• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mysterious Plays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Every time I look at these collections I get insanely jealous and think "Why not me!!!???" but then I remember that there is absolutely no bringing any girls into a room like that without killing any and all chances you may have had. And before any female otaku here speak up saying they would love it, I mean attractive girls, and unfortunately, the majority of otaku girls are on the other side of that bar.

Not everyone can be as ridiculously attractive and studly as you. I heard this one story where you made like, 100 girls faint, just by walking into an anime convention!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

That was kinda mean! I remember a pics thread on ANN once and the vast majority of everyone male and female were at least passable.
It's funny you say woman are anti-collections because this was recently brought up in another thread. Though I would love the DVD collection, the half-naked figures would be a total turn off. Nothing wrong with toys but mini half-naked women is not going to endear you to many females, otaku or otherwise. But I am totally jealous of his DVD collection anyway.

I am a female who loves collecting stuff (figures, DVDs, manga, books, etc) but yeah the scantily dressed female action figures would be what turns me off not the number of figures (in fact I would think that was pretty cool).

But then again scantily dressed female figures is the main type of figures Japan seems to make unfortunately.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
BOT: I watched the first episode of Haruka when they were doing the free streaming of it on anime.dot.us. While it is better than the manga, you could use your renting or buying money to purchase about a million better things, such as a painful piercing or for someone to punch you in the face. They offer the same effect but then you don't have a crappy DVD laying around that you'll never be able to get rid of.

OUCH, that's harsh, but very entertaining. Nice to know that it is better than the manga, like most people seem to have said...not that it takes much. I'll stick with re-watching Fushigi Yuugi again.
ilkz

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
ilkz wrote:
I see girls star destroyer and speed racer...

In order to reach the top section, do you:

a. clamp up latter.
b. take the destroyer.
c. speed racer jump jet.
d. I am tall.

it's obviously
m. Peirce the heavens with his Drill

What exactly mean buy "Peirce the heavens with his Drill" ?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Aquarion (yet again) getting exactly what it deserves Twisted Evil . I can't think of any other series that made such a drastic change in my opinion over the course of a single DVD; I went from being convinced that I'd love it from the first episode to hating it to all hell by the fifth. If its supposed to be a parody like someone else said, then I'm guessing that its the anime equivalent to Scary Movie; in other words, not good.

And about the whole "girl" issue:
Any girl who would be turned away by my wallscrolls and DVD collection is no girl that I'd want anything to do with in the first place Wink . And no, I have no half-naked mini-girls or provacative posters Wink ...
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Decent collection, though the box between Azumanga Daioh and the Himes is driving me crazy ... looks familiar but just cannot place it. Must be the burning sensation from seeing a collection of size not alphabetized.

Too bad about Kujibiki Unbalance's review. Guess that drops it from "maybe" to "no thanks," certainly until I can get around to watching/reading Genshiken anyway. Shame, it would have been nice to support one MB actually bothered dubbing.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:
What exactly mean buy "Peirce the heavens with his Drill" ?

Gurren Lagann reference (they're pretty big fans of drills and heaven-piercing in the anime). Can never have too many Gurren Lagann references Very Happy
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Decent collection, though the box between Azumanga Daioh and the Himes is driving me crazy ... looks familiar but just cannot place it. Must be the burning sensation from seeing a collection of size not alphabetized.

It's Haibane Renmei.
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Dear Mr. Mays:
Can I move into your room please? Laughing
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ouch. I don't think Aquarion should get such a scalding review. The show doesn't introduce anything new or OMGWHOA, but the characters are distinct and interesting, the story is interesting, and the soundtrack is (in my opinion) the best in many, many years. If you watch the show to discover the meaning of life, you'll be disappointed, but if you watch the show in order to pass time, you'll enjoy it. At least, that's what I think. =3

Also, oh god, the art in the series is gorgeous. The artbook for it is my absolute favorite.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Many have said that Haruka is basically one big Fushigi Yuugi ripoff. This is completely untrue. For starters, the high school girl who fell into a mysterious world was the Priestess of Suzaku—the Phoenix God; clearly, Akane is the Priestess of the Dragon God. Miaka had seven warriors who protected her—Akane has eight. Miaka had brown hair, Akane's hair is chestnut; Miaka has huge, pretty eyes, Akane has huge, cross-eyed ones. So you see, no adequate comparison.

