• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The Confessional

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riderkid98

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
i did not get into the confessional thing but here are my 2 confessions...

1. even though i loathe the english dub of pokemon i still listen to the original music and the scores of the movies and tv show

2. I like yaoi even though i am a straight male (I get made fun of by my friends when i showed an interest in the narugaara pairing and ranmachan/kunxryoga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
Is there any source for the claim that going over-budget or running out of budget forced the lower animation quality of episodes 21-26? I know you can respond "Of course! Look at it!" but the co-director said that "the production schedule was a mess", and I've thought that that, more than budget problems, was the reason. I have never seen any reliable citation for the budget claim, and a rushed production schedule would certainly explain it entirely.

Eva's increasingly violent content in later episodes got criticized since it was unusually intense in violence for its early evening time slot at the time of its original broadcast. TV Tokyo, the original TV broadcaster of Eva, forced Sega, Eva's main sponsor at the time of production, to make budget cuts to the series due to the violent content thus the increasingly lower quality of animation in later episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Ryllharu wrote:
Is there any source for the claim that going over-budget or running out of budget forced the lower animation quality of episodes 21-26? I know you can respond "Of course! Look at it!" but the co-director said that "the production schedule was a mess", and I've thought that that, more than budget problems, was the reason. I have never seen any reliable citation for the budget claim, and a rushed production schedule would certainly explain it entirely.

Eva's increasingly violent content in later episodes got criticized since it was unusually intense in violence for its early evening time slot at the time of its original broadcast. TV Tokyo, the original TV broadcaster of Eva, forced Sega, Eva's main sponsor at the time of production, to make budget cuts to the series due to the violent content thus the increasingly lower quality of animation in later episodes.

Could you offer a source on that? It sounds plausible except I don't really see how forcing them to cut the budget is any kind of solution to concerns about violence. There isn't really any connection between the two. Then again, the anime industry has been known to work in mysterious ways.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
TMoHS = Over hyped soft-core loli-moe fodder.
Once again, I severely doubt you've actually seen the series.
I don't have to eat an entire full course to know I don't like the taste. Razz

dormcat wrote:
ohstalon06 wrote:
mohawk52 wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan = Over hyped soft-core loli-moe fodder.

Fixed, if any of the characters in Haruhi are loli, I need to double check my eyes.

Please make an appointment with your ophthalmologist immediately. Wink
If you think Kodomo no Jikan is soft core, it would seem you do need to check your eyes. Either that, or you have been looking at far too many really raunchy, rude, and strongly vulgar titles, and they have severely skewed your border line of disgust. Wink
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Ryomanagare wrote:
TheVok wrote:
Yeah, these ones weren't confessions either:
Quote:

Drew Bouncer:
"I hate Sharon Apple. I hate her looks. I hate her songs. I hate her fan base. I hate everything about her."

None of these opinions is in any way surprising, ironic, unusual, self-effacing or self-deprecating. They're sometimes somewhat clever, but clever does not a confession make.

You don't know who Sharon Apple is do you?

Yup. Watched Macross Plus way back in late 1997 and early 1998.

In the /m/ saying you hate anything about Sharon is grounds for a good sageing and if you say it to Macross fans in RL your likely to get a nice stern raging. That's why it's a confession. It's something you can't say because you know it will cause others to reject you.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

It's not a question of you liking it or not. It's a question of you knowing enough about it to back up your suspiciously troll-like statement.

Mohawk52 wrote:
If you think Kodomo no Jikan is soft core, it would seem you do need to check your eyes. Either that, or you have been looking at far too many really raunchy, rude, and strongly vulgar titles, and they have severely skewed your border line of disgust. Wink

It's not a question of being disgusted or not - KnJ is the very definition of softcore.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

It's not a question of you liking it or not. It's a question of you knowing enough about it to back up your suspiciously troll-like statement.
A concept not unknown to you it seems.

