• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jojo's Anime, Manga Sales Halted Due to Islamic Images

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Pardon my observation, but so far I've heard no complaints about anime characters eating pork on-screen...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
JohnathanEnder wrote:
You know what I've learned from all this? We need more Muslim characters in manga. Anime smile

Actually, while I haven't read it myself, a couple of people have commented that ironically enough, one of the characters in JoJo's is a Muslim, and he's a good guy.

Yeah. Actually, making this funnier, that character shares a same name as the character. Sheikh Abdul Hamid Al-Atrash should realize one of the characters, a hero in the book, is also named Abdul / Avdoul. He's also from Cairo too.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
Hrm. I'm a Muslim. I like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I don't think I was offended.

It's stuff like this though that makes me shake my head at both sides. I don't see any reason why other Muslims should get upset (most of them would have probably taken it the same way I did). But at the same time, I wish that other mediums wouldn't look at Muslims as "just plain rabble" and more like actual people.

Ah well.

Besides, there's no sense in complaining over spilled milk.

I share your thoughts. I watched the Jojo anime couple of times and this scene never offended me in any way (i am a Muslem too)...i was really shocked when i've read that article Shocked

It seems to me that there are some people who probably have nothing else in their life but to try to create issues & problems out of nothing or small matters just to get some attention (mostly those so called Religious groups).

I recall couple of years ago, Pokemon was banned in couple of Muslim countries over a very small issue, which wasn't even correct.

What was it ? simply 1 of those so called Islamic justice protectors decided to ban the Pokemon since it was a peak and it killed them that people & their families were enjoying this nice & cute family show, the licensor was making some decent cash of it (which they deserve). They made up incorrect translations for all the Pokemon names to make them sound as if they're anti-islamic ones. Sadly, they managed to succeed in that even though the majority of people didn't believe or even know or understand what was really going on.

The bottom-line, anime & manga and their fans will be better off without such people (Muslims or others) sticking their noses in what they don't even understand. If they want to get more attention leave anime & manga to it's fans know appreciates it & understand it better !
the_ferret

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

But what I do NOT like is the following:

Quote:
They specifically noted that both versions depicted "buildings that look like mosques" in fight scenes. After halting shipments of the anime and manga to ensure both versions "will no longer contain these improper scenes," the companies also said that they "will not make new copies without correcting these problems."

That just seems way overboard to me. The idea that simply having a building that looks like a mosque in the background during a fight can be considered an "improper scene" is annoying, to put it mildly. Or at least I find it so.

Yes, I agree.
Some more information to consider:
Muslims murdered Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of [url=The Satanic Verses]The Satanic Verses[/url]. Because of this, Japanese publishers are scared to death of any Muslim complaints and will bend over backwards to appease them.

Go Nagai's manga "Allah-kun" has been out of print for years because of similar protests.

This is what bugs me. The popular cases of censorship of Islamic imagery lately seem to be more due to actual fear rather than genuine understanding. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same. That kind of thuggery does the image of Muslims a far greater disservice than any comic panel or TV show ever will.

JoJo is a great manga and I hope this doesn't effect its publication in any significant way.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord:
Quote:
How many Bible-quoting villains have there been in Hollywood/comics?? Too many to count. You don't see Christians throwing a hissy fit over such nonsense.

Are you kidding me? They canceled that Reagan movie and forced Kevin Smith to release Dogma through a different distributor. Plus they've tried to ban Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code and Golden Compass plenty of times.

Quote:
however at least they don't start riots and threaten death when something happens they don't like.

No, they just send death threats to Kevin Smith and burn Pikachu toys...

Astronerd:
Quote:
No offense is meant to JohnathanEnder by this, but I swear, it seems so many Muslim groups are offended at the least little nothings.

It's kind of tough for them not to be, when we're occupying their countries...

