• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eva Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick question, did the Eva mangas come out in English? I looked everywhere but couldin't find them. I found them in french thats it! I also found the Viz single comics, but it's hard to get all of them. If you know where I can find them let me know.
SharinganKakashi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
yes they did, but this should probably go in the manga forum. lol
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they are out. But Viz is going to be reprinting them at a lower price starting in April, so I'd try looking for them then.

But yes, this should be in the manga forum. Very Happy
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:21 pm Reply with quote
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:41 pm Reply with quote
volumes 1 to 7 are out currently, I haven't found any news on issue 8.... I want it now!
^ . ^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately if you check Viz's site there's no news of it comming out at all. I know their up to book 9 in Japan, and there's supposed to bo 11 books in all. I think it is pathetic making people wait this long for the next release. I really wish somebody else would have brought it out here, instead of viz. Perferably, someone who wouldn't make people wait an obscene amount of time for the next book.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Book 8 = April

Book 1-7 (reprints) = April- October

Book 9 = Sometime this year
L337Llama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
How different is the manga from the anime? Is it a really direct translation, or does it stand out on it's own more?
^ . ^

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
It's not a direct translation. If it was, I don't think anyone would buy it. They still fight the angels like they do in the anime, but theres 's little details added to the story that you didn't get in the anime. You know how in episode 1 in the anime series you see Rei hurt. Well in the manga, you see her fighting the angel first in unit 01, which explains how she got hurt. So, in a lot of ways, they compliment each other. You also find out in book one that the shadow figure Shinji sees sometimes while in his eva and thinks is his momspoiler[isn't his mom, but a monster.]

The first two books arn't way different than the series. Book 4 when Asuka shows up is where things are really different, to me.spoiler[Instead of her and Shinji teaming up to beat angel in the water, she beats him easy right at first by herself] You'll see little stuff like that through out the manga, plus some stuff added in here and there. Shinji also seems to be a lot less of a whuss. He's more manly, I guess you could say.It's not a radical change from the anime series (not yet), but I think it's worth reading.

I have heard that Yoshiyuki Sadamoto does want the manga to have a happy ending, it's supposed to be radically different from the series ending. But we're just gonna have to wait (and I do mean wait) and see about that.
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
There is, I beleive, less angels in the manga. I think it is 12 instead of...whatever number, 17, or 18. Also, Jet Alone is skipped. I really want to read them, and my B&N has some of the old non special edition ones. It is missing volume 4, and I am sad v_v I love Asuka, and want to see the changes.

I do love Shinji's attitude in the manga. Less whiny, but kinda...snooty? I don't know the word, but it isn't that bad of a thing.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:19 am Reply with quote
^ . ^ wrote:
You know how in episode 1 in the anime series you see Rei hurt. Well in the manga, you see her fighting the angel first in unit 01, which explains how she got hurt.

Wasn't she hurt in episode 1 spoiler[because of the failed activation experiment with Unit-00 a few days earlier?]
dwntempo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:02 pm Reply with quote
You are correct, I believe (its been a while since I have read that volume) Rei was hurt during the activation test. Her injuries put her a such a disadvantage that the Angel easily defeated her and injured her more in the process

-dt-
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how often a new volume is released? I seem to remember hearing that the artist working on the manga (I can't remember his name) takes at least a year or more to finish a single volume. Do they have any release dates for 10 and 11, the last two volumes?
^ . ^

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I 've heard book 8 is supposed to be released in April. Don't carve what I just said in stone, but that's what I've heard. Book 9 might come out here sometime this year if we 're lucky.

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is the name of the artist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1