• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket: Discussion about Shigure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shai-Lang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Serieve wrote:
Here is my interpretation:

I think that they did all love Akito--but not in the same way. They definitely did not all feel a romantic love. Kureno gave her a sort of pity-love, like the way that Kagura loves Kyo. Hatori seems to love her as a child or someone to take care of (I'm thinking of how he held her in vol. 17 after the fight with Ren).

Shigure, however, loves her romantically from the beginning. If you recall, at one point he says that he's "the most cursed of all"--because he loves her truly. His love is not forced (or if it was, it was only in the beginning), unlike with Kureno (who is forcing himself to stay with her despite not wanting to--you could see why that would make Shigure angry) and the others. Even if Shigure were not cursed, he would still love her--and that's why he says he is perhaps the most cursed. He's bound even beyond the curse.

I don't know that I would say he loves her just because of the dream, though. If you argue that the dream was just a plot-hole to make him love her, then the curse could be considered a plot-hole as well, which I don' t like, since it's part of the premise of the series.

I think what Shigure is actually talking about when he talks about the dream is a feeling of yearning--which I think is a feeling common among dreams. You have this sad, beautiful, poignant dream--one that fills something you didn't know you were missing--and then you wake up and it's gone. Shigure and the others all felt that way, but Shigure was the only one who kept feeling that way. The others realized that they were cursed and their feelings were forced, and their feelings became conflicted. Shigure had the opposite reaction; he wanted to keep that feeling, to deepen his bond with Akito, but she flitted away.

Shigure as a whole is a fascinating character to me, and I've been trying to puzzle him out for a while now.

Quote:
Remember in volume 19 he said to Tohru how he wished he could of dreamed about someone like her instead?

I would also really like to know what he means by that. My only guess so far is that he realizes that his personality is wrong and twisted in ways, and maybe if he had yearned for Tohru, he wouldn't be the way he is now... but I'm not really satisfied by that answer.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to puzzle him out.

Yeah, Shigure is definitely one hard guy to figure out, that's for sure! Smile

Seriously though, what I got confused about is why was Shigure the one that loved Akito romantically compared to the others who had that same dream? What made him so special? Did he see something different in the dream from the rest of them? There's a lot about Shigure I wish they would of revealed, but I wouldn't call the curse a plot-hole like the dream Shigure had. The curse was explained, the dream on the other hand wasn't, therefore its a plot-hole.

I will say this though, reading that dream part made me really think that Natsuki Takaya was ripping off Sailor Moon.
llstrangell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I missed something, I just finished reading this series and I wanted to know how it is possible for Shigure and Akito to have physical relations in that one chapter with each other when Shigure was still cursed?? It doesn't make sense to me. I kept expecting them to reveal that Shigure had already been cured, but it never came. So then it becomes an inconsistency that he is able to sleep with Akito in the first place... wouldn't he have turned into a dog? Or is Akito able to touch them? But then it doesn't explain how Shigure was able to sleep with Ren either... did I miss something? Thanks in advance for anyone who answers, it's really bugging me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
@||strange||
I'm pretty sure the curse only takes effect when it's an embrace by someone outside of the family line, like Tohru. Pretty sure we see Kagura all over Kyo with no effects, right? But I'm pretty sure hearing mention that it also extends outside of just those cursed, after all, the previous cat clearly had children and eventually grandchildren (Kyo's mentor) and seeing how the cat is treated by other curse members, he probably didn't breed with one of them. It's likely a way to keep the curse within the (rather large, remember how there were like 70 houses for Sohma family people?) family, by ensuring that curse people can only marry within the Sohma family. Although in order to make a zodiac member, you clearly don't need only Sohma members (Momiji), but with the curse, it ensured that Momiji can only marry within the family (until the ending anyway).

But, I seem to recall that Hiro couldn't seem to touch his newborn little sister until the curse was broken, bit of inconsistency methinks...Then again, maybe if, after you embrace them and they turn animal and you keep hugging them, they'll eventually go back to normal but still be in your arms? Or maybe Hiro was just freaking out over nothing.
llstrangell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for answering! I do believe there is inconsistency regarding this issue... wasn't Hatori's girlfriend Kana a Sohma as well? But they could not touch? I was under the impression that only those cursed could touch each other. Also, Yuki turned into a mouse after playing with some of the "outside" Sohma children right?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
llstrangell wrote:
I don't know if I missed something, I just finished reading this series and I wanted to know how it is possible for Shigure and Akito to have physical relations in that one chapter with each other when Shigure was still cursed?? It doesn't make sense to me. I kept expecting them to reveal that Shigure had already been cured, but it never came. So then it becomes an inconsistency that he is able to sleep with Akito in the first place... wouldn't he have turned into a dog? Or is Akito able to touch them? But then it doesn't explain how Shigure was able to sleep with Ren either... did I miss something? Thanks in advance for anyone who answers, it's really bugging me.

I think that Akito doesn't count, because she is their God. As for Ren and Shigure, maybe they choose one of those positions that doesn't require embracing, for instance: doggy style Laughing
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
llstrangell wrote:
Thank you for answering! I do believe there is inconsistency regarding this issue... wasn't Hatori's girlfriend Kana a Sohma as well? But they could not touch? I was under the impression that only those cursed could touch each other. Also, Yuki turned into a mouse after playing with some of the "outside" Sohma children right?

If I remember correctly, Kana wasn't a Sohma and that's why spoiler[Akito forbade their relationship and Hatori lost his eye trying to protect Kana from Akito's rage. Hatori then wiped her memory.]
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
llstrangell wrote:

Only those within the Zodiac can hug each other without transforming. (This is why Haru and Rin can be together without issues, for instance.) spoiler[Akito is also cursed, so she and Shigure can embrace without him transforming. As for Ren, I think Shigure actually mentioned something about them, er, doing it without embracing in that case. It makes sense that they wouldn't care in that case, since they really don't have any feelings for each other at all and were just sleeping with each other out of spite towards Akito.] And they're both pretty twisted people and probably don't realize quite how effed up the whole thing is.

@st_owly
The way I see it, spoiler[Akito forbade their relationship because it was outside her control and she didn't want Kana taking Hatori away from her. She's ridiculously possessive and hates women, believing all of them to be spiteful and manipulative like her own mother.] She also had a problem with Hiro and Kisa being together, despite both of them being Zodiac members. And if I recall, she was furious when she found out about Haru and Rin. In all three cases, she mostly took it out on the women involved- Kisa ended up in the hospital, Rin got spoiler[pushed out a second story window], and the only reason she hurt spoiler[Hatori's eye] was so Kana would blame herself and become sick with grief.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2