• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Hell's Kitchen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crescendoll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I think this does it for me--I'm gonna give Kitchen Princess a go. From the opinions I've been hearing here and elsewhere, I won't be disappointed.

Ughhhh, Princess Ai. Ew. It hurts me greatly to have Ai Yazawa's name anywhere near that travesty of a "manga" even if all she did was the original character designs. Kudos to the writer of the review, though. It gave me a laugh. =)
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I find your criticisms and grading of Parasyte volume three highly suspect!

Personally felt that this was the best volume yet.

Patachu wrote:
Honestly, this volume fell quite heavily on the boring side, with lots of talking and negotiating and not so much of the sci-fi horror that makes the series shine.

I don't see how actually giving public perspective on the parasite situation and character development is a bad thing, though. ("Boring" is a vague description, anyway. "Boring" can be applied to anything.) The sci-fi trappings are interesting but not original in the slightest; the grounded characterization and philosophical musings are what drive Parasyte, and this is where the volumes succeeds.

Granted, the observations that Shinichi has changed is eventually a bit redundant, but they're coming from someone who has known him for a (couple) year(s). To suddenly see someone whom you're close to make a drastic change in their personality and outlook, then back to how they usually behave and then back to their "new self" would be hard to take.

Quote:
Furthermore, the conflict that should have happened between Shin and Shimada falls flat—they spend most of their time talking with each other, with students around school, but barely raising a fist or showing off their powers (except to ward off some ignorant bullies).

I'm a bit lost at that one. The tension of what could happen (and eventually did) is far more terrifying than just a simple "alien fight." A repeated massacre to an even higher degree is an event Shinichi wants to avoid.

Quote:
and whatever happened in that last chapter ("How to spot an infected person") was just stupid.

Oh, come on. That's one of the most genuinely funny moments published in manga in months.

Quote:
O plotline, where art thou?

Stories that are heavily dependent on plots are ridiculously overrated.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I am surprised that anything involving one Christopher Hart could possibly bear an Evidence For section, but I suppose Carlo has to be fair.

I think the big thing I missed in Evidence For is the fact that Hart didn't draw it. Which makes it a lot more tolerable.

Remember that most people's opinions of Christopher Hart are based on his output of (1) instructional material, and (2) his illustrations, both of which are quite different from writing a graphic novel script.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cats and dogs living together!

One of many classic lines from Ghostbusters!

Put together my soft spot for Shojo along with my passion for cooking, and I have been with Kitchen Princess since Volume 1. This Volume was everything the review said, but I'll admit I'm a little nervous about the new character introduced at the end of the volume - it just seemed way too cliche.

Folks, put "DJ Milky" together with anything and what you get is crap. THANK GOD they included the Classic version of the Initial D anime as that Rap crap was absolutely hideous! And I am normally a BIG dub fan, but that is one to avoid. Too bad Stu can't fire/lay off himself! Maybe that would turn things around at Tokyopop!
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Got to agree fully on the Princess Ai review. That manga [granted, I didn't get past volume 1] was so generic, I don't know how anyone could feel good about writing it. The art is beautiful, seriously, but like my media teacher always told us, people will watch bad video but they won't listen to bad audio, in this case bad storytelling. I could look at the color images all day though.

I don't understand all the hype around it either. Weren't they going to make a full length movie or something? I just remember animated commercials for it when it was first being hyped. Tokyopop hasn't even given up on it yet. What Tokyopop needs to bring back is Sushi Girl. That was a cute OEL comic, but from what I know they didn't publish any more of it besides in . . . Mixx? Smile? One of those.

I think I'll have to try Kitchen Princess. Waiting for Sugar Sugar Rune 8 has me wanting to rip my hair out, so Kitchen Princess may save my poor scalp.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
It's bizarre how different the reviews for Kitchen Princess are on here and AoDVD. There, the manga has pretty much straight Cs, and here it's got As. I wonder if AoDVD missed the humor that ANN seems to find here.