Sakura has 2 guardians & a few dozen cards as her protectors. She even has brown hair. Wow-Haruka must be ripping off CCS.
Wait! Saint Seiya!!!! Athena protected by 5 loyal knights-that number expands at times. OK, a couple of the Saints weren't bishonen, but most of the few dozen saints(108?) were very pretty
I didn't find the $17 I paid for the dvd to be a waste.

Quote:
So far, the story is as follows: Akane and her (male) buddies are on their way to school when she's summoned by a demon in another world. She wanders towards a well and is pulled in—along with her friends. When she gets there, a pretty boy guard discovers that she's the Priestess who will save their country from ruin. However, the demon wants her powers too, so she'll have to endure an epic struggle between evil and good to save the world…while fighting off plenty of bishonen along the way, I'm sure

A group of blue-eyed, blond haired "demons" from across the water have attacked the capital. (reminiscent of Larva's people in Vampire Princess Miyu) The lead demon Akram (Ryoutaro Okiayu. Mmm) locates the priestess he hopes will give him the power to turn the tide. Overall, so far it sounds as though the capital has sown the seed of their own disaster by shunning these outsioders. Perhaps later we'll learn they did something to invite the ill use, but at this point it sounds like one ethnic group persecuted by the main population for looking different.
Akane's friend Shimon (Kouki Miyata. Yeah! Cute voice!) looks like the demons & is whispered about by the servants of the palace as being a demon. Her other friend Tenma (Tomokazu Seki. Some have tried to compare Tenma to Tasuki/Fushigi Yugi, but I see more of another Seki character-Kyo/Fruits Basket.) was displaced so he had things a bit more rough (outsider like Kyo). He also has loved Akane for awhile, but never spoken up & now she's being dazzled by a hot foreigner. (Yuki vs Kyo)
The first dvd covers a lot of ground--we at least see most of the guardians even if they haven't been drafted yet.

You are so right.
Just like Fushigi Yugi

Haruka's release schedule is monthly.
I've already pre-ordered the entire series for about $17-$18 per dvd so I don't see a price change on the horizon.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Haruka's release schedule is monthly.
I've already pre-ordered the entire series for about $17-$18 per dvd so I don't see a price change on the horizon.

Where, pray tell, did you find such a good deal?

I also would like to spread more Aquarion love. Some of the comedy elements would come out of nowhere and make me laugh out loud quite a bit. I like the music, and I love the CG effects as well. I paid thirty-something for it at Best Buy, so that's probably one of the better places to buy it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
Around $18 sounds about right for preorder prices/

I preordered the first volume of True Tears (MSRP $30) for $18.62 at TRSI with membership, preorder price and membership coupon. The $40 Freedom and Shigofumi DVD went for $25.37 while I spent $25.92 on the $40 Gunbuster 2 volumes. I spent $32.40 and $33.74 for the two MS Igloo volumes which retail at $50 and $52.19 on the $80 Honneamise.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
I would like to respectfully disagree with the author and say that I believe Solty Rei is definitely shelf worthy. I went into the series expecting some generic sci-fi action, and got a really heartwarming story and absolutely lovable characters instead. Chris Sabat does some of his best work ever as Roy Revant, and the rest of the dub cast does a very solid job.

I was truly sad when the series was over. To me, that is the hallmark of a shelf worthy show.
angieness

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
So glad I'm a girl who has tons of anime/videogame figures haha normally guys are more like zomg that's awesome instead of "ew, we're never going to have sex like, ever" to us girls. I've dated my share of male anime fans who had scantily clad female figures all over the place and I was totally fine with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5