• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesilo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
After watching episode 1 of Kure-nai its easy to see where it came from. The Director did some of Red Garden and Rozen Maiden. Teenager having to protect younger(smaller) girl. Art style of Red Garden. I can't see where this is bad as I really enjoy both of those series, Rozen Maiden a little bit more, but I'll be staying for the ride.
Jen526

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is a good suggestion; the only issue I can see is that by its very nature this format is based almost entirely on chronological order.

One thing that I think would help without a major indexing change is adding a timestamp for the individual entries on each reviewers page?

It would at least give an easier way to identify the reviews you haven't read yet.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I read the Shojo Beat preview of Special A last year and it didn't really work for me. And the anime isn't either for the same reasons plus some. The way the introductions were done bugged me a bit and the series takes the Elite Class thing more seriously than it should. None of the scenes that were supposed to be serious worked for me; it felt like they were going through the motions but that was it. On the flip side, the comedy almost completely failed. The tossed gags at the viewer almost nonestop but they weren't funny. At times there were things that seemed like I should have found funny but they just weren't. The only part of the episode I laughed at was the very end.

I'll see if it gets better or it just clicks in another episode or two but I don't think I'll be sticking around for this one.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Jen526 wrote:

It would at least give an easier way to identify the reviews you haven't read yet.

Well, the newest one is always at the bottom. Always. I just add them to the bottom of the page.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Silly me for forgeting about Allison and Lilia. While I didn't love Kino's Journey, I appreciate it for what it is and I would like to read the novel(s). I'll definitely check that one out. Sounds beautiful.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping someone will be reviewing ep. 1 of Library War. I'm really excited about that series. I think it aired yesterday? I realize that it might take a while for the sub, so this is not a post about "OMG, why haven't you reviewed this yet???"

Also, I hope someone doesn't mind reviewing yaoi, 'cause I'm really curious about Junjo Romantica. Smile

Oh, and thanks for the reviews so far! I've been tracking it daily, and so far there's 1-3 new shows that look promising for my tastes.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I love the thick line art in Library War, good music, nice op and ed, show is animated beautifully and that dojo scene is nice.
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I apologize if this is a completely stupid question, but I've been wondering for some time.

I fully understand that ANN does not condone illegal downloading of anime showing in Japan. (I wouldn't know where to find it even if I wanted to ... thus my question)
However, their own reviewers are reviewing what I assume is anime now showing in Japan.
So my question is: Where do you go to legally watch all this anime if you are not physically in Japan to watch it on Japanese TV?
Does ANN have listings on the site that tell us legal places to go to watch it?
How do the reviewers and all of you that are now discussing these shows see them?

Again, my apology, but as an explanation, the only anime I have ever seen is on American TV or via Region 1 dvds, so all my anime experience is obviously very limited.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Noir wrote:

I fully understand that ANN does not condone illegal downloading of anime showing in Japan. (I wouldn't know where to find it even if I wanted to ... thus my question)

Anime News Network has no official position regarding fansubs. Nor any other topic. Our staff members have personal opinions, but those do not reflect the position of the company.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I'm hoping someone will be reviewing ep. 1 of Library War. I'm really excited about that series. I think it aired yesterday? I realize that it might take a while for the sub, so this is not a post about "OMG, why haven't you reviewed this yet???"

Also, I hope someone doesn't mind reviewing yaoi, 'cause I'm really curious about Junjo Romantica. Smile

I think it's safe to say that Library War will get done once it gets fansubbed, as that's one I'd have been checking out anyway.

About the other? We'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Elfen Noir wrote:

Anime News Network has no official position regarding fansubs. Nor any other topic. Our staff members have personal opinions, but those do not reflect the position of the company.

Okay, then I gather that "fansubs" is the roundabout answer to my question? If that's so, then what are they, are they legal? is that what your reviewers use to review? and how do you find them if they are legal?

I'm not trying to be difficult, stupid, whatever you want to call it, I'm just trying to understand - so thanks for any information.

I'm a novice in case you have noticed and I find it hard to believe that there aren't other people out there like me; so, perhaps an article or a guide on the site explaining how everything works would be helpful and perhaps prevent silly/stupid questions? I doubt everyone is "born" knowing how all this works once they've discovered anime and want to delve more deeply into it. So, again, thanks, and sorry for lapse if that's what I've done.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Noir wrote:
Zac wrote:
Elfen Noir wrote:

Okay, then I gather that "fansubs" is the roundabout answer to my question? If that's so, then what are they, are they legal? is that what your reviewers use to review? and how do you find them if they are legal?

