• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Site to Sell Da Capo, Other Japanese Games in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
nightjuan wrote:
I wonder what, if any, region restrictions may apply.
If they sell it in English,then it should be localized through and through.But if you want to rock some Japanese PC games anyway,go to your control panel,click on region and languages and change your region coding to Japanese.Your computer will need to reset itself then it will read Japanese games without fail.Everything you normally do will still be the way it was,you will just be able to play Japanese games now.Microsoft also has a program that will do it for you.

The advice is appreciated but, to go right to the point, I have doubts about the implications of prices being in Euros and "Europe" apparently being the site's primary target.
zalas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm certainly glad to hear about this, but I can't say I'm not without reservations...
Draenor wrote:
Personally, I'm more concerned that they hire a decent translator and/or a native-speaker-of-English rewriter. A poor script could kill it. Certainly, Hirameki has their issues in that regard. But time will tell how it turns out.
No kidding, I sure hope the actual game translations aren't like the story synopses or the character descriptions on the site:
<snip>
So yeah, before I spend all those dollars euros on the games, I want to know how the adaptations are.

An encubed reader had provided us with screenshots of two of the games he purchased and downloaded: HinataBokko and Edelweiss and these were linked at the bottom of our article. Feel free to take a look at the images and form an opinion yourself. Smile
nightjuan wrote:
The advice is appreciated but, to go right to the point, I have doubts about the implications of prices being in Euros and "Europe" apparently being the site's primary target.

It's possible that they simply opened the European site first, and may have a separate American release site ready. But that's just a possibility and we'll find out on July 3rd, the "official" opening date.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they aren't fighting harder for titles like kimi ga nozomu eien (rumbling hearts) and air or kanon. Not even fate/stay night or shuffle those would be good break through hits for the company
zalas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I'm surprised they aren't fighting harder for titles like kimi ga nozomu eien (rumbling hearts) and air or kanon. Not even fate/stay night or shuffle those would be good break through hits for the company

Well, even if they fight harder, it's probably a lot harder to get those... From talking to aoyama-san of Hirameki back when it was in business, it looks like game franchises which take on animated adaptations usually are harder to license, due to a complication of the rights. The only thing in MangaGamer's product lineup that has an all-ages animated adaptation is Da Capo, and Circus has been sending their feelers out for quite some time now. Though, curiously enough and as far as I know, the only animated adaptation of the product lineup that has come out in English is Suika, with the North American release titled "Wet Summer Days" from Kitty Media.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
zalas wrote:
It's possible that they simply opened the European site first, and may have a separate American release site ready. But that's just a possibility and we'll find out on July 3rd, the "official" opening date.

If not, Circus is having a panel at AX. I'll be sure to ask them. At last year's panel they were extremely enthusiastic about wanting to have their titles released in English (and the good attendance to their panel also helped). I'd be surprised if they were planning to focus this release only on Europe.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
zalas wrote:

Well, even if they fight harder, it's probably a lot harder to get those... From talking to aoyama-san of Hirameki back when it was in business, it looks like game franchises which take on animated adaptations usually are harder to license, due to a complication of the rights. The only thing in MangaGamer's product lineup that has an all-ages animated adaptation is Da Capo, and Circus has been sending their feelers out for quite some time now. Though, curiously enough and as far as I know, the only animated adaptation of the product lineup that has come out in English is Suika, with the North American release titled "Wet Summer Days" from Kitty Media.
Yeah it must be like a million time harder to get those title especially if they not only have to deal with the original Japanese creators but adv and funimation when they get back to the states. I guess Da Capo is a good start (even if im not 18 yet so I can't play but I think the anime is so cute.)
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it must be like a million time harder to get those title especially if they not only have to deal with the original Japanese creators but adv and funimation when they get back to the states. I guess Da Capo is a good start (even if im not 18 yet so I can't play but I think the anime is so cute.)

I think it's more than just R1 licensee isssues. For example, Lantis, who is owned by Bandai Visual (JP),~ created the music for D.C.~Da Capo~. Broccoli has released merchandise merchandise for the series, among others. Three of the original characters (Kotori, Nemu, & Sakura), were designed Nanao Naru. Not to mention the various voice studios and that the all-age versions were published by various companies and that Kadokawa published the manga and character novels. Who is to say who owns the copyrights to these aspects of the game? Maybe Circus does and maybe they don't. Only they know what they own.

Still I'm not sure whoever owns the rights to a certain anime could negotiate or sell the rights to a certain game if they don't also own them. If Circus, for example, retained the rights to the Suika game when the anime was created--likely--why would Media Blasters have any claim to it based upon what they negotiated with the anime's rights holder? Then again, I obviously have not seen any of the contracts. I think we can assume it's complicated though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2