• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jojo's Anime, Manga Sales Halted Due to Islamic Images

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Censoring the images, with the exception of the Koran text in the anime, seems very wrong to me. I think the Koran text could be removed and replaced with something else simply because, if what the company says is true, it was chosen only because it looked like it was from the Arabic world. Therefore there is no meaning to it beyond it's cool looking letters, which could be gotten from somewhere else that isn't a sacred text for millions. The other imagery I see no problem with as the shape of buildings really has nothing to do with the shape of one's faith. (At least, I don't think the Koran included blueprints for the one way of making a mosque that's holy.)

Wow, I completely missed the fact that Shueisha and A.P.P.P. are planning to remove the the building scenery in future editions. In light of that I agree with what you've said, Richard J.. The decision to remove the presence of text extracts from the Qu'ran I can understand, but buildings that resemble mosques? Please. Christian churches have been used as the site of ficticious conflicts more times that can be counted, in the past.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

But what I do NOT like is the following:

Quote:
They specifically noted that both versions depicted "buildings that look like mosques" in fight scenes. After halting shipments of the anime and manga to ensure both versions "will no longer contain these improper scenes," the companies also said that they "will not make new copies without correcting these problems."

That just seems way overboard to me. The idea that simply having a building that looks like a mosque in the background during a fight can be considered an "improper scene" is annoying, to put it mildly. Or at least I find it so.

Yes, I agree.
Some more information to consider:
Muslims murdered Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of [url=The Satanic Verses]The Satanic Verses[/url]. Because of this, Japanese publishers are scared to death of any Muslim complaints and will bend over backwards to appease them.

Go Nagai's manga "Allah-kun" has been out of print for years because of similar protests.
evalover1987

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Abdul, one of the main characters in Part 3, was Muslim and a GOOD GUY who sacrificed his life to save his friend. I think catholics should be more offended than Muslims since Part 6 of Jojo is about fighting against an evil catholic priest who's trying to eff up the world, and guess what? the priest holds the Bible in his hands throughout the part 6 of Jojo.
boznia

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Like some of the previous comments, I think replacing the Qur'an text makes sense, but the removal of mosques is too much. According to the letter, the Qur'an text didn't have a purpose other than to reinforce that the scene is taking place in the "Arabic world", so another Arabic text could have been used to convey the same meaning. On the other hand, I don't agree on the removal of mosques. If you want to illustrate a small town in New England, you can expect to see a church with a high pointed spire. In that same vein, if you want to illustrate a town in the "Arabic world", you can expect to see a mosque.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
boznia wrote:
Like some of the previous comments, I think replacing the Qur'an text makes sense, but the removal of mosques is too much... If you want to illustrate a small town in New England, you can expect to see a church with a high pointed spire. In that same vein, if you want to illustrate a town in the "Arabic world", you can expect to see a mosque.

Yes. IIRC, Hirohiko Araki went to Egypt to get the Middle Eastern setting look correctly. Those mosques probaly really exist.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
Man...I'm sick of this shit, rest of the world need to man up and stop lettin' a handful of psychos mad dog them out of doing whatever the hell they wanna do. You know why they doin this NOW? Cause they don't want none of that extremist stuff in Japan, they SCARED! It's pathetic!

*removed from original post by Keonyn~Zalis*

...But yeah Jojo's some crazy shit.

Tough "fighting" words, but say this to Viz Media? This is just a comic and anime show, nothing that you wanted to be arrested for.

Who knows, maybe Viz Media is reading this article and are ofended by some of the comments and decide to delay new volumes of this series?

It's just mad dogging censorship, which is the worst kind, can't stand that nonsense.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is the stupidest thing I have heard all week. Can you imagine all the changes if all Japanese manga and anime that depict Christian's in a less than favorable light. Rolling Eyes

Let's see what the basic inversion is:
Sheikh Abdul Hamid Al-Atrash, chairman of the Fatwa Committee at Cairo's Al-Azhar University wrote:
The scene depicts Muslims as terrorists.

Because we all know that there aren't any terrorists that read the Qur'an(القرآن). They just don't do things like that. And certainly none of them are Muslim(موسليم). Rolling Eyes

Hell while we're at it, let's just say that no Christian's are terrorists, all Jews are Saints, and that Buddhist's never commit crimes. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Hell while we're at it, let's just say that no Christian's are terrorists, all Jews are Saints, and that Buddhist's never commit crimes. Rolling Eyes

Sadly, I've known a few people who do believe that. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
You know what I've learned from all this? We need more Muslim characters in manga. Anime smile

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
You know, Dio's a vampire. Maybe the poor guy wanted to read a religious text, but the Christian Bible simply burned his hands too much.

It's really stupid to expect entirely different culture to respect yours enough to not do something to offend you.

Last edited by Avatar of Justice on Thu May 22, 2008 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
You know what I've learned from all this? We need more Muslim characters in manga. Anime smile

That's just adding fuel to the flame
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
That's just adding fuel to the flame

Nah. See, I'm a Muslim and an Anime Fan -- you know, for those of you who haven't been reading this forum. Rolling Eyes

As I stated before, Muslim characters are fine, it's just that writers need to write them as characters first and Muslims second, so to speak.

