• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Simply Cel-ular

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I hope Aniplex releases a sanely priced Fate/Zero box over here, like they did with Baccano! Of course we all know that's not gonna happen Rolling Eyes .

There was no reason to sell Garden of Sinners at such an insane price! Whoever at Aniplex was responsible for that decision should be strung up, shot, drawn, and quartered and their head put on display as a warning to anyone else who dares to try the same bullshit.

One of the Ten Commandments of Anime: Thou shalt not gouge nerds with high prices! We will find thee and punish thee according to the will of Our Lady and Savior, Haruhi Suzumiya!

Why must Aniplex actively push us away? This is like Bandai Visual USA all over again! Selling anime at such a high price is never a good idea, especially during a recession! Who are they to push away the 99%?

Kudos to the guy who answered that he preferred plot over fanservice. It's great that he has standards instead of watching the same ecchi crap that keeps polluting the market these days. (With all that ecchi crap, Osamu Tezuka must be spinning in his grave.)
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Family Guy has alot of episodes to draw from and rotate around to keep people interested (seeing that many of the episodes are stand alone and don't exactly fall in a set timeline). Whereas FLCL and Cowboy Bebop are too linear and getting in the middle might leave viewers with questions about what happened earlier (For example, how Faye came to know Spike and Jet).

Although I agree that FG has a lot to work with in syndication, I strongly disagree with your statement that either FLCL or Bebop are too linear for casual viewers to follow. Cowboy Bebop might have an overarching plot, but for the most part the series was very episodic (or am I to believe that episode where they all tripped out on shrooms tied into the Vicious story line?). And something like FLCL imo is better followed as episodic. I mean the whole series is nuts already, watching an episode hear or there probably won't leave a casual viewer any more confused than if they were following episode to episode.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
What I am really worried about is that Aniplex may be driving up the cost of their "hardcore" licenses so high that American companies don't even consider them, and then justifying it by making a killing on those expensive sets.

Since Aniplex is listed as a Production company for Garden, Zero, and Madoka, do they even have to offer a license price? Can't they just say "no, we'll release it ourselves" to any licensing offers?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
..you should definitely give Mike Toole's article on cel collecting..

I've collected cels for several years, and Mr. Toole's article is not the first place that you want to look for advice. There are several forums that are better suited to this - www.rubberslug.com and www.anime-beta.com are all great sites to learn about cels and how to properly care for them. There are already lots of topics about proper cel care (read: Not touching the painted portion of the cels like Mr. Toole did during his show) as well as helpful information regarding the type of cels out there and what all those numbers in the upper right hand corner of the cel mean.

In regards to the transition of shows from cels to CG, several anime did use cels for certain sequences and items after their main production went CG. Inuyasha is a great example of this. IY went CG at episode 100 (2003), but, some of the OP/ED animation & hankens (images made for promotional items) were still done with cels. I think Tree of Palme was one of the last (mostly) cel based movies created, and that was released in Japan in 2002.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
There was no reason to sell Garden of Sinners at such an insane price!
Yes, there was a reason. It is called "Animation enthusiasts pay through the nose". Laughing

Seriously, you likey you payee. At whatever price. I will be glad when I have completed college (and have a job) so I can then afford the entertainment I want.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Utena
El Hazard
Nadesico, Dirty Pair OVA/Movie/Flash
Trigun, Hellsing, Haibane Renmei, Ai Yori Aoshi, Tenchi Muyo OVA/Universe/Tokyo/Movies, Tehxnolyze, Serial Experiments Lain, Armitage III
FLCL
Project A-Ko, [Adieu] Galaxy Express 999
5 cm/s
Lodoss War OVA/TV

The farthest this spans is to January of last year, so just under two years ago. License rescues still happen, they just aren't happening in the bulk from when Funimation took a big scoop of ADV stuff.

EDIT:
Forgot Girls Bravo.

Hey, that's nice, to be reminded that there are still license rescues that have gone on these past couple years. I know that there are still some titles that I want to be picked up again-- especially you, Paranoia Agent; hope you get a good re-release over here by the time The Dream Machine releases in theaters (which shouldn't be that much longer... right?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Yes, there was a reason. It is called "Animation enthusiasts pay through the nose". Laughing

Seriously, you likey you payee. At whatever price. I will be glad when I have completed college (and have a job) so I can then afford the entertainment I want.

