• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free TX Speed Racer screening from AICN May 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Priority to people with kids... at the Drafthouse?

I think I'll pass >_>
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Priority to people with kids... at the Drafthouse? I think I'll pass >_>

You don't have kids? Then why worry? I mean surely you must be too young to drive yourself to the draft house or to drink anyway. Everyone knows you're supposed to have at least one kid before you get your first drivers license and by the time you can drink you should have three or four of them. If you can't manage to pull off something as simple as replacing yourself with a half-dozen whiny and spoiled offspring then you've probably got much bigger problems than worrying about the priority list for a free movie.

Wink
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Have you been to the Drafthouse? Not the kind of place you'd want to go to when it's full of kids.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Have you been to the Drafthouse? Not the kind of place you'd want to go to when it's full of kids.

I've been to the Draft House in San Antonio, does that count? That was back when the Simpsons movie came out and we chose to go there so we could throw back some ice-cold Shiner Bock. I was in Austin the week before last Friday and wanted to visit Antone's. Unfortunately it was "sold out" and the ticket scalper wanted $60 to let us in. No thanks. I also tried to visit the Draft House up there, but it was already closed by the time we arrived. We ended up heading to some other random bars instead and watched the Spurs give the Suns another smack-down. Ouch! I was feeling sick that night thanks to some lobster bisque that didn't sit well with my stomach. As a result my drinking was reeled in to barely a trickle and I realized that bars aren't nearly as much fun when you're perfectly sober. Go figure. Eventually I was able to recover and managed to down three JW Black doubles just before last call. Then we made a trip to JBox on the way back to the Omni followed by eight hours of blissful pass-out sleep.

I woke up just before the final checkout cut-off, quickly showered up and headed out to find the Texas Memorial Museum. It was an interesting little museum on the UT Austin campus. They had someone sitting in the "Ask What our Volunteer is Doing" area so we asked him what he was up to. Turns out he was reading letters from right-wing religious conservatives and trying to figure out how to make the museum's shocking acceptance of evolution less "controversial" for folks who refuse to believe in such heresy. No joke. That's honestly what he had been tasked to do. To "correct" history so that it didn't annoy religious fanatics. Is this America or is this Iran? Honestly, what is the matter with this stupid country? The whole thing sounds like an impossible and utterly pointless endeavor in my view, but since this museum is run by Texans for Texans you have to make allowances for those who simply refuse to believe an ancient book can't explain everything there is to know about the meaning of life.

Afterward I visited with my mom & her boyfriend and had a stiff margarita and some canapés before sobering up with a vanilla Coke and heading on home. And what was the most memorable aspect of my trip to Austin? Why, the cabbies of course! No joke, your cabbies are far more entertaining than anything I’ve seen down here in the cradle of conservative mediocrity. An honorable mention award goes to the rail road crossing gate at the low water crossing , that was pretty ingenious and also reminded me of any number of animated gags stretching all the back to the earliest Bugs Bunny cartoons.

In any case while browsing the Draft House website I came across a couple potential gems in the rough...

Dainipponjin (BIG MAN JAPAN)
Quote:
"Daisato lives a mundane life in a rundown house tagged with insulting and obscenity-riddled graffiti. This middle-aged slacker seems a puzzling subject to be followed by the documentary crew that films his banal daily routine. That is, until he prepares for his “job.” As bolts of electricity rip through the sky, Daisato is transformed into a stocky giant several stories high, sporting tight purple briefs, tattoos and an Eraserhead-style hairdo. In his hand is a big stick – for beating the crap out of monsters. Welcome to the world of Dainipponjin (which translates as “BIG MAN JAPAN”), a sixth-generation superhero defending Japan from outlandish “baddies,” as Daisato calls them. These ridiculous villains include the freak with the comb-over hairdo who pulls down skyscrapers with elastic arms or the revolting beast that lets rip stink clouds equalling the smell of twenty thousand human feces. Surrounded by mystical tradition and ceremony, his predecessors were national champions feted with parades and cheering fans. Today, Daisato’s battles are broadcast late at night to diminishing ratings. He has become the scapegoat of New Japan, whose citizens bitterly complain about the noise and destruction of property he causes. Daisato has his own problems, including an agent insistent on branding him with sponsor advertisements, an Alzheimer-afflicted grandfather who transforms into a giant in dirty underwear and an ex-wife and daughter who are embarrassed by his often cowardly exploits. A wickedly deadpan spin on the pop image of giant Japanese superheroes like Ultraman, DAINIPPONJIN body slams with a stinging dry wit that ricochets to ever-higher levels of audacity. Director and star Hitoshi Matsumoto – one of Japan’s biggest comedians, on the same level as Takeshi Kitano – pulls off a whacked-out and imaginative filmmaking debut, yet still hits upon social issues like the loss of the “Japanese spirit,” the country’s diplomatic relations, the family unit and a rapidly aging population. DAINIPPONJIN is an outrageous portrait of a pathetic, but truly unique hero." - Colin Geddes

Crawford
Quote:
Just a short time before George W. Bush announced his intentions to run for the Presidency, the New Haven-born hopeful bought a ranch in tiny Crawford, Texas. From this suitably folksy pulpit, he engineered that down-home, aw-shucks presidential campaign persona that captivated/divided the nation, and then there were those hanging chads and...well, you know the rest. CRAWFORD follows, through the eyes of the town's citizenry themselves, the crazy arc that accompanied two subsequent presidential terms: the press corps filming the same appropriately rural hay bale over and over again, the proliferation of Bush souvenir shops, flocks of tourists, and, later, the arrival of Cindy Sheehan and 20,000 riled-up protesters. The film is an examination of what happens when a town of 705 is thrust into the spotlight, and the irrevocable growing pains that linger in town long after the fuss has died down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1