• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:

Yahtzee wrote:
The best writing in visual media is succinct and punchy, something a lot of webcomic writers need to understand.

He says this on this video while an image from the Penny Arcade is displayed with big caption "too many f***ing words".

Not to sound like a dick, but that obviously was not Penny Arcade...

It was actually Ctrl+Alt+Del, which Yahtzee is right about...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
@Short Attention Spans: I'm inclined to think that the issue with being disinterested in something has more to deal with, well, how interesting someone finds the material, not necessarily anything related with "attention span".

@Anime Web Comics: I've only come across one anime-fandom based webcomic and that was Dub_This!. I've linked back to the first comic; many of the early strips are good (albeit very dated) but the comic takes a turn for the worse when the authors decided to take the story in a very "serious" (read: melodramatic) direction.

I'm generally not a fan of web-comics in general. I've been reading Penny Arcade since it's creation (and, yes, it can be hit and miss a fair bit). I also like XKCD a fair bit, too; no matter how nerdy it gets. I think that's what I like about it. But, aside from the early portions of Dub This!, I've not found an anime based web comic that's really any good.

How many episodes do you give something?: I've actually become very picky. I need something eye-catching and that will draw me in at the very first episode. I hate when I watch something absolutely mediocre and people keep telling me "It gets better at episode N!!!", where N is not equal to 2. It's not even some quality that's standard - it could be animation, could be story, could be nearly anything. But, if a series can't get me intrigued enough with even one of those, then it's probably not worth my time. And with the number of episodes shrinking on average (a lot used to be 26+, then 26, now 13), this nitpick is more and more important.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Re: Price Differences,

To me, price point only determines the level of scrutiny I give to something I'd want to buy, and how much of it I'd buy. Selling anime at $35-40/episode versus $8-10/episode doesn't mean I'd spend less on anime; it only means I'd buy less, and go through more trouble to make sure I'm getting something I'll enjoy.

Re: Question of the Week,

I don't believe watching part of a series is a reliable way of judging the overall quality of an anime. Instead, I rely on reviews from other people (be it from a review site like THEM Anime Reviews or word-of-mouth on forums like this) to gauge what an anime's like from beginning to end.

Anecdotal evidence (IMO):

• Scrapped Princess: Looked like a good fantasy-style anime for the first half, blew it at the midway point and never recovered.
  • Haibane Renmei: Looked like a slow-paced slice-of-life style anime for the first five episodes, then kicked it up a notch starting at the sixth.
  • Evangelion: Looked like a more-or-less normal mecha anime until about episode 19, spoiler[when Touji was nearly killed]. Then things got weird.
  • Paranoia Agent: Went from mystery story about a kid randomly whacking people with a bat to something more bizarre at the halfway point.
  • Last Exile: Was a good steampunk anime for 24 episodes, only to completely botch the ending.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

In some ways I think Berserk needs a sequel but in a lot of ways I'm tempted to just say: Read the manga. The anime is a fairly acceptable adaptation. However, it really can't compare to the manga. It also left out a lot of important points near the end. For this reason I think people ought to just look at the anime as an introduction to the manga which is the full version. This is coming from me too, and I normally pretty strongly prefer anime to manga. To me though, this is one of the cases where the manga is such a masterpiece that the anime doesn't really add anything significant to make up for it's downsides.

This is where I disagree most. The anime had a ROCKING soundtrack due to Susumu Hirasawa's involvement. His sound was just so evocative at times, and it carried a distinct mood to it that channeled the right feeling into the Berserk anime. I don't think the voice cast was lacking either. My only real criticism is that the show didn't have enough elbow room to showcase some of the manga's more sickening visuals. Sure the anime was just a big ad for the manga, but you couldn't have seriously watched that show and not wanted more, could you?

Granted I'm a frothing fanboy; I don't care so much about the practicalities of things when there's a chance to see something wonderful happen, like an on the ones Gatz slicing through five hopeless armored soldiers! Yeah who needs that.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
This is a response to ikillchicken regarding Blood: The Last Vampire. Are you aware of the Blood+ anime tv series? It's a sequel to the movie, set in the present and in it, they explain the origins of Saya. It recently ended its run on Adult Swim and the first 25 episode box set is now out. (There is a total of 50 episodes.) However, in the beginning of the series, Saya has lost her memory and think she's human. So she's not as kickass as in the movies which turned a lot of people off. But I liked it though and I thought it was a good series though not as action-packed as the movie.
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
DKong wrote:
Regarding the question about if the West or Japan has to pay more for their anime and manga.
While yes, Japan has to pay out the ass for DVDs, but their manga costs roughly half as much as it does over there.

True. When I was in Taiwan, I noticed the average volume of manga cost about $3 USD whereas the same thing would cost about $10 in the US. Admittedly, some of that difference is due to the cost of living difference between the 2 countries, but even still, there's no denying that manga is cheaper to purchase over there. Plus if you don't care about owning it, there are plenty of manga cafes where you can essentially rent manga for even cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Awwww, I love Achewood. <3 It has the most amazingly written dialogue ever, filled with slang that you you wish was real. I can see why people would find it unfunny, because there's rarely a "joke" just strange characters doing and saying strange things. Yet I find it completely hilarious.

