• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Tamer Brad wrote:
But why does everything we watch have to be thought provoking to the point where it questions the meaning of life? Why can't it be pointlessly fun?

That...wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Read it again. She's not bashing the show's lack of substance, she's mocking its oh-so-very cheesy elements.

As for pointless fun, sure, we all like that once in a while. But pointless fun doesn't always mean kids throwing playing cards, tops, and living plushies around. If I want to give my brain a rest, for example, I opt more for stuff like Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Read or Die, or Excel Saga. Either a total off-the-wall comedy or a total off-the-wall action OVA, with nary a spinning top or cheesy dragon card in sight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I didn't realize, until I read a thread on a different board, that this is an original production that they're animating in Japan just for the American market!

Oh noez! The artistic integrity of Yu-Gi-Oh has been compromised by adding an eighth Millenium Item! Can America survive, and, more importantly, did I just write the words "the artistic integrity of Yu-Gi-Oh" with a straight face? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I dunno... did you say it with a straight face? I can't say the two in the same sentence without at least a smirk Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:35 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
did I just write the words "the artistic integrity of Yu-Gi-Oh" with a straight face? Rolling Eyes

Yesterday I happened to catch the last ten minutes of Duel Monsters, or whatever it's called. From that perspective Yu-Gi-Oh is an artistic tour-de-force! It's all relative. Cool
imcool

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:30 am Reply with quote
i hope they don't make a movie and do you know why because pokemon whent like this it wa all cool but then the movie came out and every one didn't like it and it's now stupid,gay,iffy an all them things i hope they don't
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:49 am Reply with quote
imcool wrote:
i hope they don't make a movie and do you know why because pokemon whent like this it wa all cool but then the movie came out and every one didn't like it and it's now stupid,gay,iffy an all them things i hope they don't

don't post the same redundant message in two threads
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
imcool wrote:
gay

Do not. Do not. Use that word in that context on these forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
I saw the trailer of the Yu-gi-oh in one website. I think it's called Janime. But it seemed good, especially the song being played. It also seems a little more violent than the dubbed version on tv. One scene has Pegasus being blasted by some beam and knocked down. I don't think you see people actually getting hit by the monsters in the dubbed tv version. The rating is also supposed to be PG. It's also a Japanese-American co-production, so we know that the Japanese part has a say on what kind of content will be in this movie.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Figures. I guess I'll never know whether Yugi draws on the powers of his friends channeled through playing cards that are ALSO AVAILABLE AT YOUR LOCAL COMIC STORE and defeats all evil or fails and gets turned into stone for eternity.

Ahhh. The egyptian god cards. Who would of thought that 3 cards pulled from a HP Printer using $0.01 paper from Office Depot and third party ink could rule the world?.

Great series, I tell y'.

tetsusaiga-kyo wrote:
Quote:
Would make for some easy cosplay skits, though. All you need is a deck of cards.

And you would need a gallon of hair gel.

Gel? You would need Crisco to get that kinda hair. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It also seems a little more violent than the dubbed version on tv

Wow, buddy, now that's violence! No, no, not the ace of spades!!!! Joey, you stop playing 3-card monte on the street... or I'll KILL YOU!
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying that it's going to have blood in it. It's probably not going to be even close to the the uncut version of yu-gi-oh but it might be just a little bit more violent than the us version on tv. some movies based on tv shows are a little bit more violent or etc. than the tv version. I could be wrong. I still don't like the yu-gi-oh dub though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2