• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Suspends 4 DVD Titles Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Sojitz is to blame, not ADV. They are the ones with the rights to the titles. The fact that ADV is in talks for 23 more titles means that they are still somewhat alive today.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
Suffice it to say that if Kanon #6 ever does come out it will be the last single volume release that I ever purchase from ADV, because I no longer have an iota of trust in their ability to finish what they start and deliver what they promise. Call me when the complete box set comes out - until then I'll be hanging on to my cash. And if by chance Kanon #6 is not released, then Kanon #5 will be the last thing I ever purchase from ADV. Assuming, of course, that they are actually still in business a few weeks from now.

I agree. Kanon is the only ADV series I'm currently collecting, and I thought it was safe because it only had one volume to go. I wonder how far along vol. 6 is? Earlier reports had me thinking it was completed except for the ability to mass produce it. It's wishful thinking, but I hope they can reach a deal to get it vol. 6 on the streets if it is nearly completed. First Yotsuba&! and now this.

It's strange to think that I've had a half-full When They Cry box on my shelf that I thought would never be filled. Now I'm more likely to pick up the rest of that series before Kanon is complete.
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I do feel for ADV, Tokyopop, and Geneon. I don't want new titles and have them be discontinue due to lack of sales or licensing rights. I want to finish buying the old titles first before buying the new titles for dvds and manga.

Last edited by sdhd on Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
The fact that ADV is in talks for 23 more titles means that they are still somewhat alive today.
But I don't care about the 23 other unnamed titles, I care about these titles. I want the my Kanon, my Shattered Angels, my NHK and all the rest!
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, ADV got through the rough spot they had at the beginning of the year, I'm sure they can get through this. Compared to the crisis they managed to avert earlier where practically half their catalog got yanked, this is absolutely nothing. While this is frustrating and is more evidence of an industry in decline, I doubt it'll be the death knell for ADV. What I do predict, however, is an AD Vision which is dialing back their industry role a number of notches. They are not the swollen-headed anime industry goliath they were of the post-Eva era, where they ran about licensing anything that popped out of Japan.

ADV is going to have to face facts, concentrate on a few core series, and not attempt to reach beyond their means, and for the most part, it seems like they know where they should be going and are heading in that direction. The one mistake they've made is that they haven't had the guts to come out and tell their customers that "Yep, we made some mistakes. We're not going away, but things are going to have to be cut back for a while. Starting from now we're going to concentrate on doing a few things well instead of a lot of things poorly." It takes a lot of guts to stand up and tell people that you can't deliver on your promises, but ADV needs to do it, before they lose the respect of most of the fans.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
The fact that ADV is in talks for 23 more titles means that they are still somewhat alive today.
But I don't care about the 23 other unnamed titles, I care about these titles. I want the my Kanon, my Shattered Angels, my NHK and all the rest!
From what I read on TAN's forum, Best Buy has Volume 5 of Welcome to the NHK. It seems that ADV has been sending what DVDs it already made to large retailers over smaller ones.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=243806&postcount=62
Xtyfe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Honestly, ADV got through the rough spot they had at the beginning of the year, I'm sure they can get through this. Compared to the crisis they managed to avert earlier where practically half their catalog got yanked, this is absolutely nothing. While this is frustrating and is more evidence of an industry in decline, I doubt it'll be the death knell for ADV. What I do predict, however, is an AD Vision which is dialing back their industry role a number of notches. They are not the swollen-headed anime industry goliath they were of the post-Eva era, where they ran about licensing anything that popped out of Japan.

ADV is going to have to face facts, concentrate on a few core series, and not attempt to reach beyond their means, and for the most part, it seems like they know where they should be going and are heading in that direction. The one mistake they've made is that they haven't had the guts to come out and tell their customers that "Yep, we made some mistakes. We're not going away, but things are going to have to be cut back for a while. Starting from now we're going to concentrate on doing a few things well instead of a lot of things poorly." It takes a lot of guts to stand up and tell people that you can't deliver on your promises, but ADV needs to do it, before they lose the respect of most of the fans.

true words
unlike the rest of us, your very calm and have thought this over quite a bit

i sure hope your right, im still having a hard time accepting all that happened tonight
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty old school. I grew up watching the original VHS release of Project A-ko and old grainy fansubs of Kodomo no Omocha. Not to sound like an old grognard, but people really don't appreciate what we have now. There was a time when we were lucky to get a few legitimate releases of some absolutely horrible OVAs and we appreciated it because it was what we had. I'm not about to sit here and condemn people for being dissappointed, but these things rise and ebb in cycles. Following Eva and Pokémon, the industry exploded, but they overreached what was sustainable sometime in the early 2000's, and the combination of that and the weak economy has put them on a downward trend. For now, what is important is the proper management of what they have.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Xtyfe wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

true words
unlike the rest of us, your very calm and have thought this over quite a bit

i sure hope your right, im still having a hard time accepting all that happened tonight
What Xfyfe said.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
This makes me really *bleeping* mad. ADV is turning into a really weird company.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:

I'd like to second this (or third or fourth it as the case may be).

I also don't think this is a NEW problem. Nor do I think this is one of ADV's MANY little problems. ADV had one HUGE problem at the beginning of the year when their financial backing bailed on them (thanks Sojitz). A problem like that takes a LONG time to fix. Most of the other problems since then are just the fallout from that one big problem. Plain and simply, ADV can't (re)negotiate licenses and produce DVDs, manga, or anything without money.

