• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - 3-D Test

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Skyward Sword is the first Zelda title to make extensive use of the Wii Motion Plus, so much so that the special edition of the game includes a gold Wii Remote Plus (and a compilation of Zelda music).

True and untrue. The 25th Anniversary music CD that Skyward Sword comes with is included with initial print copies of both the game by itself and the Limited Edition version with the Gold Wii RemotePlus, it's not just included with the Limited Edition.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I still have to beat TP. I got to the Temple of Time a year ago and just kinda stopped... I need to play it again. I will start a new game. I plan to get it for Christmas, so I have plenty of time.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
in other news Sony's stock has plunged to a 24-year low. Yet I don't see anyone preaching "Sony is doomed!". Hmmmm, suspicious. Also, Mario just came out, any worrying is now rendered pointless.

Keeping an eye on KoFXIII. Hopefully this works out for SNK as the game does look like a huge improvement over the tepid XII
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Remember when bonus content was...you know...actually a bonus? Something you got for free just by buying the game? I don't inherently object to DLC. In fact, it's a great way to keep adding to a game far beyond the scope of what would be plausible as free bonus content. However, I hate the way it's pretty much cannibalized any chance of ever seeing free bonus content. At this point, unless they absolutely have to give you something as part of the game, they're going to make it DLC. Or worse, make it a "preorder bonus". Any DLC that is available day 1 is bullshit. If content is finished and ready to go at launch then there's really no reason it shouldn't just come with the game. Otherwise you're just actively withholding part of your game in order to try and strong arm people.

(Kudos on the book though. That's a great example of the right way to get people to preorder).

On a different note, I haven't bought a 3DS for the simple reason that it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. I really don't care about 3D or motion sensors and the graphics don't actually look like any great improvement over the DS. I don't much like the idea of buying a new system simply because Nintendo says I have to if I want to keep playing their games.

Quote:
Zelda, closing the Wii's career just as Twilight Princess helped start it five years ago.

I still consider TP to be a Gamecube game that got a Wii port.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Before people start complaining let me just let everyone know that you dont NEED to have read the FFXIII Novella in order to understand anything going on in FFXIII-2. It is merely extra.

That being said while I too hate the different pre-order bonuses (still ticked off I cant get Cloud's KH outfit in Dissdia). As a collector I gotta have that book. I only hope that the other two pre-order stuff will eventually be DLC.

I very much enjoyed FFXIII but did find it lacking only in exploration I was used to in the other series. I am really cant wait for January 31st.

Also extremely happy that the Collectors Edition has the OST. I had to import the FFXIII OST Limited Edition. It was worth every penny Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Japan will be getting quite a few of them over the next few months. Who knows if any other countries will be getting them, however...

Nintendo of America would be pretty stupid not to try getting them once they come out.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Japan will be getting quite a few of them over the next few months. Who knows if any other countries will be getting them, however...

Nintendo of America would be pretty stupid not to try getting them once they come out.

Well, they certainly can't approach it the way they did the Wii, so it's possible...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Well, they certainly can't approach it the way they did the Wii, so it's possible...

In your opinion, do you think they'll just keep ignoring RPGs?
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Gaaaaah, why do I keep reading videogame news? I stopped playing 3 years ago, but now with the release of a new Zelda game on Wii and several new titles on the 3DS, I'm starting to want them again! I can't split my money between anime and videogames damn it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Asrialys wrote:

In your opinion, do you think they'll just keep ignoring RPGs?

I don't think they can for that long. Things like Operation Rainfall and the like show positive support for the RPGs Wii owners want. I'm part of the camp that hopes that NOA is planning on releasing The Last Story, Xenoblade, and Pandora's Tower in 2012. However, who knows how many potential sales NOA would have lost by then if Europe releases all three before NOA (and Xenoblade is already out). It's hard to tell how NOA feels about these RPGs when they aren't saying anything. People can only assume that they're either going to release them later or they're not willing to spend the money on localizing them at the risk of low sales.

Even on the DS, I fear for Fire Emblem games since the second Fire Emblem DS game never made it out of Japan. It's a sequel to Shadow Dragon, which was well-received by players, and it has Marth!

The RPGs coming for the 3DS that don't use Nintendo's main cast of IPs or aren't published by Nintendo are pretty much coming from 3rd parties. As far as I know, that's up to those companies whether or not those are localized anywhere.

As for other future Nintendo-published RPGs, that'll likely have to wait till the Wii U, and that is a system Nintendo wants to market to gamers of all levels. I'm hoping that Nintendo of America backs that up as well.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
You'd be surprised how many diehard KOFites discuss and dissect the "story" in these games.

I own nearly every KOF from 98 and on (well, I skipped the 3d games) and I still don't give a damn--nor have I able to make sense of--the "story" in the games. All I know is that if King isn't in it, it's less of a game for me.

I'm still waiting for the day when Rosa from Kizuna Encounter makes an appearance in a KOF game. What an awesome character waiting to be used again. Throw her into the Ikari Warriors team.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe all the critical acclaim Skyward Sword has gotten, totally threw me off-guard. Shocked

Ocarina of Time is my all-time favorite (neck-and-neck with Chrono Trigger), but I've been disappointed with Link's outings ever since. So, without high hopes for Skyward Sword I'd practically sworn off Zelda as a franchise, but... could this be the game that revives my interest and faith in the series?

Gugh, it's like battered wife syndrome, I keep coming back and getting disappointed, but I hold onto the glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe this time it'll be different. Rolling Eyes

Definitely looking forward to hearing the reviews of other gamers. Very Happy
Dannyhibiki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
A couple of corrections on the article:

That isn't Vice on the cover of KoF XIII, it's Iori Yagami.

There is no online multiplayer in the Tekken Tag component of hybrid; it's local multiplayer only.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
As for other future Nintendo-published RPGs, that'll likely have to wait till the Wii U, and that is a system Nintendo wants to market to gamers of all levels. I'm hoping that Nintendo of America backs that up as well.

That's what Nintendo said about the Wii, if your nintendo what would you rather do, make cheap mii games that sell millions of copies or release Xenoblade that might sell about 200,000 and cost a lot more to create.
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
On a different note, I haven't bought a 3DS for the simple reason that it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. I really don't care about 3D or motion sensors and the graphics don't actually look like any great improvement over the DS. I don't much like the idea of buying a new system simply because Nintendo says I have to if I want to keep playing their games.
You should care for its system wide StreetPass/SpotPass feature and Game Coins. The ability to receive new stuff and also make "puchases" using in-game currency aquired by walking are great incentives, especially when games utilize them. But if you're saying that the graphics aren't a great improvement over DS then you must be blind.
AiddonValentine wrote:
in other news Sony's stock has plunged to a 24-year low. Yet I don't see anyone preaching "Sony is doomed!". Hmmmm, suspicious. Also, Mario just came out, any worrying is now rendered pointless.

Yeah, I find Todds comments surprisingly negative towards 3DS, which is surprising considering Super Mario 3D Land pretty much proves the benefits of having 3D with gameplay (which, unlike Super Mario 64 DS, isn't an enhanced port). Perhaps Todd hasn't played it yet (and he should). Even I didn't feel like getting it at first, bought it on a whim, and was surprise how...robust it became.

And yes, there have been numerous RPGs already in the cards like Beyond the Labyrinth.
Now about Zelda: There's going to be a lot of opinions that will vary about which direction it should take from here on out. But honestly I'm all for whatever works. I still can't believe people wanting traditional controls for this Zelda.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3