Quote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

It's not a question of being disgusted or not - KnJ is the very definition of softcore.
That in itself is questionable, and very much opinionated by one's level of acceptability.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Ryllharu wrote:

I didn't write that (thanks for quoting me instead of Xenofan 29A!), but like ikillchicken I'd like to see a source on that if you've got one. Most series that have animation suffer towards the end of the series anyway from either time constraints or simply being overbudget from poor planning or spending too much on previous episodes. GAINAX was always notorious for running over budget and running out of time.

From what I remember, Hideaki Anno wasn't sure how he wanted to end the series and they were forced to rush out the final two episodes because they were too close to the broadcast deadline.

As for the Haruhi broadcast order, the light novels the series is based on are completely out of chronological order in both stand alone chapters as well as entire story arcs. That is why it is broadcast that way, and putting it into chronological order makes the series mediocre as someone else said.
Jaekay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
sogekihei-neko wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
Haruhi is fun and entertaining. Perhaps one of the most fun and visually appealing shows I've seen. Fun to watch situations and plenty of OMG moments that made it memorable (I also liked that "first" episode). Do I care if it's not the second coming of Christ? No. I just like it for what it is. It certainly isn't a masterpiece, but it does what it's trying to do very, very well.

This pretty much speaks for me as well. I like the series, I don't consider it the be-all end-all, but it's very well done for what it is, and fun to watch.

Agree 100%, I really love Haruhi, I love the characters and the story, it's really entertaining and as far as I know there's nothing like it out there, it's most certainly in my top 10, maybe even 5, but its not my favorite show
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

A concept not unknown to you it seems.

Uh... what? The concept of backing up your statements? Thanks?

Mohawk52 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

That in itself is questionable, and very much opinionated by one's level of acceptability.

Softcore
Hardcore
and, just for clarity, explicit

It has nothing to do with personal levels of acceptability.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
How about condescending? Wink
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Ryllharu wrote:

I didn't write that (thanks for quoting me instead of Xenofan 29A!), but like ikillchicken I'd like to see a source on that if you've got one. Most series that have animation suffer towards the end of the series anyway from either time constraints or simply being overbudget from poor planning or spending too much on previous episodes. GAINAX was always notorious for running over budget and running out of time.

From what I remember, Hideaki Anno wasn't sure how he wanted to end the series and they were forced to rush out the final two episodes because they were too close to the broadcast deadline.

There were several sites I got the information from several years ago during my early days of anime fandom. Here's what I can dig up:

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/alt_reviews/938.php- A review on the complete series on DVD. Check the Quality section for details.

http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php/Anime- Check the Neon Genesis Evangelion section of the page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
How about condescending? Wink

Also a good word ^^;

I'm not really being condescending though, sorry if it seemed like it.

Not being the brightest spark in the box though, I have no idea where your previous statements were coming from, so I figured, hey, why not take it back to basics. Since the definitions I linked seem to directly contradict what you were saying earlier.
If I'm mistaken please correct me, by all means.

Arrow wild swerve back to topic!!11!

My favourite Miyazaki movie is probably Princess Mononoke, although I don't rate any of them that highly. They often seem to be, like most "family movies", to be a little rhetorical, a bit too much by-the-numbers. Not bad as such, just not the kind of thing I'm interested in. That said, I don't think Miyazaki's bad - in fact, after reading the Nausicaa manga, I'd say he's amazing. I just occasionally think it'd be nice if he was making more things on that kind of level rather than another film I won't be that interested in.

On Haruhi - I think, like several others, that Veoryn87 summed up my views on it fairly well.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
1. Full Metal Alchemist - Seen episodes 1-12, thought it was puritanical (do not want!), well animated and had a nice score, characters don't interest me all that much.

2. Cowboy Bebop - Beautiful, moved me to tears, the characters are really well developed and the series is a masterpiece. That music... wonderful.

3. Bleach - I've seen one episode, that was really good and I'll check out more at some point, I want to watch the whole soul society arc.