I'm not trying to be difficult, stupid, whatever you want to call it, I'm just trying to understand - so thanks for any information.

I'm a novice in case you have noticed and I find it hard to believe that there aren't other people out there like me; so, perhaps an article or a guide on the site explaining how everything works would be helpful and perhaps prevent silly/stupid questions? I doubt everyone is "born" knowing how all this works once they've discovered anime and want to delve more deeply into it. So, again, thanks, and sorry for lapse if that's what I've done.

I think it's pretty clear that they're using fansubs, fansubs are still illegal, and you can put two and two together. Given that this is the 3rd or 4th time it's come up in the overall discussion, I don't see the reason to keep bringing it up.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Noir wrote:

Fansubs are most of the answer yes. In some cases ANN does get subtitled screeners directly from Japanese companies and/or their US counterparts, and we do have Japanese speaking staff on hand. However, none of our Japanese staff are involved in this season's preview, and to the best of my knowledge, none of the shows were sent to us by the companies this season. So I'd wager that all of this season's previews are based on fansubs.

The legality of fansubs varies somewhat from country to country. In pretty much every country it is legal to produce them, but illegal to distribute them. In some countries it is legal to download them, and in others it isn't.

The ethics are much more hotly debated. Some feel that downloading fansubs is wrong-period, ANN has staff members that feel this way. Others feel that it is wrong to download fansubs in some situations, and not in others, ANN has staff members that feel this way. Finally, some people think that it's perfectly alright to download fansubs under any situation, I do not know if any of our staff feel this way. The various issues regarding whether or not fansubs are okay are very similar to the same issues that surround unauthorized music downloads. Obviously there are some parts of the discussion that are unique to fansubs. The ratio of benefit to harm fansubs do the industry and whether there is a net benefit or net harm is also widely debated.

For the most part, the industry is now taking an anti-fansub stance, although the opinions of individuals within the industry do vary. Most recently, the Tokyo AnimeCenter had this to say about fansubs.

As Zac stated, ANN itself does not have an opinion regarding fansubs. As editor in chief of ANN, I do not feel it is appropriate for me to enforce the façade of a unified opinion across my staff. Individually they are entitled to their own opinions, and free to express those opinions should they chose to do so.

That being said, we do recognize that the distribution of fansubs is illegal, downloading fansubs may be illegal depending on the downloader's location, and facilitating illegal downloads by whatever means may also be illegal in various countries. Therefore, as a policy, we do not allow any discussion that facilitates the download of fansubs. Discussing the content of unlicensed anime, does not actually facilitate the download of fansubs, nor does it directly promote the act or even necessarily affirm that fansubs were involved, therefore we allow people to discuss unlicensed anime in the forum, and we ourselves cover unlicensed anime.

As a result of this, we can't and won't tell you how to find fansubed or bootlegged copies of any of the anime covered in this preview. You can of course watch it on Japanese TV is you have access to Japanese TV.

Please note, I made a point not to state whether or not fansubs were ethical, harmful, evil, whatever... This thread is not the place for a discussion about fansub ethics. To be honest, it's not a place for discussing fansubs at all, but rather a place to discuss the shows covered in this preview. If you want to further discuss the topic of fansubs in any way, start a thread in the anime forum.

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Christopher MacDonald, thanks very much, that helps me understand a lot more than I did. I will go back to my lurking mode now. And obviously back to the same way I have been 'doing' my anime Smile
Again, thanks.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
These reviews aren't too bad. The writing is good, entertaining, and I do appreciate opinions of people from different backgrounds. I read the old thread, and I think the reviewers definitely missed a few points here and there, and perhaps not as well informed as we'd expected. But, of course, some of us are more than willing to correct you and point out to you the jokes you missed and pass you cultural notes, so you're not completely clueless. I mean, we frequent ANN, we happily crawl through the encyclopedia daily, this is what we do, and this is why we are here.

kyokun703 wrote:
I'm hoping someone will be reviewing ep. 1 of Library War. I'm really excited about that series.

It was wonderful. I'll leave the rest to the reviewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13