• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream ADV's Welcome to the NHK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
It's worth noting that Welcome to the NHK is a GONZO property. ADV is likely doing this at GONZO's request.

That's a good point.

However with some of the rocky roads ADV has been down the last few months, I wonder who asked who.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
And if it was GONZO then Crunchyroll really is on a roll. They will have access to a lot of titles.

I too agree that the sub version should have been placed on Crunchyroll.
Belgand

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching disc 3 of NHK the other day and if it's dub only then I'm going to continue getting the discs from Netflix. A shame too as it would be pretty nice to get it online for free if the quality is high enough.

Still, even though I'm a sub-only type of person I swapped over to the sub just to check it out for a bit and ugh... it was about as bad as I had expected it might be.

Maybe that's their plan. Put it up in dub to draw the sub-only crowd into watching a few episodes, finding out they like it, and then being unable to tolerate the dub and going out and buying it (though why buy when you can rent? Is this crazytown or something?).
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
More sad news? Two in one day!? While I understand what Gonzo's doing, and ADV's position monetarily, I'm still bothered immensely by any R1 company siding with CR. I feel betrayed and things like this make me lose faith in the industry. I'll keep buying the singles but I won't like it.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON wrote:
Yes!!! More free Anime!!! coooooooool. Cool

I mean,what beats free?

Nothing is better than free when you're on the receiving end.

However, nothing is worse than free when you're a fan of animation. Studios don't get paid, anime doesn't get made.

Not sure how I feel about this decision. Is ADV thinking that this will sell more copies later on down the line? Are they making this available permanently, or is this a temporary availability? If it's temporary, then it's a good tease to make people buy it later. Otherwise, I'm not positive how this helps them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
More sad news? Two in one day!? While I understand what Gonzo's doing, and ADV's position monetarily, I'm still bothered immensely by any R1 company siding with CR. I feel betrayed and things like this make me lose faith in the industry. I'll keep buying the singles but I won't like it.

Well it was only a matter of time after Speed Racer Ent. got on board.

ADV probably makes some income off of this. Not as much if they were to open a store there probably.
Astura

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Belgand wrote:
I just finished watching disc 3 of NHK the other day and if it's dub only then I'm going to continue getting the discs from Netflix. A shame too as it would be pretty nice to get it online for free if the quality is high enough.

Still, even though I'm a sub-only type of person I swapped over to the sub just to check it out for a bit and ugh... it was about as bad as I had expected it might be.

Maybe that's their plan. Put it up in dub to draw the sub-only crowd into watching a few episodes, finding out they like it, and then being unable to tolerate the dub and going out and buying it (though why buy when you can rent? Is this crazytown or something?).

Your post is one of the reasons why a lot of people make fun of Anime fans and why a number of people find that so called Anime fans are what is spelling doom for this industry.

Why buy when you can rent? Maybe because some of us happen to love a series and we would like to watch it with all the high quality offerings that DVD has to offer. I hope you were being sarcastic.

Your dub commentary is ridiculous beyond belief, and not worth responding to. But unfortunately it is this same type of commentary that I read often from those with tin ears by so called anime fans where people brainlessly follow the mob. The blind leading the even more blind. The dub is far from being untolerable to use your phrasing. Rolling Eyes It is a dub that has won praise in many quarters, this site and others and on its own right is a quality production effort.

Divisory statements like yours are why Anime fans continue to be a fragmented, a financial failure and not a force to be reckoned with.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think ADV isn't targeting the sub-only crowd at all but rather providing a legal way for more mainstream anime fans (many of whom English dub fans) to sample the series without putting down a lot of money to start with. That's about the only explanation that makes sense given the sub-centric fanbase of the site. (Or maybe ADV thinks they can actually get a few people to try out the English and realize that it's actually good so they stop whining about a "dub-tax" and just buy the DVDs already?)

Regardless of their intent, this move just confirms my belief that they won't be around that much longer.
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm against this personally. It would be easier for them to make a membership to "The Anime Network" to download/stream versions of the Anime. Or even better yet, go through I Tunes store. But siding with an "Illegal" entity for streaming video is very shady in deed. I refuse to give a dime to a company that advocates the sale of Fansubed material. Especially as this violates any sort of code of ethics. This partnership does not make sense at all.

While I encourage the idea of reaching out to the internet to promote the sales of R1 titles, which will bring more Anime to the fans faster, I don't think this is the right way of going about it.

As the old saying goes, "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend." So if Crunchyroll is our friend, who is the Enemy?

BTW, it will be interesting to see how many people actually feel the same way, but jump ship and become CR members.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jorlwind

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm a volunteer staff member -so I have no financial stake- for Crunchyroll.com (Jorlwind) (www.crunchyroll.com/staff) and I wanted to clarify something on the donations:

One small point to pick on at the end of the article about BLASSREITER and Druaga,
The donations that are received from members who donate on an episode (Druaga for instance), do not go to Crunchyroll. They go directly to the studio who is publishing the content. I wish the article was a little clearer on this. : \ Crunchyroll does not accept direct donations anymore.

Not that ANN members have to believe me. I think the donation page verifies this.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Personally I think ADV isn't targeting the sub-only crowd at all but rather providing a legal way for more mainstream anime fans (many of whom English dub fans) to sample the series without putting down a lot of money to start with. That's about the only explanation that makes sense given the sub-centric fanbase of the site. (Or maybe ADV thinks they can actually get a few people to try out the English and realize that it's actually good so they stop whining about a "dub-tax" and just buy the DVDs already?)

Regardless of their intent, this move just confirms my belief that they won't be around that much longer.

If they were targeting mainstream fans then they would have went to iTunes and just not charge like what happened with the extra for Noein. They are targeting the subset of Crunchyroll that also watches dubbed videos. Cruchyroll's population did spend money for the other 2 Gonzo titles and are spending money on Speed Racer.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Well it was only a matter of time after Speed Racer Ent. got on board.

ADV probably makes some income off of this. Not as much if they were to open a store there probably.

Okay, every other post in this thread is yours. Cool it.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
It's worth noting that Welcome to the NHK is a GONZO property. ADV is likely doing this at GONZO's request.
That's exactly the anwser to this issue. Gonzo is withelding the sub. hell, they even forced Veoh to take them all down.

So anyone wants to flame ADV, I'm afraid you are all terribly misdirected, ADV has nothing to do with this, besides they rarely b*tch(pardon my language) about the evils of fansubs! That nod goes to Funimation and Bandai.

Gonzo is very fickle with the titles they release, most of the Gonzo fansubs are always removed and the IFC programs have a strict restriction code that prevents you from recording any dubs on DVD.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
bayoab wrote:
melonbread wrote:
"high-def" was the actual quote if I remember correctly, and reading further it doesn't actually mean HD, just a term for their "high-defination", i.e better quality stream.

Considering the shows don't even exist in true HD (>480p resolution), there is no way they could stream true HD.

I think Druaga airs with a 720p resolution. Sure it might be an upscale, but it's still gotta look better than the 480p.

Infact, a ton of anime this season is airing in HD, and it is noticeable.

It's the same amount of video information presented at a larger size. The only reason it looks "better" is because there is information added due to upscaling and then transfer on the TV streams.
Chicken008

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know the select retailers offering this 50% off deal?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4