4. Evangelion - Visually stunning, way too freudian for my liking.

5. Naruto - Seen one episode, I would like to see more, the animation on some of the scenes is amazing, and I do like all the characters, though Sakura doesn't get to be as active as Naruto and Sasuke.

6. FLCL - Wonderful soundtrack and interesting characters, beautiful looking series with lots of guitars and robots.

7. Trigun - Seen four episodes, not really interested.

8. Princess Mononoke - I love all Miyazaki movies, including this one.

9. Inuyasha - Never seen it, probably never will, Takahashi is too repetitive for me with the exception of the outstanding Urusei Yatsura TV, which benefits so much from Mamoru Oshii's involvement.

10. Death Note - Seen the first and last episode, want to watch all that goes inbetween (I'm also trying to read the manga.) Nice black heavy visuals and Light and Kira and that shinigami who's name I can't remember... Ryuk, are really interesting to watch.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:
I'm about to go out on a limb.

Chances are, if you hate Melancholy, you loathe Evangelion. And if you hate these two, I can imagine a few more Anime fall into your category of 'despicable'.
/sigh

Loathe Evangelion. Love Haruhi. The two are not at all similar so I wonder why you would think this. I'm assuming your logic was that people hate anything popular. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I might give the answer fan topic a shot this week. Doesn't look like a lot of people are going to go with the Masterpiece opinion so I might actually have a shot.

They original comment was: If A, then B.
You responded that like Haruhi (Not A), but dislike Eva (B). It doesn't inherently disprove the statement. Besides, I believe the point that silver_omicron was getting at was lots of people hate shows just because they're popular. (There's also a not quite similar situation of a show not living up to the hype).

The point, exactly.

For me, Haruhi and Evangelion both accomplish a level of story telling that is unprecedented. They effectively communicate, otherwise, vague ideas over a complex yet, perhaps overly, strange plot but despite these abnormalities, the story plots remain interesting, intriguing, and moving. And kudos, furthermore, to the symbolism used in Evangelion.

I think what irks people about shows like Eva or Haruhi is that the common fan appreciates it. No longer is anime niche with shows like the above. Everyone can appreciate it. Suddenly, i'm not defined by Great Anime A: Everyone likes that anime, why should I?!

Thus, a conundrum. Still, I think they are excellent shows for this reason. They've reached almost unrivaled popularity. It's an excellent, non-formulaic story that people can, at least, recognize and say "Oh, that's Evangelion."

Hate it or love it, that's artistic and commercial success.

Actually, while Evangelion is considered mainstream, Haruhi is still barely on the cusp of mainstream popularity. And both still pretty much pale compared to the Gundam franchise in longevity and overall mainstream popularity. Gundam brought the whole mecha genre/complex characters thing into the mainstream long before Evangelion came along. I mean Char Aznable is like a national icon who is known even among non otaku types.

I also wouldn't say either achieve an unrivaled level of storytelling. That sounds more like something a die hard fan would say to try and justify there popularity. Evangelion came out at a time where it's style of storytelling was fresh and pretty much never before seen and thus caught a lot of attention by using the popular mecha motif as well. Haruhi just new how to push Otaku's moe buttons like very few series before it while keeping up a colourful atmosphere.

And then there's the plotting wherein if Evangelion's story is barely interpretable do to it's over complexity, Haruhi's is almost nonexistant, so they are really different beasts entirely. With Eva the viewer is forced to make sense of some of the characters inner monologues in what amount to acid trips where you might actually be looking at red herrings and inner confusion instead. There are also a lot of plot points that seem to contradict each other at times as well making me wonder just how tightly the whole storyline was actually woven together. With Haruhi there's no real plot other then the antics so I'm tempted to agree with the people that stated it was a series that knew what it was and how to capitalize on it by being fun to watch and by piling on the appropriate nod to the viewers when necessary. Though I can think of at least a few series off the top of my head that I felt were just as clever and witty.

And somebody mentioned the Emiri Kimidori single CD above and why it exists. Why ¥¥¥¥¥ of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10