• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Survey: Gateway Titles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.Lawliet

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
What made the survey close?does anyone noe?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
cought= caught

It caught my eye.

I just chose SM, but Akira was a close 2nd/1st.
I got into manga through Sailor Moon, but anime through Akira.

Should be intresting to see the results of this survey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Someone must have been pissed at my rant in the Toei thread. Rolling Eyes
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Survey's Closed. Due to.. actually.. not sure why. I'm guessing it's being retooled.

Meanwhile, it was really Evangelion that got me into anime. Though I did watch Ronin Warriors before that. Lone Wolf and Cub might have been my first manga.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious where to draw the line between exposed to and "gateway." I was tempted to do one of the 70s super robot shows (with Raideen my favorite)or a Matsumoto title as my gateway and looking at all the toys and books I have from these shows I suppose I was an anime fan before Gundam came out. On the other hand Gundam was the first series I was obsessed about which is obvious when you look at how much Gundam related merchandise I have from the early 80s. The other thing is I still enjoy the franchise and recently watched the movie trilogy while I find it harder to watch most mecha series that pre-date it. The idea of a gateway title is hard to define for some of us who grew up watching anime.

Last edited by Randall Miyashiro on Thu May 29, 2008 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
No Vampire Hunter D? While not the first anime I'd seen, it was definitely the first that made me want to watch more.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Survey's Closed. Due to.. actually.. not sure why. I'm guessing it's being retooled.

L.Lawliet wrote:

The survey isn't closed... You just have to log in before starting it or else it will say "Survey is closed". At least that is how it worked for me. So I guess this is a "registered members only" survery? Either that or it's a bug.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I got into anime through Evangelion, but it was far from the first thing I had seen. I had been aware of Sailor Moon and Pokemon, and even watched the latter for a while, but it didn't lead to me liking anime. Evangelion, on the other hand, did.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
It was kinda of a tossup, I accidentally voted 96, when I later found out to be 97 as my "gateway year". That's when Toonami AND Pokemon came out. I kinda wish there was a choice regarding Toonami's creation. As the original lineup there was a huge contribution But I voted Pokemon as my main show, because I believe that was the first show I was really actively into, referring to it as "Japanimation"

But aside from Pokemon and the Toonami lineup, it was Blue Seed on the Encore Action Channel (which I believe was late 97/98) where I saw "real" Anime for the first time. I still remember the dorky promo they had for it with Amanda Winn Lee, chuckling when she said "I love the graphics!"
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Can't remember when I was hanging out with my friends who introduced me to Fushigi Yuugi... either 2000 or 2001, probably '01. Had seen Ranma 1/2 before that back in like 1996 and enjoyed it, but FY was where I became crazy about anime.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
well I was a kid when I first watched sailor moon, and I had always loved it. I also watched dragonball, and later dragonball Z. when I got a bit older and SM came back on air I started to get into other dubbed TV titles as well since there were a number airing at that time, and then I got into subbed anime, and non-TV anime in like 2002.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
inuYasha for me, it just caught my eye one night when it was just getting started in Canada in '03. Of course, I saw anime before this but it was the first one to not be embraced by my peers as other titles that usually had an additional tie-in like Pokemon. It was also the first anime I recognized as an anime, not that what I saw before that wasn't anime but they were so widely popular, and not till InuYasha did my interest grow in Japanese music, manga and so forth.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
It was sort of hard for me to answer which title; my first exposure to anime and manga was Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha, and while I read every single volume of both series that our library had, I didn't really start actively seeking out other anime until I got into Shaman King. I ended up saying SK because it was what really got me into the more fandom oriented side of anime, and because I was introduced to a lot of other anime by people telling me "Oh, if you like that, then try this!".

I like to think my encounter with Shaman King was destiny, though. I mean, what are the chances that my grandmother would have to be rushed to the hospital on the day it premiered in the US, leaving me and my brother without parents to tell us to turn of the TV? The same thing happened for two successive weekends, and by then I was hooked. It's so odd how fate works sometimes Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhtHawk

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I had seen several anime, but an AMV I discovered after I got hooked on Toonami got me into Cowboy Bebop. It was the first show I sought out knowing full well it was anime. I just happened to catch it for it's first run on Adult Swim.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
L.Lawliet wrote:

Survey Isn't Closed.Registered members only, must be registered before the survey was launched (anti-ballot stuffing measure, we had problems last time we ran this survey).

OnanRulz wrote:
No Vampire Hunter D? While not the first anime I'd seen, it was definitely the first that made me want to watch more.

You can add anything that is missing.

Gatsu wrote:
Someone must have been pissed at my rant in the Toei thread.

Pissed? Nah, don't give yourself so much credit. Talking about the old survey in that thread made me wonder how the results had changed in the past 2 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6