• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream ADV's Welcome to the NHK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ac195

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Regarding ADV...has anyone here tried to get a hold of a copy of Kanon vol.4? I can't find a copy anywhere, Amazon is out of stock and the ADV site is down...I hope this isn't some sort of foreshadowing about things to come... When Geneon went under it was a sad day for this person Crying or Very sad .
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Chicken008 wrote:
Anyone know the select retailers offering this 50% off deal?

Nope. It really annoys me that their doing this though, with me having bought all the DVDs at normal price. I wouldn't have minded if they did it a year or so after they finished releasing it, but doing it so soon...

ac195 wrote:
Regarding ADV...has anyone here tried to get a hold of a copy of Kanon vol.4? I can't find a copy anywhere, Amazon is out of stock and the ADV site is down...

I saw a bunch of them at Fry's Electronics a few days ago. My friend has had trouble finding them even in stores though. So I don't think this problem is limited to online.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
ac195 wrote:
Regarding ADV...has anyone here tried to get a hold of a copy of Kanon vol.4? I can't find a copy anywhere, Amazon is out of stock and the ADV site is down...I hope this isn't some sort of foreshadowing about things to come... When Geneon went under it was a sad day for this person Crying or Very sad .
Rightstuf shipped it to me like 2-3 weeks before the street date.
zaeris

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
Oronae wrote:
It's worth noting that Welcome to the NHK is a GONZO property. ADV is likely doing this at GONZO's request.
That's exactly the anwser to this issue. Gonzo is withelding the sub. hell, they even forced Veoh to take them all down.

So anyone wants to flame ADV, I'm afraid you are all terribly misdirected, ADV has nothing to do with this, besides they rarely b*tch(pardon my language) about the evils of fansubs! That nod goes to Funimation and Bandai.

Gonzo is very fickle with the titles they release, most of the Gonzo fansubs are always removed and the IFC programs have a strict restriction code that prevents you from recording any dubs on DVD.

It a rather baseless statement just because its a Gonzo title does it really make it more conclusive.

ADV is streaming DUB version of NHK not sub version. If Gonzo was promoting an already license product to a wielder audience a sub version would be more appropriate. One would beg to ask why would Gonzo need to go through such length considering the product has had exposure in both the Japan and America. A better choice for ADV would be to air it on TV if it isn't already.

Evidently Gonzo in the past has posted up news on their website before if they had plans to do so. You will have to tell me why there hasn't been one for NHK if Gonzo is promoting this streaming.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Jorlwind wrote:
Hey, I'm a volunteer staff member -so I have no financial stake- for Crunchyroll.com (Jorlwind) (www.crunchyroll.com/staff) and I wanted to clarify something on the donations:

One small point to pick on at the end of the article about BLASSREITER and Druaga,
The donations that are received from members who donate on an episode (Druaga for instance), do not go to Crunchyroll. They go directly to the studio who is publishing the content. I wish the article was a little clearer on this. : \ Crunchyroll does not accept direct donations anymore.

Not that ANN members have to believe me. I think the donation page verifies this.

That's good to know, but I'm curious if this is only the case for the series that are on the site legally, like Druaga, or if donations are sent to each production company regardless of legality?

As for how I feel about this, I'd say it was good if it meant the CR was seriously going legit, but otherwise I don't like it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
Chicken008 wrote:

The advertisement on Welcome to NHK's series page within Crunchyroll states that it's at Best Buy stores and online while supplies last. Vol. 1-3 $14.99 each. Vol. 2 with box $19.99.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
Heh, CR's fansub base probably already saw the fansub versions of Welcome to the NHK, so offering yet another sub version would just be a retread, ergo the dub version. Laughing
psipsy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
This is one of those "Deals with the Devil" that we all hear tell about.

Except it's unclear as to which one is the devil.
Rainulf

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
I don't really know how much it cost to license an anime, but I can see that they are testing different kinds of method to make more money.

If they do get more profit by doing this kind of promotion, then I expect them to do more, and we'll see other anime companies do the same. If they don't, then they'll stop. Simple as that..
mithrandiryod

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who actually saw this series when it was licensed by ADV on ADV's site, I got hooked, and actually didn't mind their voice acting. Sure some of the characters are annoying at times but that can happen on any type of voice acting team. In truth I'm totally hooked on this, but kinda pissed because I pre-ordered DVD 3 and only received it a couple days ago. Now they're cutting prices in half? *sigh* Oh well I hope the extra money supports the industry somehow.

As to doing a deal with Crunchy roll? Any promotion is good promotion in my opinion. But CR inherently doesn't sit well in my mind. Maybe it's just because they had a business model that ripped money off of fansubbers hard work and not only got completely away with it, but are now turning it into a business that could either:
A) Bring the Anime Industry in America back by introducing us to a new system of doing business and perhapse being a model for the companies in Japan to do the same.
B) Bring about the collapse of Anime as we know it in America by continually stealing from the corporate trough.
or perhaps:
C) Have nothing more than a mild effect.
The fact that they claim donations go to companies now in my mind is irrelevant. For all we know they could be pocketing it, or feeing it to compensate them for server space, or maintenance, or bandwidth usage. There are hundreds of little things one could do to those "donations" to make sure that they get a little cut, whether it be through the donations themselves, or the reduction of expenses, to increase profit margins in other areas.

As for me, I will continue as always. I will watch fan subs until a show is licensed (more than likely direct from the distributer and not crunchy roll, which I cannot fathom who would pay for fan subs), and when the series is premiered in America I will support the industry by purchasing it. I don't think any other Anime fan should do any less.

-mith
Chicken008

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Chicken008 wrote:

The advertisement on Welcome to NHK's series page within Crunchyroll states that it's at Best Buy stores and online while supplies last. Vol. 1-3 $14.99 each. Vol. 2 with box $19.99.
Ah, and its for USA residents only..
Quark

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
Chicken008 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Chicken008 wrote:

Ah, and its for USA residents only..

Hooray, us Canadians get jacked! Ah well, I'll just wait for the next TRSI ADV sale and pick up the rest of this series, since it's one of my favourites.
And I have to agree that I don't like ADV siding with CR one bit.
kazana144

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
ac195 wrote:

My local best buy had it, but their online catalog is on backorder.

Yah, I hate this, too. Maybe when crunchyroll exclusively starts streaming anime legitly, I'd feel better about all this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4