• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Image of Live-Action Dragonball's Goku Published

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Empathy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Emmy Rossum's playing Bulma? That will be kyoot, I guess Smile
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The best part about this movie is the hilarious wailing and moaning temper tantrum response it gets from anime fans.

Well, naturally. Dragonball's been like that for years. Anime smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:

Are they adapting Dragonball or DBZ? I'm a little confused...

It's an adaptation of whichever series it is that has the story arc wherein Goku is a seemingly normal high school student.

That's a good sign as to how faithful an adaptation of the source material it will br.

Though, yeah, I'm no Dragonball Z fan, but I know the Akira Toriyama manga is all "Dragonball", without any modifier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
KarmaRocketX wrote:
Angry whining about a movie

To be fair, the original costumes in Dragon Ball are really stupid. I know legions of fans have come to associate them with their favorite show, but they're really awful. Seriously, a bright orange jumpsuit? Some green dude with a turban and a tunic? These are terrible outfits.

To compensate, the costume designers for this movie have modernized them so that they don't suck. They went through 50 or so costume designs for Goku (and yes, several of those iterations *were* exactly like Toriyama's original), but eventually decided on one that would be comfortable, look cool, and look good on camera. And they chose hairstyles that were realistic and from, you know, this decade.

Although I personally like some of the costumes in the DB universe (especially Piccolo's) I have to agree that a lot of them, definitely Goku's for sure, really wouldn't look that great on film. I've stressed this enough before, comparing this to how the X-Men costumes were changed for the live action on-screen look because of how ridiculous it would have looked otherwise. Which honestly, speaking of which, if you'd seen a preview pic like this one for the movie version of X-Men, you wouldn't be very impressed, would you? And how did the X-Men movie turn out? Exactly. I personally think it looks just fine myself. In fact if anything, it looks like they're trying to allude to his clothes from the series in the first place, which is a very good thing in my book. I'm also liking the movie poster as well:

Mr. Green

The only problem I have with it so far are certain things within the speculated story. I really don't want to see Goku as a high school student. I really don't. That's just a TOTAL disservice to his character. Knowing him, he'd never be a high school student in the first place, would he? (If you know what I mean Wink ) And that's part of his character, that he's at times very naive to the outside world. Thing is, whether or not you like the original source material, there is a certain heart and atmosphere to the series that I feel needs to be captured in order to be a good adaptation. Yes, not a holy mecca or anything, you're right, but still...... And making him a high school student, especially the exact kind of high school student they seem to be working for from what I've heard, really goes against everything that makes Goku the great character he is and deserves to be portrayed as, that being a playful, mischievous, fun loving, yet very strong and determined hero. NOT a geeky underdog who gets picked on or whatever.

And even though I'm okay with the whole futuristic feel as well (since DB had quite a bit of that anyways, really being the whole point of Bulma's character in the first place) not only am I afraid that it's going to make Goku a "city kid" (the life of solitude he's lived out in the middle of nowhere for most of his life is also apart of what makes his character so great) but I'm also afraid that it'll take away from the fantasy/adventurous feel of the series as well (yes, even DBZ had this about it too, though not nearly as much as DB). And I'm also afraid that it'll be "our world" or something like that instead of being the world that Toriyama created for it, which is also something that'll take away from the original as well.

Basically, you could say that whether or not this movie will be good is a moot point for me. I'm going to go see it regardless, of course being a big DB fan myself and all, and probably will like it if it's good, no question, but also in being a big DB fan myself I'd prefer that this not be just a Dragonball movie in name, but in feel as well. If anything, it'll probably even be a better movie for it if it was. And I just don't think this would be a Dragonball movie in feel if it goes against the things I just mentioned.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

To compensate, the costume designers for this movie have modernized them so that they don't suck. They went through 50 or so costume designs for Goku (and yes, several of those iterations *were* exactly like Toriyama's original), but eventually decided on one that would be comfortable, look cool, and look good on camera. And they chose hairstyles that were realistic and from, you know, this decade.

Good point. While some hardcore DB fans would appreciate more, um, "accurate" costume designs, the filmmakers aren't putting the movie out for them alone. They also have to draw in moviegoers who may not be familiar with Dragonball. I highly doubt that the average joe would be excited to see this movie if the characters dressed as they do in the manga/anime. I can hear them now... "Why is everyone wearing pajamas and have hair that looks they just stuck a fork in a wall outlet?"