Quote:
What sickens me is how if a Muslim artist depicted someone wiping their rear with a Bible, that's fine because the Bible isn't the holy scriptures for them. However if ANYONE dares even think about the Qur'an in a negative way, it is a complete outrage and heads could very literally role if the offended aren't appeased.

Of course, I've never seen Muslims "soil" the Bible; but we flushed a Quran down the toilet, and also used one for target practice.

connari:
Quote:
all the time that have 'negative' takes on Jesus, churches, God, Christianity, pastors/priests, Catholicism, etc.

The only negativity I've seen is from bigots like Falwell who are never forced to apologize, and only do so, because they want to keep raking in the money.

Dmon:
Quote:
In "Angel Sanctuary" they have angels portrated as evil, a non-existing God, and canibalism as the means angels reproduce, and I don't remember the cristians whinig and bitching about it.

Angels ain't sacred to Christians. If it made fun of Jesus, it'd be a different story.

Conan:
Quote:
It's the same nonsence that forbids South Park from showing Muhamad in a possitve light but is perfectly ok with them showing a scene with George Bush and Jesus defecating over the US Flag

South Park doesn't really take sides.

Mojo:
Quote:
I'm a catholic and if we can learn to put up with the crap the media throws at us, then Muslims should too.

Should they put up with the crap against them from Benedict, too?

Cloak:
Quote:
Though the fact that the author would give someone that name (although I believe it is a reference to Paula Abdul) may show a lack of attention/care about accurately representing a culture,

It has more to do with it being a music-themed series.

Hed:
Quote:
In fact, even if the true intentions of the author had been what was reflected in the original image, does that individual not have a right to freedom of expression?

Yes, but not on Shueisha's dime.

Dargon:
Quote:
Because we all know that there aren't any terrorists that read the Qur'an(القرآن).

A terrorist used the Bible as an excuse to invade Iraq... Rolling Eyes
REDOG

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
The hell with them. Not that we jews don't get offended easily. But, it is their tradition. This is how they were acting most of the history since the end of their golden age in the early middle ages. If you say something about me i will take it to depth of my heart and kill you in an act of rage. this is their mentality. Post- medieval mentality. and that's what the muslim masses do today, kill everyone they can kill and don't like. But i don't see why all the world should fall on his knees on every tidbit of them getting heart.

To the muslim that reacted here, thats right that there are movements agienst the fanatical and in favor of change (the muslim feminist movement and so forth) but unfortunatly they are too weak at this moment. So the fantics have a foothold on the masses. And this is the exactly the problem with Islam today. Since the Iranian revolution the fanticals power grows in the muslim world and so the feeling goes that everybody is bad except me and trying to heart me had become the ruling position and this case is another proof.

So those animators put that there by mistake, that shows why they put all that kabbalah/hebrew letters in manga/anime, just so it would seem more "exotic".

It is a bit irresponsible from the japanese animators to not check the stuff they put in. It is weird that in japanese anime from what i had seen (and i had seen alot) they only refer to a limited number of cultures. The western, united states and europe (especially holland french and england) japan, china, korea, but thats it. Like the other culturs doesn not exist for them. I don't get it.
the_ferret

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
And yeah, it's also laughable that people are saying Christians or other religious conservatives never complain about this kind of thing. The specific circumstances for recent censorship of Islamic imagery bother me (out of actual fear), but it's either naivety or stupidity to say that Muslims are the only group who actively oppose and effect religious imagery in popular media.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
REDOG:

Quote:
This is how they were acting most of the history since the end of their golden age in the early middle ages. If you say something about me i will take it to depth of my heart and kill you in an act of rage.

You're confusing them for the Inquisition.

Quote:
this is their mentality. Post- medieval mentality. and that's what the muslim masses do today, kill everyone they can kill and don't like.

Isn't that kind of what we've been doing to Iraq?

