• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vex Machina

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevek504

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
I'm always happy to see someone else besides me use the Oxford comma.

Bah to you. Those extra commas will come back to haunt you.
That's proper Queen's English for you. It's what I was taught. Wink

I think Bamboo Dong likes to "stir the pot". Yes, the use of the Oxford comma makes perfect sense. But a lot of people just don't understand, are reluctant to change, or just don't care about it. Oxford comma usage has got to be the most contentious issue facing mankind today! What else can define an advanced civilization so perfectly? And yet, whenever I bring up this issue in a conversation - people just walk away. Shocked

A lot in this weeks Shelf Obsessed. It really has something for everyone. Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
And yet, whenever I bring up this issue in a conversation - people just walk away. Shocked
(walks away) Arrow
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

I think Bamboo Dong likes to "stir the pot". Yes, the use of the Oxford comma makes perfect sense. But a lot of people just don't understand, are reluctant to change, or just don't care about it. Oxford comma usage has got to be the most contentious issue facing mankind today! What else can define an advanced civilization so perfectly? And yet, whenever I bring up this issue in a conversation - people just walk away. Shocked

A lot in this weeks Shelf Obsessed. It really has something for everyone. Very Happy

The Oxford comma always made more sense to me. The only reason I wouldn't use it in a list is if the last two objects were part of a combination, like "peanut butter and jelly". Otherwise, I put commas between each item in order to indicate that they are all separate individuals.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:

The Oxford comma always made more sense to me. The only reason I wouldn't use it in a list is if the last two objects were part of a combination, like "peanut butter and jelly". Otherwise, I put commas between each item in order to indicate that they are all separate individuals.

Exactly! And that's why the Oxford comma is so necessary. It eliminates so much confusion! Plus it just looks nicer. I believe some of my colleagues at ANN and PA are against the Oxford comma, but to each his/her own. We users know that our way is best.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Proper way would be peanut butter with jelly, but both are acceptable, and common. BTW, what you call "jelly" we call "jam", and what we call "jelly", you commonly call "jello". So when one says "peanut butter, and jelly", I picture a very squishy mess. Laughing
RoseWhip

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Shinoga's VG-Cats poster = win.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Ex Machina wasn't supposed to be a sequel; it was supposed to be a "the first film wasn't that great and the animation looked like crap, let's start over and fix some of the things we did wrong" movie, hence why a lot of the characters looked completely different. Also, the total overhaul of voices in the dub is due to the fact that the first one was licensed by Geneon and dubbed by Animaze/the ZRO Limit crew, and Ex Machina was licensed by Warner Bros. and given a vastly inferior ADV dub.

Are you sure? Because there was obvious repairwork being done to structures damaged in the last movie. If that is the case then I'm even more bummed because, frankly, I enjoyed the first movie more. It had a better story to it, and the characters felt more fleshed out and dynamic. Ex Machina gave me kind of a Advent Children vibe, all flash with just enough story to tie it all together. Heck, the movie opens with action, and then goes through a very short transition to yet more action. I'm all for action, but come on, move things forward a little bit before you throw more over the top sequences at the audience. Especially if it's meant as a standalone, as you say. I dug around a bit and nothing I've read indicates that this is anything other than a sequel though.

The dub from the first movie was really quite good, and while I didn't find the dub for this one to be particularly bad; they didn't seem to even try to match the voices from the first one. If they must recast then so be it, but at least try to make it at least similar to the first one. Even the sub acting didn't sound the same. Even when the actors were the same the way it was acted just didn't seem to match up.

Anyways, don't take my critical response as me disliking the movie. I did enjoy it, I just only see it as average where as I would put the first movie above that. Of course, I wouldn't rank either of them as anything amazing, but I liked the first film far more. I'd like to see an updated version of the OAV though, as that was actually the first anime I ever bought an official copy of back in the VHS days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
When the doves flew past john woo's credits at the beginning of ex machina, and I didn't stop until the first fight finished.

I can just imagine the thinking: hey, Briarios has more than two arms! that means, I can show him diving sideways and shooting more than two guns!.

Not a bad film, but if you take it seriously [dude, why does your medical equipment manufactory plans include killbots?] you're doomed.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Ex Machina wasn't supposed to be a sequel; it was supposed to be a "the first film wasn't that great and the animation looked like crap, let's start over and fix some of the things we did wrong" movie, hence why a lot of the characters looked completely different. Also, the total overhaul of voices in the dub is due to the fact that the first one was licensed by Geneon and dubbed by Animaze/the ZRO Limit crew, and Ex Machina was licensed by Warner Bros. and given a vastly inferior ADV dub.