As much as I enjoy Dragonball, I can't keep a straight face whenever I think of how the characters would look if portrayed exactly as they appear in the manga. I have no real problem with Goku's appearance in the picture.
Yeah,same here I'll be there,first day.We just like giving these Serious posters shit. Shocked I love Dragonball,there is no way I could miss this(and they know this)but If people get out of hand and start a riot,I won't hold back.
Celes

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Well damn, I think he looks hot. This photo has done more to convince me to see this movie than anything else out there has so far.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Somebody call up Mike Nelson. I think we have a contender for Rifftrax of 2009.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Somebody call up Mike Nelson. I think we have a contender for Rifftrax of 2009.

yes of course clearly this movie that doesn't come out for a year is horribly bad based on this one grainy black and white photo
Roy 747

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I hope this turns out to be a joke. And I mean a complete joke.

I hope he has a part time job, has highschool drama with Chi-Chi, and is actually wearing EMO TIGHT JEANS in that picture. You know what it'd be sweet if this was set in the mid '90s. And Goku use a KAME-HAME-GLOCK 17 ATTACK. And the Dragon Balls end up being DRAGON GOD TESTICLES

Then this will be a joke, not a disgrace.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
In my own humble opinion, anything that doesn't make my eyes jump out of their sockets in protest is an upgrade over Toriyama's artwork. I still can't watch more than 30 seconds of DBZ without screaming in agony and mashing the remote. Razz That being said, I somewhat enjoyed the little I saw of the original Dragonball, so I'm mildly curious as to how this is going to turn out. A single preview picture is definitely far, far too little material to base any opinion on.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
yes of course clearly this movie that doesn't come out for a year is horribly bad based on this one grainy black and white photo

Doesn't mean it ain't gonna be Rifftrax worthy. Wink
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The best part about this movie is the hilarious wailing and moaning temper tantrum response it gets from anime fans.

Yeah.

Ugh...I think regardless of how crappy the movie looks, most people will still go out to see it.

Realistically, the picture is a good look. And hmm...yeah...he's hott. >.>;
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
To be fair, the original costumes in Dragon Ball are really stupid. I know legions of fans have come to associate them with their favorite show, but they're really awful. Seriously, a bright orange jumpsuit? Some green dude with a turban and a tunic? These are terrible outfits.[Snip]
That's fair and I understand how stupid most of it looks,but there is a method to Toriyama's madness.The orange gi is symbolic to Goku's alien name Kakarrot.Take that away and the series long carrot joke disappears.Piccolo's tunic is Namek auto garb,his weighted cloak and turban are what he came back with after the countless wars he wandered through.(after Dragonball) Smile

Put Goku in school and his innocence is no more.Take away his best friend and the achievement of Super Sayian is lost.I don't see anyone else besides Roshi,Bulma,Piccolo and ChiChi.Dragonball is a huge dish,(judging from the few pics were leaked) it looks like they took one bite and threw the rest away.I await the trailer. Cool

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Mon May 12, 2008 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The reason X-Men had those Matrix-ey outfits was it's a dramatic series. But Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man kept the original outfits, due to their respective original series comedic elements, so I don't see why the same can't be done for DB. Though my real issue isn't with the costumes, but the fact that, in spite of all that filming, the studio only has the pictures of the actors to show for itself. No storyboards or teaser art: just the logo. I know they're probably working through post right now, but the studio's emphasis on the cast over the look of the film makes me uneasy. Or maybe I'm just biased, because they've chosen to handle that Chun Li movie the same year, too, even though the hack behind the Doom movie is directing...
barashin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
To be fair, the original costumes in Dragon Ball are really stupid. I know legions of fans have come to associate them with their favorite show, but they're really awful. Seriously, a bright orange jumpsuit? Some green dude with a turban and a tunic? These are terrible outfits.[Snip]
That's fair and I understand how stupid most of it looks,but there is a method to Toriyama's madness.The orange gi is symbolic to Goku's alien name Kakarrot.Take that away and the series long carrot joke disappears.Piccolo's tunic is Namek auto garb,his weighted cloak and turban are what he came back with after the countless wars he wandered through.(after Dragonball) Smile
Laughing I didn't know goku's orange gi symbolized a carrot Laughing

...most people wouldn't care what that color of his gi symbolized either than it symbolizing goku being trained by Master Roshi...

Quote:
Put Goku in school and his innocence is no more.Take away his best friend and the achievement of Super Sayian is lost.I don't see anyone else besides Roshi,Bulma,Piccolo and ChiChi.Dragonball is a huge dish,(judging from the few pics were leaked) it looks like they took one bite and threw the rest away.I await the trailer. Cool

you sir and everyone that complained about this movie being oh so wrong have no sense of imagination whatsoever, though coming from a fan, such as myself, I fully understand what you're saying...but I can't say I feel the same way. I too await for the trailer, but I ain't expecting nothing more nothing less. Just an adaptation...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10