• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Live-Action Films?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texvindictive

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
How about Ghost in the Shell. Dreamworks (Spielberg) picked it up 2 weeks ago.
Here's a good write up to think about -
http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/104497/mmghostshell_feature.php
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Yeah. What ABOUT all those superhero movies. Have you read Spiderman comics? Do you know how good they are. Not very. The movies took the heart of a great fantasy concept and turned it into a Hollywood titan by staying true to the spirit of the work, but also IMPROVING upon it. They didn't just translate the comic book to the big screen like fanboy loyalists. That would have equalled "bad movie."

That was all I was trying to say, but you, not being a noob, probably already get that, so it doesn't matter.

You have brought up an interesting point in the whole "what can't we do these days" end of things. So I agree that most Shonen Jump properties could be done well, with the right director. (Although I wouldn't recommend Shyamalan for FMA, nooooo way. He'll have to prove himself through Avatar first, but until then give him Paranoia Agent to play with.) Wink

Actually I'm pretty protective with FMA. It is fathoms above my favorite anime of all time. It is fantastic. I just can't see a project of that depth and delicacy fitting into two hours or being played with much without shattering the perfection of the story's construction. Yeah, I said perfection. I'm just echoing with my point above when I say I wholeheartedly believe, "If something works, stick with it. Use it." But I also believe, "If something's already outstandingly close to perfection, what's the use in spending millions of dollars to reinterpret it? Just promote the original." I mean, why did Tim Burton remake Planet of the Apes? Look at what happened. It was a bad idea. Wink

You mentioned LOTR and Harry Potter. Yes, those works, unlike the comic book movies, were fabulous all on their own. But their big-screen counterparts...at least LOTR was, really can't vouch for Harry "the abridged" Potter movies...were really reinterpretations of the story. LOTR as a book was dark and detailed, but had a lot more breaks for parties at a pub and lighthearted interludes, as well as plotting that involved spending nearly an entire book with one group of characters, and then jumping to the next bunch in the next installment. Watch the movies, and it's clear how much work went into NOT making them just like the books...so they'd be enjoyable to watch rather than read, right?

Yeah, I have to apologize since I didn't really get the full grasp of what you were saying. I understand that if adapted entirely as is to the big screen, that normally doesn't work very well. Rather it's within the concept itself that I personally believe would adapt well to the big screen if done the right way. The same is true with all those movies I mentioned that already have been made as is for the ones within the realm of anime I'd like to see. I mean, even Fullmetal, while you're definitely right about how it's already that good, I believe is more within the realm of LOTR or Potter (I have to disagree with you about the Potter movies, but that's really just a matter of opinion anyways) where there are still ways in which to adapt the same basic story and plot and yet organize it in such a way that is more big screen friendly rather than anime series or manga friendly, just as you said about the other 2. Definitely not in just one movie though, I certainly agree with that, but the way I see it FMA seems like it'd be successful enough in the box office anyways, why not expect there to be any sequels?

I understand what your saying about your love for FMA though, as it's fairly similar on my all-time favorites list (it's actually #2 behind Naruto favorites-wise [emphasis on the favorites-wise part], but close enough, eh? Wink ). But in a way I think it's all in the way my parents seem to see the matter that I see it the way I do. My mom is to both LOTR and Potter coincidentally enough as I am to not just FMA, but to Shounen Jump as well. I mean, I swear she practically worships both. But she's also at the same time loving the movies every bit as much, just simply to see her all-time favorite storylines adapted to the big screen, even if not perfectly adapted to the way they were written in the books. That's the exact same way I see FMA.

I will say though that maybe Shamylan doesn't seem as fit for FMA as he would be with others, or at least not until after he proves himself with Avatar anyways. If he can do that one justice, you never know. Paranoia Agent, though I haven't seen more that 2 episodes of that one, seems like it'd be a series that'd be WAY more his thing, based on what he's already done. Wink I'm still putting Jackson up there though, but who knows, there's probably plenty of other movie directors out there that I don't know about. Anime smile + sweatdrop

BTW: I'll be dying to see your Trigun movie someday. Cool That one's at least up in my top 25 favorites anyways.
lordwindowlicker

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
lordwindowlicker wrote:
I have no need, and no desire to prove a single thing to you. Either way, how can one "prove" and opinion? (rolls eyes)

Well, with this remark, you have proven something. That you are biased based on speculation, and your statement really has no meaning and will therefore have a less meaningful effect on people who are looking into the movie, specifically because you are not backing up your claim. People tend to be a lot more respectful when you prove yourself to be resourceful.

I am biased because what I've seen of the new Dragonball movie looks dreadful?
how DARE I have an opinion of my own, and because I have stated an opinion that differs from yours... I've obviously insulted your mother and or sexuality somehow.

Grow a life please.

(Edit) Okay, let me explain it to you this way. I am NOT a fan of any English adaptation of Toriyama's Dragonball.. Manga, Anime, or otherwise. That being said, I'm not going to turn this into a dub vs sub Dragonball argument. From what I can see, this version does little or nothing to give any sort of love to the fans of the original Manga or Anime.... Son-Goku looks like a WB sitcom reject for christ sake.

I've done nothing so far but state my opinion, and like I said... you cannot prove an opinion, just back it up. I do NOT like the direction the film is going, and I am entitled to that opinion. I am entitled to STATE that opinion. Do you COMPREHEND what I am saying to you?
You may go see it and love every second of it, I will avoid it like the plague. To each his own.

Stop talking other people's opinions as a direct attack... you'll live longer.
hazel_green

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:08 am Reply with quote
I don't know which i'd pick. sometimes i feel that its just better for anime to remain as anime. haha. but live action movies like Death Note? they rock. Very Happy i've yet to watch the live-action movie of Grave of the Fireflies, but i've heard its good too.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Saikano, despite its "hard-to-watch" factor, would transfer well to live-action. Kind of like "AI," except actually good, yeah, that could work.

Well, it did have a movie release in Japan, so not exactly Hollywood, but a Liva-Action DOES exist. I thought it was pretty good actually Smile You could even say I liked it better than the series itself (which I was unhappy with for a number of reasons).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Well, it did have a movie release in Japan, so not exactly Hollywood, but a Liva-Action DOES exist.

Thanks for informing me. At last a live-action film which I might actually want to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Thanks for informing me. At last a live-action film which I might actually want to watch.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84kpcGM0mZM

Although... I love how they didn't know what the characters names were when they subbed it^^ Shuu=Lieutenant and Chise=Sei.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who constantly try to think of anime that would make good live action movies, if done right, of course. As a fan of Vampire Knight, I agree with Ishmoo. But I think it would make a better tv series than movie. However, the one live action movie I definitely would want to see is a Hellsing movie. Now that would rock! Very Happy
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Rurouni Kenshin adapted into a live-action series. I'd even audition for it.

Maybe it's just me, but there have been a lot of live-action action movies made in Japan, so hopefully it'd work out well.

Hunter x Hunter might work if they turned it into a game show a la Takeshi's Castle.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
MY top 5 would be (also note that i have no problem with some of them having more than one film):

1) Berserk. With the hit 300 became, i have no doubt that Hollywood can pull this one of.

2) Hellsing. Underworld anyone? it have all the ingredients for a great action flick ( sexy vampires and werewolves, big guns and more action than you can shake a stake at).

3) Black Lagoon. They seriously doesn't even have to try that much to make this good. It is a homemage to hollywood blockbuster action-flicks in itself.

4) Vampire Hunter D. Vampires+fantasy+sci-fi= MONEY Twisted Evil

5) Claymore. It can be everything Red Sonja and Xena wanted to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2