Are you sure? Because there was obvious repairwork being done to structures damaged in the last movie. If that is the case then I'm even more bummed because, frankly, I enjoyed the first movie more. It had a better story to it, and the characters felt more fleshed out and dynamic. Ex Machina gave me kind of a Advent Children vibe, all flash with just enough story to tie it all together. Heck, the movie opens with action, and then goes through a very short transition to yet more action. I'm all for action, but come on, move things forward a little bit before you throw more over the top sequences at the audience. Especially if it's meant as a standalone, as you say. I dug around a bit and nothing I've read indicates that this is anything other than a sequel though.

It was meant to be a standalone to the people who hadn't seen the first movie, like Big Hed said, but the people who had seen the first movie could interpret it as a sequel. The construction work in Olympus could either be because spoiler[it got smashed to hell in the first movie] or because the expository speech at the beginning was vague about the time scale of everything, so the new audience could assume that Olympus was still being built.

While the first movie definitely had more going on as far as underlying motives/story/etc. , I must say I did like the improved dynamic between Deunan and Briareos in Ex Machina, although they're still not as awesome as they are in the manga. There's still too much angst and not enough snarky playfulness between them, but hopefully the casting of Paku Romi as Deunan in Genesis will rectify that the next time out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Keonyn about Appleseed 2 being a disappointment.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, is anyone aside from me just not interested in Vexille? I've heard the basic premise, and, well, it just does not... "speak" to me. Am I alone in feeling that way? Of course, there were elements of Animatrix I disliked for essentially the same reasons... I guess I am just an optimist at heart. So maybe I am alone that way? Embarassed

Otherwise, the reviews seem as no surprise to me, I have to agree with them.

Oh, and, MOST style guides require the Oxford comma and I have to agree with its use. Laughing
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is anyone aside from me just not interested in Vexille? I've heard the basic premise, and, well, it just does not... "speak" to me. Am I alone in feeling that way? Of course, there were elements of Animatrix I disliked for essentially the same reasons... I guess I am just an optimist at heart. So maybe I am alone that way? Embarassed

Nope. I saw the blurb on the promo for the DC screening and thought "not good enough to only work an 8 hour day over."

SakechanBD wrote:
Great Rumbler wrote:

Exactly! And that's why the Oxford comma is so necessary. It eliminates so much confusion! Plus it just looks nicer. I believe some of my colleagues at ANN and PA are against the Oxford comma, but to each his/her own. We users know that our way is best.

Technically they are correct, as dropping the final comma from a list is the propper style for publishing/newsprint. Though personally I find myself alternating back and forth between the two on whim (hedging toward drop if the last two are linked.)

I liked Shingoa's collection for the simple joy of it containing mostly titles I don't collect. However, I am insanely jealous of blue8e's available wall space. Similarly for Johnathan's, but will reserve it after reading his comments that portrays the pictures as showing more space than there really is.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little disappointed in the somewhat lackluster review of Vexille. I don't know that I'm all that surprised though. It still definitely sounds worth seeing though.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Proper way would be peanut butter with jelly, but both are acceptable, and common. BTW, what you call "jelly" we call "jam", and what we call "jelly", you commonly call "jello". So when one says "peanut butter, and jelly", I picture a very squishy mess. Laughing

Actually, we also most commonly refer to it as jam. I think jelly was originally the proper term though hence the reason it's called peanut butter & jelly. Also, though we most commonly call the other stuff jello, it isn't really the proper term either. It's just a common brand name that was adopted as a general term like Kleenex. I think gelatin would be the proper term maybe. Then again, maybe this is just how it where I live and not in other parts of North America.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

I never even knew it was called the Oxford comma. That's just the way I learned comma usage back in the day. In fact I had to train myself not to use it in Spanish.
Kotatsu

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote
Well I suppose being comma happy is better then trigger happy eh. Wink

Not much this week I am interested in seeing but it does remind me.. the other week I was in a local Asian specialty store *cough bodgy Singaporean goods* (I once asked the lady there, 'Do you know where the DVD's, some complete sets not even released in Japan yet, are imported from?' and she was so like 'Ah, me no speak English..' Rolling Eyes hmmn anyway, nice cheap posters) in Chinatown and they had a copy of Appleseed: Ex Machina playing and it looked pretty cool; so I got my fix standing there for 20 mins or so watching, while pretending to be interested in some Gundam figures and ecchi statues.

Bamboo wrote:
Japan is a little butthurt by this

That priceless description made the whole review worth reading however. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3