I also find it rather frustrating watching people arrogantly state ADV needs to develop some business sense, while at the same time complain that they should be obligated to re-license and release the last volume(s) of some of these series no matter what. The only explaination I can think of that makes any kind of sense is that the Japanese companies are asking for more in liscensing fees on those titles than ADV could hope to earn back with a single volume left to release. Why would ADV spend and lose money on that when they could spend the money on an other series for which they could release 3-6 volumes and make a profit? That's just the way business works sometimes. Show me any company that will knowingly develop a product when they know they're going to take a loss on it.

Being disappointed about this is fine (I mean it IS disappointing), but the outrage I'm seeing here is ridiculouse. You think ADV WANTS to stop releasing these titles? That wouldn't make any sense. They probably have boxes of some of these DVDs (Welcom to the NHK #5 for sure) sitting waiting to ship to retailers. DVDs they spent a good chunk of money to produce. DVDs that will now not make them a single penny (will they be obliged to destroy them in a case like this?). I'm sure they're doing(did) everything they can, within reason, to release these titles because even just making a little more than the cost to re-license these titles is more than they make just letting them sit.

Honestly, when this is all said and done and ADV gets itself back on it's feet, I will feel MORE secure buying their products. Without an investor backing them, it means they will have full control over the licenses they negotiate, which should completely eliminate the likelyhood of a recurrance of the problems we've seen with them since the start of the year. (Of course, my fear is that they'll be forced to find themselves a new investor if they want to stand a change at licensing the EVA movies)

Sorry for the long post. It's a lot more than I expected (or intended) to write.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
I'm of the opinion that even if certain companies are having a rough time and seem shaky it's still better to buy part of a series rather than sit and wait. Clearly the companies need revenue, and while it's understandable that some would rather wait for a set, the companies need sales now, and I'd personally rather have part of a series that I really like than none at all.
JINROH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

I'd like to second this (or third or fourth it as the case may be).

I also don't think this is a NEW problem. Nor do I think this is one of ADV's MANY little problems. ADV had one HUGE problem at the beginning of the year when their financial backing bailed on them (thanks Sojitz). A problem like that takes a LONG time to fix. Most of the other problems since then are just the fallout from that one big problem. Plain and simply, ADV can't (re)negotiate licenses and produce DVDs, manga, or anything without money.

I also find it rather frustrating watching people arrogantly state ADV needs to develop some business sense, while at the same time complain that they should be obligated to re-license and release the last volume(s) of some of these series no matter what. The only explaination I can think of that makes any kind of sense is that the Japanese companies are asking for more in liscensing fees on those titles than ADV could hope to earn back with a single volume left to release. Why would ADV spend and lose money on that when they could spend the money on an other series for which they could release 3-6 volumes and make a profit? That's just the way business works sometimes. Show me any company that will knowingly develop a product when they know they're going to take a loss on it.

Being disappointed about this is fine (I mean it IS disappointing), but the outrage I'm seeing here is ridiculouse. You think ADV WANTS to stop releasing these titles? That wouldn't make any sense. They probably have boxes of some of these DVDs (Welcom to the NHK #5 for sure) sitting waiting to ship to retailers. DVDs they spent a good chunk of money to produce. DVDs that will now not make them a single penny (will they be obliged to destroy them in a case like this?). I'm sure they're doing(did) everything they can, within reason, to release these titles because even just making a little more than the cost to re-license these titles is more than they make just letting them sit.

Honestly, when this is all said and done and ADV gets itself back on it's feet, I will feel MORE secure buying their products. Without an investor backing them, it means they will have full control over the licenses they negotiate, which should completely eliminate the likelyhood of a recurrance of the problems we've seen with them since the start of the year. (Of course, my fear is that they'll be forced to find themselves a new investor if they want to stand a change at licensing the EVA movies)

Sorry for the long post. It's a lot more than I expected (or intended) to write.

No need to apologize at all.

Great post,and I full concur with it ! Children,and teenagers,here and elsewhere are talking as if they are doing all this with hate in their heart for the average anime fan/customer,when that is so far from the case its not funny.Walk a few dozen miles in Greenfields shoes,and then come talk to us about business acumen.

I also really cannot stand all the 'arm chair quarter backs' shooting
their mouths off,as if they have degrees in business management
and know all and see all,when really they are clueless for the most part unless they work for ADV the company,and have access to real inside financial info.Obviously they don't !

I hope ADV survives and can continue on,I would love to get the rest of Red Garden,as well as a few other select titles.I will go
on buying titles they have put out,new and old.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
this doesnt boathe well for everyone involved.including fansubs and those youtube and veoh posters cause if adv goes belly hop,it's the end of fansubs period.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Good thing I watched those shows long ago

Yeah... I saw some of them myself... started Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora (Shattered Angels ?), stopped after one episode... watched some of NHK and I'm buying the manga, and I may buy the anime if it gets finished... I only ever saw one episode of Tokyo Majin, but I liked it, and I have 2 volumes with the artbox. I watched all of Kanon in fansubs, and I was able to get volume 5 earlier today... I may not be happy about the fate of these titles, but blaming ADV for something that is out of their control is pointless. They are trying to get new series to work on and release since they no longer have the legal right to release these titles. They probably have the discs ready to ship, but if they ship them, they could probably be sued, and it would put them in a really bad position with the entire Japanese animation industry. All I can hope for is that negotiations with Sojitz go well enough that ADV is allowed to finish these series.

And I'm still looking forward to Kiba, since it seems it was licensed without using Sojitz. Yay for small miracles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10