Honestly I know of very few anime webcomics, aside from megatokyo (yuck). But Girly, a favorite of mine, was heavily influenced by anime/manga in the earlier strips, although nowadays it's more of an American style. I read quite a few webcomics now that I have one of my own, but I've found that in webcomics, videogames seem to be a more common subject of interest than anime.
Outlaw_Spike

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
On the subject of good anime style web comics: What about anything by Dan Kim over at Clone-Army?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
For the number of episodes for me, for a 13 or less series, 1-2 episodes; 26 episodes, 3-4 episodes; Anything longer, 4-5 episodes. It took me 5 for Monster to know to watch the rest, but only one for Mushi-shi and 2 for Welcome to the NHK. It does vary a bit, but I usually go by those rules for me.

Speaking of Welcome to the NHK, the fourth episode makes it rather clear to me that Japanese people probably do have the more expensive hobby. When Sato and Yamazaki go to buy otaku related stuff, the line that Yamazaki says along the lines of "Are you kidding?! I'd starve for Pururin!" rather fits with what Answerman said. Anime can be a good look into Japanese culture and seeing Yamazaki's room is certainly proof of how otaku he is. He had everything in there, gal games, figurines, posters, tons of DVDs, the first thing I wondered was how much money that would have cost someone in real life. I couldn't comprehend it, so I just gave up and enjoyed the rest of the show.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
This is a response to ikillchicken regarding Blood: The Last Vampire. Are you aware of the Blood+ anime tv series? It's a sequel to the movie...

Actually, Blood+ is a completely separate entity than the movie; Saya's backstory in the series at the time period in which the movie takes place doesn't match it. And if someone enjoyed the movie because of its action and Saya's badassitude, I'd somewhat hesitate to recommend the series. Razz
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
I don't believe watching part of a series is a reliable way of judging the overall quality of an anime.

• Scrapped Princess: Looked like a good fantasy-style anime for the first half, blew it at the midway point and never recovered.
  • Haibane Renmei: Looked like a slow-paced slice-of-life style anime for the first five episodes, then kicked it up a notch starting at the sixth.
  • Evangelion: Looked like a more-or-less normal mecha anime until about episode 19, spoiler[when Touji was nearly killed]. Then things got weird.
  • Paranoia Agent: Went from mystery story about a kid randomly whacking people with a bat to something more bizarre at the halfway point.
  • Last Exile: Was a good steampunk anime for 24 episodes, only to completely botch the ending.

Hmm, I think I'm gonna disagree with you on most of those...

Scrapped Princess - Right from the start we knew there would eventually be some explanation for why Pacifica is the scrapped princess. Although it's a twist, it is foreshadowed (talking with the dragon in ep. 2 for starters) and fits in naturally with the story progression. I could tell it was going to be something that I'd enjoy from the second episode.

Haibane Renmei - While there is a significant change in halfway through, this is also foreshadowed by events in the first "arc". I think it's fair to say that anyone who enjoys the first few episodes is liable to enjoy all of it.

Paranoia Agent - hmm, to me this seemed exactly what you'd expect from a mystery written by Satoshi Kon. Once again, from the start there were hints of something out of the ordinary (Maromi talking in ep.1).

Last Exile - It's Gonzo. Be prepared for a less-than-perfect ending -.-
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Can't really help out with anime-related webcomics, but I think these are pretty good:
Minus
Shortpacked!
The Non-Adventures of Wonderella
Captain Excelsior
Sinfest
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Huh, I have a lot of superhero influenced webcomics in there.
Crystal Hoser

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
@Short Attention Spans: I'm inclined to think that the issue with being disinterested in something has more to deal with, well, how interesting someone finds the material, not necessarily anything related with "attention span".

Yeah, I was just about to say that. All of the series that were mentioned in the question are more-or-less action-based, and if that doesn't interest you than even the good ones will be boring (I think Ghost in the Shell is dull for exactly that reason).

As for webcomics, I love me some Friendly Hostility.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
Scrapped Princess: Looked like a good fantasy-style anime for the first half, blew it at the midway point and never recovered.

Yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with ya here. From the start it appeared to be a generic fantasy. If you ask me it only managed to turn itself around at the midway point, even before then in my opinion.

musashi1600 wrote:
Last Exile: Was a good steampunk anime for 24 episodes, only to completely botch the ending.

I thought the ending was great, if anything might have blown it for Last Exile, it was all the pointless love triangles that went nowhere and wasted the bulk of the middle of the series as a result.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
musashi1600 wrote:
Last Exile: Was a good steampunk anime for 24 episodes, only to completely botch the ending.

I thought the ending was great, if anything might have blown it for Last Exile, it was all the pointless love triangles that went nowhere and wasted the bulk of the middle of the series as a result.

The thing about Last Exile's ending, which most anime seem to be lacking, was that it was satisfying. That's what I liked about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7