It works with every ethnicity/religion. Everyone gets offended by media stereotypes. And whenever there are black/Jewish/Chinese/martian characters in comics, they always have to pander to the lowest common denominator (the black man adds "yo" to everything, the Jew is counting change, the Chinese is eating noodles, and the martian has antennae).

Not only is that offensive it's also kinda...boring.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This is total bullcrap. This isn't about Islam. This is about religious fundamentalists taking things out of context and getting on a high horse. This is dumber than the 'Christians' who complain about Harry Potter.

First, Dio isn't Muslim as far as I know. He was in Cairo, an Islamic city. He picks up a book and it is the Koran. He might even have broken into a mosque or the house of a devout Muslim. He's a villian. He does that. Can you imagine some villain holding a Bible or the Torah and Christians and Jews complaining about it? C'mon. This professor is giving his people a bad name.

Actually, Abdoul, one of the good guys is likely Muslim as he's from that area, Cairo. Double checking, his name is Mohammed Avdol. So, one of the good guys of the book is clearly Muslim! And this small group of idiots are complaining about one scene out of context. They're simply wrong in their assumption and totally miss one of the best friends of the hero is Muslim. The professor, from Cairo himself, ignores that a Muslim character from Cairo is one of the heroes of the same book. Instead he takes a scene out of context to serve his own goal of looking persecuted.

I understand how he can be oversensitive. Hell, I just heard a report about Iraq and the press is name dropping the blanket term 'terrorist'. Go after that crap and leave this superhero comic book alone. Go after media like 24 instead of this innocuous reference.

People who complain about this stuff are looking for attention in an attempt to look persecuted. Another possibility, more so on the Harry Potter thing, their faith isn't strong enough to take other points of view and mythology.

Hell, I'm Christian. If I started complaining about every Christian symbol and character used wrongly in anime and manga, half my selves would be empty. Chrono Crusade, Trigun, Hellsing, Evangelion, Berserk, Death Note, Cross. How many of these toss around Christian symbols without half a clue what they mean?

Maybe Japan has a problem respecting or simply understanding religions, but I think the bigger problem is these religions being offended. Instead of trying to teach things proper, they call for censorship or banning books. They are way too easy to offend and prefer a close minded approach.

Yes, the Japanese can be xenophobic dicks. Yet the response should not be becoming even bigger xenophobic dicks.

And it's not like every Musilm or ever Christian agrees on this stuff anyway. Be very careful when someone pops out of the woodwork and start talking for an entire faith. As a Christian, for example, Pat Roberson does not speak for me. I find his views to be very UN-Christian, no matter what he calls himself.

Actually, we already had some crap like this with Full Metal Alchemist. Viz became spineless and censored a scene in fear of offending conservative Christians. You know, just ignore characters are named after the seven deadly sins. I don't think any are still reading up to Vol 8 (where the edit of a cross looking rock occurred).

Why do we allow ourselves to be bullied by fear of offending people? I'm sick of it. Hey. This is your faith. Don't bully it onto other people. Live your faith and show people the good of it. Don't use it to oppress the speech of others. Not testing your faith with things that you find offensive is a sure sign of your own weak faith.

Last edited by The Xenos on Thu May 22, 2008 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Jaice wrote:
we all better stop living, we might offend someone.

That kind of sums up my feeling, I'm strongly against blatant racism and such, but this is a joke. When will people stop taking this kind of shit, I mean what's wrong with depicting a fictional bad guy reading (while vowing to kill) Qur'an or the bible or anything, hell they're ain't anything wrong with a fictional character masturbating over the Qur'an while reciting his "My Mein Kampf" if you ask me (well, as long as the author ain't saying to do this, but you get what I mean). Ok, I need to calm down, but I had enough with those kind of accommodations for today (well, it's all rage right now in Québec with those kind of issues, we're losing our identity because of few angry members of minorities and we ain't even fighting back, pitiful).
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:

Actually, while I haven't read it myself, a couple of people have commented that ironically enough, one of the characters in JoJo's is a Muslim, and he's a good guy.

EDIT: One more thing:

The Xenos wrote:
Actually, we already had some crap like this with Full Metal Alchemist. Viz became spineless and censored a scene in fear of offending conservative Christians. You know, just ignore characters are named after the seven deadly sins. I don't think any are still reading up to Vol 8 (where the edit of a cross looking rock occurred).

Yah, I always thought that particular edit pretty hilarious, because it seems like anybody likely to be offended by the cross would almost certainly have stopped reading the manga long before getting to that point. FMA has a fair amount of anti-religious tones to parts of it (though not as much as the anime), so censoring that cross was nothing.

But unfortunately, there are actually a lot of manga edits done in the US, and a good chunk of them don't really make any sense, at least to me.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Thu May 22, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8