• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-05-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quote
Kyotoblip, man, Kyotoblip. Smile
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:
I hope from my deepest heart: this is a joke. I hope from my deepest heart that people who what to become an manga artist are not like that. But occurring to last issue on the how to draws, I am little worried. Any company published that kind thing will lose its reputation more than $2.19/issue. Any way, the only thing I am sure of = I will never buy that crap. Seriously, I will throw it in fire if its free.

Here I have a better idea to fulfill one's dream of becoming manga artist. In Japan, earliest adaption are mass produced cheep magazines like a telephone book, only those greatest pieces have a chance to re-master and reprint in the dedicated format (classic manga book) or even have a chance to be made in to anime series. How about we start at web comic first, and then base on the reader's rating and serious review like ANN, select a few good ones and make them into ... what ever better ...

I agree with your statements. Does TokyoPop publishing any cheap magazines right now? Viz only produces Japanese imports in cheap magazine format of Shonen Jump.

What I don't like about American manga is that most artists are too focused on subculture materials that only caters to specific hardcore fans. Notably Anime/Manga & Sci-fi/Fantasy fans. Personally I prefer manga from authors who does research on people with all walks of life. Like that manga about wine tasting and a manga about wheelchair basketball players.
Story-wise, a good manga should have right flow of ideas. For example, if an artist drew a manga about skateboarding with well developed characters and tight story line, it'll hook in anyone.

Another complaint I have on American manga is that majority of every hopeful artists waste too much time trying to be in Japanese stylization rather than developing technical proficiency. Technical proficiency as in all those basic visual art knowledge. I'm not expecting new American manga artist to draw like a popular Japanese artist, but he or she should draw right and present clear images with good continuity to readers.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
You know, I bet if there was an earth ninja in there Mike would have made more money. XP
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
An accurate assessment of OEL.

And yet, ANNina is an OEL. Thus proving there are good, competent OEL's by making you laugh about the stereotype of a bad one Anime smile [Though mind you, I think the OEL term'll die out at some point. I'm rooting for Mindy Comic myself... manga+indy!]

As to how Mike got published, maybe he took more of a parody angle?

Uh, no... ANNina is a webcomic.

Until such time as it is put into a book form of some sort and sold for money, I don't think you could call it OEL anything. Just because it's TOPIC is anime and manga and the drawing style uses the many of the standard tropes from anime and manga (primarily to reinforce the satire, in my opinion), doesn't make it anything like the OEL manga that's published by tokyopop and others.

Now, if some publisher decides to collect ANNina into volumes and sell it... then maybe you have a case to make, but even then I'd say it'd be more akin to the collections of snoopy than to what's commonly called OEL manga. Just people the topic is anime and manga doesn't make it manga.

To me, I'd define OEL manga as any book published by a publishing company (or branch thereof) that primarily publishes manga which was originally written in english. And I suppose also anyone who calls their own work OEL Manga probably would count, too. But I don't think ANNina believes itself to be anything but a funny webcomic about anime and anime fans.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
bahahahahahahahaha! Laughing genius!
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Apparently Kyotoblip's standards on what they publish are even lower than Tokyopop! Rolling Eyes And that's saying something because Tokyopop will publish just about anything w/big-eyed characters these days.

I feel like Nina on "New-manga-in-stock Day", but I visit the manga section hoping for new manga even when it's not "New-manga-in-stock Day". Even when I know release dates for books, I start stalking the book stores a couple of weeks in advanced. You never know when you can pull something off the cart before they've shelfed it!
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
i laughed hard at work when seeing this, yea Tokyopop will publish anything now
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
Sakuya Masaki wrote:
Even when I know release dates for books, I start stalking the book stores a couple of weeks in advanced. You never know when you can pull something off the cart before they've shelfed it!

I do the same thing! I often can get the new volumes of Naruto at least a week before the actual release dates because of the nice people at Barnes and Noble shelving it early for us. Laughing
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Kyotoblip, man, Kyotoblip. Smile

Yes. That's all I was gonna say. Very Happy

Kyotoblimp flows better, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eviltimes

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Speechless !!!

LMAO !!!
miggie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Next Week on Anime News Nina Legend of the Fire, Water, Sky Ninjas the anime! Wink
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
quote="Paploo"]

And yet, ANNina is an OEL.[/quote]
samuelp wrote:
[
Uh, no... ANNina is a webcomic.

ANNina is an OEL webcomic. There's no denying that the art style puts it into the OEL category.

I don't think Robin is ripping on OEL's / Worldmanga here, she's ripping on the OEL industry.

-t
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Good comic.

The first three panels made me think of Yotsuba. "You don't have to tell everyone". Classic.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Actually, this is a lie. Apparently OEL mangaka don't get royalty checks because the books don't even make enough to pay back the advances.

I WISH I WAS LYING.

Quote:
i laughed hard at work when seeing this, yea Tokyopop will publish anything now

I'm getting published in Tokyopop's RSOM 8.

I'm an 18 year old college freshman who has never taken a formal art class and has no real understanding of even basic anatomy.

Therefore, I agree with your statement 200%.

Quote:
There's no denying that the art style puts it into the OEL category

Big eyes, yes. Distinctly Japanese panelling and rendering and all that jazz? I dunno. It's not much different than American Sunday funnies.

But apparently OEL advocates state that the sole determinant of whether something is manga or not is whether the artist declares it as such, so =/
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. $2.19?! on't quit your day job there. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4