Those are your best places to witness the best moments of any con (albeit usually for different reasons).

That said, I can only take so much of a con any more... in the evenings I'm usually at a bar hanging with friends or going out somewhere interesting.

Even an otaku like me needs to decompress sometimes Smile
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
All I meant was, obviously there is a way for licensing companies to be profitable. Maybe if more people ran their businesses the way Funimation does, we wouldn't hear "the sky is falling!" every five minutes. If niche titles can't turn a profit, stop licensing them.

amen to that. I don't quite get how the comment was "trolling" as it made a very good point.

Even though this isn't for this year, they'll probably win it again, as Geneon is dead and ADV can't get their titles out on time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2