Quote:
And this is the exactly the problem with Islam today. Since the Iranian revolution the fanticals power grows in the muslim world

You're confused there, buddy. The Iranian Revolution had nothing to do with Muslim fanaticism as much as anti-Western imperialism. The fanatics are the people we paid in exchange for oil and fighting off the commies.

Quote:
It is weird that in japanese anime from what i had seen (and i had seen alot) they only refer to a limited number of cultures. The western, united states and europe (especially holland french and england) japan, china, korea, but thats it. Like the other culturs doesn not exist for them. I don't get it.

Japanese entertainment does go to other countries and continents, but not frequently.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

No he didn't, and no he isn't. Rolling Eyes
And if you don't know the difference and circumstances then you have no place to make such statements.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike or in your case hate the man, but let's keep things in the relm of facts, and not just how you wish things were. Laughing

Funny, I thought you would be against revisionist manga. Time for you to lead the fight and change anything that offends anyone. Even if the inclusive offended group can't disown the offending comment anyway. Let's start with Akira. You like that one don't you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
REDOG wrote:

It is a bit irresponsible from the japanese animators to not check the stuff they put in. It is weird that in japanese anime from what i had seen (and i had seen alot) they only refer to a limited number of cultures. The western, united states and europe (especially holland french and england) japan, china, korea, but thats it. Like the other culturs doesn not exist for them. I don't get it.

Japanese, Chinese and Koreans have a different concept of what is "Asia" for them: Asia for them is Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand and all the countries belonging to the "Sinosphere" (That means all countries influenced by the Chinese culture, Buddhism and Confucianism values). For them, the people of the Middle East are neither true Asians nor Westerners from their viewpont.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargon:
Quote:
No he didn't, and no he isn't. Rolling Eyes

He said Jesus told him to invade Iraq, and he killed one million of them.
Sounds about right to me.

As for revisionist manga, I'm against the kind which is misleading, like Tenjho Tenge and I"s. [I.E. Implied higher age ratings, but toned-down content.] I'm not fond of stuff like what happened in FMA, either, but I'm not going to let it get in the way of my enjoyment of a particular series.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Yeah, we're not going to do this. This is a discussion of an anime pulled, not about Iraq or Bush or terrorism or whatever. We all know that going down this path is just going to lead to one vicious firestorm, so I'm telling you now that the path is close and the thread will be if people insist on crossing the signs anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
This news bothers me, specifically the "we're going back and editing it" part. What's done is done, there shouldn't be exceptions. The rage in this thread shouldn't surprise me but it does and I'm pretty saddened by those arguing over things that probably don't really matter.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else reminded of this bullcrap?

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=396&i=fmaeditzm6.jpg][/URL]

As a Christian I am offended. I'm offended by the edit. I'm offended that Viz assumes that all Christians are a bunch of sue happy close minded pricks, If I was Muslim I would be offended by these fantastics who take such offense and make such noise at a cartoon.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
This is why I generally prefer stories that don't have any direct relevance to the modern world. Stories based in the modern real world come with all this baggage of not offending people or portraying things accurately. It really limits what you can do sometimes with a story. Something set in a fantasy world or a different time period frees you from these kind of constraints and easily offended peoples, BUT you can still get a point about the real world across.

Take Gundam SEED Destiny. Gundam SEED Destiny is set in some distant future where the US no longer really exists and instead is part of the Atlantic Federation. The Atlantic Federation attacks ZAFT claiming it harbored terrorists and demands that the ZAFT Supreme Council dismantle itself, the ZAFT military, and submit to Atlantic Federation inspectors. During that point in the show, we as the viewers sympathize with ZAFT and see the Atlantic Federation as a bunch of douchebags. Well, now let's see, what does that sounds like? Hmmm....the beginnings of the Iraq War. The Atlantic Federation sort of sounds like America and ZAFT like Iraq. But no one claims Gundam SEED Destiny is anti-American or anything because it doesn't actually directly use real world names or is set on modern day Earth. But the author was able to say something against America's foreign policy.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8