Hopefully Borders will have it so I can at least browse through the first volume and see if I like it, since the Cs have made me a little more wary now. I still want to check it out though.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
It's bizarre how different the reviews for Kitchen Princess are on here and AoDVD. There, the manga has pretty much straight Cs, and here it's got As. I wonder if AoDVD missed the humor that ANN seems to find here.

Hopefully Borders will have it so I can at least browse through the first volume and see if I like it, since the Cs have made me a little more wary now. I still want to check it out though.

Actually I'd agree that the early volumes of Kitchen Princess probably float around the C or low B area. It's not until Vols. 5-6 that it really becomes worthy of that A-.

Or maybe it's because I place a high premium on visual clarity and readability, so any mainstream shoujo where I don't get my eyes burned out by ten bajillion screentones gets an automatic grade increase.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Actually I'd agree that the early volumes of Kitchen Princess probably float around the C or low B area. It's not until Vols. 5-6 that it really becomes worthy of that A-.

Or maybe it's because I place a high premium on visual clarity and readability, so any mainstream shoujo where I don't get my eyes burned out by ten bajillion screentones gets an automatic grade increase.

Thanks for your clarification! That really does help.

I also see that the v. 4 & 5 did receive a C and B+ respectively at ANN; for some reason I had thought they both had As... I must have been confused with something else.

But anyway, I'm still willing to try them out; I do love food-related stories.
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with her review of Princess Ai. I have no idea who would read that overhyped pile of tripe, and also have no idea how the idea even got off the ground.

Stu Levy needs to get a new day job and stop trying to be "hip".

I could not agree more.

I also enjoyed seeing Princess Ai put in its place in this particular RTO, given how long it has been out.

I cannot BELIEVE TokyoPop is still trying to push that ludicrously derivative, uncreative trash on consumers, nor can I believe Stu Levy's gall for continuing his moronic DJ Milky facade.

Even though TokyoPop has brought some wonderful series to the English-speaking market (including underrated works like anything by Matsuri Akino and Kouyu Shurei) and introducing a lot of people to manwha, I hate knowing that some part of my sale is going to Stu Levy's salary and thus further propagating Princess Ai.

P.S. Regarding TokyoPop's typos, punctuation and translation errors, etc. etc., isn't it a shame more manga releases aren't HALF as good as Dark Horse's unloved, hard-to-find (for me, anyway) Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service? With every release of that series that comes out, I consider sending them fanmail and flowers for not trying to Americanize everything and for providing informative cultural notes and commentary.
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
P.S. Regarding TokyoPop's typos, punctuation and translation errors, etc. etc., isn't it a shame more manga releases aren't HALF as good as Dark Horse's unloved, hard-to-find (for me, anyway) Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service? With every release of that series that comes out, I consider sending them fanmail and flowers for not trying to Americanize everything and for providing informative cultural notes and commentary.

Lord, do I love their release of KCD. Just blows me away every time. I just wish my library had anything past volume four D:

Also, I really really hate Princess Ai and I know if it were not for DJ Milky and Courtney Love's involvement in the series, it never would have sold as well. Which is why I just had to rip into it like I did - I'm surprised no one else did before me Very Happy
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
Lord, do I love their release of KCD. Just blows me away every time. I just wish my library had anything past volume four D:

RightStuf.com is a beautiful thing. :3 WHY OH WHY don't they sell this in stores though?! I've never seen it in retail, ever -- not big chain stores like Barnes & Noble or Borders, not comic and gaming shops that have tons of other manga, not locally-owned bookstores, nowhere. But I digress.

the_seventh_l wrote:
Also, I really really hate Princess Ai and I know if it were not for DJ Milky and Courtney Love's involvement in the series, it never would have sold as well. Which is why I just had to rip into it like I did...

Does DJ Milky actually HAVE a following? And would he still if people knew he's actually just a completely shameless, self-promoting CEO?

the_seventh_l wrote:
I'm surprised no one else did before me Very Happy

That's an interesting point, heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3