You can only mark something up so much before people refuse to buy it. There was no excuse for Aniplex to pull that shit. If they do it again, those blood claats will get merked so hard their mothers will be crying and wondering why they didn't sell Garden of Sinners at a proper price!
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:36 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
There was no reason to sell Garden of Sinners at such an insane price! Whoever at Aniplex was responsible for that decision should be strung up, shot, drawn, and quartered and their head put on display as a warning to anyone else who dares to try the same bullshit.

One of the Ten Commandments of Anime: Thou shalt not gouge nerds with high prices! We will find thee and punish thee according to the will of Our Lady and Savior, Haruhi Suzumiya!

Why must Aniplex actively push us away? This is like Bandai Visual USA all over again! Selling anime at such a high price is never a good idea, especially during a recession! Who are they to push away the 99%?

Um, it doesn't seem like they're pushing away that many to me, considering that the high-priced anime they've been putting out is selling well. Sooooo yeah, basically I'd say they're going with an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality here.

And there was a reason for pricing Garden of Sinners so high...because they thought it would sell well regardless. And it did, cause it sold out if you haven't forgotten. Seems like perfectly sound reasoning to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Since Aniplex is listed as a Production company for Garden, Zero, and Madoka, do they even have to offer a license price? Can't they just say "no, we'll release it ourselves" to any licensing offers?

Yeah I thought that was the case too, which is why I was a little confused when the Answerman said:
Quote:
if Funimation wanted Garden of Sinners or Fate/Zero, they would've grabbed them already, before Aniplex decided to release them themselves

I don't see any reason why Aniplex couldn't have just held on to these licenses because they wanted to, not because FUNi passed on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

You can only mark something up so much before people refuse to buy it. There was no excuse for Aniplex to pull that shit. If they do it again, those blood claats will get merked so hard their mothers will be crying and wondering why they didn't sell Garden of Sinners at a proper price!
Can you read Japanese? Neither can I. But I can read numbers. The following link is the Amazon.com page for Garden of Sinners.
Notice the price: ¥ 76,500
That is $993.66
I don't think anyone can complain now. It is funny that people say they like Japan, but then refuses to pay Japanese prices. And as the above message pointed out, it did in fact sell quite well here despite the high price.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
t is funny that people say they like Japan, but then refuses to pay Japanese prices.

I assume if they had Japanese incomes they would gladly pay Japanese prices.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Quote:
t is funny that people say they like Japan, but then refuses to pay Japanese prices.

or further, if we were working on Japan economic system...I mean seriously do people hear themselves when they say stupid things like that? Because I like to watch Japan's animation, I should have to pay their insane prices? Yeah, sorry maybe if I lived in Japan, but I don't. You're comparing apples to oranges by comparing two different economic systems. Sure enough, because people actually shoved out the cash to buy that costly Garden of Sinners set and it looks like similarly people are doing the same thing with that costly Madoka set, so from that standpoint if people continue to buy into Aniplex's pricing model they will continue to sell their stuff at exorbitant prices. If people really want to see a change they should start by not buying into those prices, so Aniplex might get the message that a lot of fans don't want to spend damn near $80 for 2-3 episodes and useless extras (or at least useless from this fan's perspective).
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I mean the whole series is nuts already, watching an episode hear or there probably won't leave a casual viewer any more confused than if they were following episode to episode.

Another factor that you forgot to figure in is that since it's too short, the amount of repetition lends itself to make viewers get disgusted by it.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:
Quote:

or further, if we were working on Japan economic system...I mean seriously do people hear themselves when they say stupid things like that? Because I like to watch Japan's animation, I should have to pay their insane prices? Yeah, sorry maybe if I lived in Japan, but I don't.
From everything I have heard, the cost of living is far lower here and the GDP is still higher. That implies high prices should be easier for an American fan to afford than a Japanese one.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
It's great that he has standards instead of watching the same ecchi crap that keeps polluting the market these days. (With all that ecchi crap, Osamu Tezuka must be spinning in his grave.)

This raises a few questions. Why would Osamu Tezuka object to the use of fanservice or sexual themes in anime? How is ecchi crap only polluting the market nowadays? What was it doing beforehand, and where do you draw the boundary between that era and the current one?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4