• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
US Manga growth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
himiko-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
You've actually seen other people browsing the manga sections at the bookstores?

Absolutely!!! Except they're all way younger than me. High school and younger. (Even ones young enough where mom has to say, "You can buy this one, but that one goes back on the shelf.") Usually they shop one or two at a time. On the other hand, at the manga rack at Suncoast you'll see big groups of girls and guys together shopping the manga. (I suppose they are there mall-crawling. Do people still use that word?)

Cerberus wrote:
I too have never seen another boy at the manga section in my bookstore. I guess it's because boys don't spend as much time looking for manga to buy, we just find one we want and leave soon after. I've noticed that many of the girls will spend a lot of time reading the whole volume and then buying it. O_o

I've seen guys camp out on the floor or pull over a chair and read, right in the middle of the shelves. Not often, but... (Well, maybe they were waiting for someone, because, like you said, more often they do the grab and run.) I know anytime I wanted to have a good read through a chapter or more I would take it elsewhere in the store so as not to be in the way! Smile
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess it bodes badly for Animerica Extra that nobody here recognizes it as a monthly shoujo magazine. I know Viz said it was going to go all shoujo but it has no life in it. I like Fushigi Yugi and I'm collecting it but I haven't ever been attracted by the other titles in it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
I guess it bodes badly for Animerica Extra that nobody here recognizes it as a monthly shoujo magazine. I know Viz said it was going to go all shoujo but it has no life in it. I like Fushigi Yugi and I'm collecting it but I haven't ever been attracted by the other titles in it.

Yeah, I don't really consider Animerica Extra a full shoujo mag. Sure it has Fushigi Yugi and Utena, but everything else is questionable in the genre. Viz has lots of other shoujo titles that could easily make up a wonderful shoujo magazine, but they aren't jumping for it it seems.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
And we girls had such hopes after Viz came out with Shonen Jump...
haze-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:32 pm Reply with quote
You will frequently find me angsting on what to spend that sacred $8-$15 on at WB or BN (heck even Suncoast!).

I don't sit there forever looking, unless they have a HUGE selection, but you will see me hold one book in one hand and one in the other and trying to decide which one I get.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:49 am Reply with quote
haze-chan wrote:
You will frequently find me angsting on what to spend that sacred $8-$15 on at WB or BN (heck even Suncoast!).

I don't sit there forever looking, unless they have a HUGE selection, but you will see me hold one book in one hand and one in the other and trying to decide which one I get.

This is my thread so I can ask stupid questions Anime catgrin

As a guy, when I have to choose between 2 manga, I almost always pick the one with the prettier cover. Can a guy say 'prettier'? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop lol.

Is that 'usual' for a deciding factor?
Cerberus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
As a guy, when I have to choose between 2 manga, I almost always pick the one with the prettier cover. Can a guy say 'prettier'? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop lol.

Well that has happened to me a few times, but you know what they say: "Don't judge a book by its cover." Sometimes if I'm sure that the manga that might not have the nicer cover is good, I'll get it. For example, I have to say I didn't like the first cover to Rurouni Kenshin too much, yet I still bought that over Naruto 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Cerberus wrote:
Well that has happened to me a few times, but you know what they say: "Don't judge a book by its cover." Sometimes if I'm sure that the manga that might not have the nicer cover is good, I'll get it. For example, I have to say I didn't like the first cover to Rurouni Kenshin too much, yet I still bought that over Naruto 2.

-_- I'm guilty of judging manga by the cover, which I don't do with regular books. I'm an art whore, so if the manga has gorgeous art, I'll probably pick it over something I haven't read or heard anything about that doesn't look as pretty.
haze-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:

Not for me. When I become totally indecisive, I go by the amount of pages the book has.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:11 am Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:

I try to get series that I will enjoy immensely the second time arround. It hurt, but I've dropped series because I know I'll barely read them.

I picked up Basara recently even though the art is kinda weird to some people. The cover doesn't look anything like a shoujo. There's some guy in ragged dress in a desert with a sword. I'd passed it up before. But then I noticed how Viz had written shoujo on the cover and took a peak it. I was hooked Smile It was only after I'd bought and read the first volume I learned I'd gotten myself into another huge series.
sacchan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Basara is one series I read over and over again!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I think part of manga's growth is it's really fairly cost effective.

DVD's require players and TV's, and are between 17 and 30 bucks a pop. Spread that out over an average release and you've got one helluva investment. I love X TV, but lordy lordy $27 a volume for 8 volumes is a trip through thin wallet lane.

I recently finished collecting Mars, and bare cost (not counting sales tax) for all 15 volumes is $150. Collecting all of X will set me back in total $216. Not a big difference, but still, less of a dent per volume and less of an overall dent is what it is.

Besides, gotta love the variety. Manga has made it easy for me to fill a shelf with stories about racing Toyotas, ditzy lovelorn angels, and vicious reincarnated vampires.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
DVD's require players and TV's...

Besides, gotta love the variety. Manga has made it easy for me to fill a shelf with stories about racing Toyotas, ditzy lovelorn angels, and vicious reincarnated vampires.

Yeah, portability and variety are strengths that books, not just manga, have. Nothing beats being able to take a story virtually wherever you go with relative ease.
I love the fact that even if you have the anime, that the manga gives either a different perspective on the story or offers a lot of insight you couldn't get with the anime.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:21 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Yeah, portability and variety are strengths that books, not just manga, have. Nothing beats being able to take a story virtually wherever you go with relative ease.
I love the fact that even if you have the anime, that the manga gives either a different perspective on the story or offers a lot of insight you couldn't get with the anime.

Many of the manga series, DRASTICALLY differ from the anime versions. If you really like a series of anime, you HAVE to find the graphic novels, because they are probably different.

It astounds me that so many Bebop fanatics that cry about There being no more Bebop don't know that their is a completely different series of manga from the anime. There is the normal series and then the 'alternate' series "Shooting Stars".

The escaflowne manga is a completely different series, as well as many others.

I'm a Uni student in a big city, I always carry a bag; and a book or manga is always amongst its contents. Cool
L337Llama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
The things I'd like to see the most:

Slightly lower prices (like a dollar or two less) It'll probably happen in the future, like the way SHonen Jump stuff is priced less than Tokyopop, etc.

More magazines (like Shonen jump, but other types of series as well)

And something I'm very interested in: more stuff from American authors. How has the American-made series been selling?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3