• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you get your Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak08 wrote:
So then why waste it on bootlegs. And what is wrong with domestic titles?

They cost more, whereas bootlegs are cheaper and you get more epsiodes for your money. I used to buy a lot of them, but have since gotten/am getting rid of them by way of giving them to my friends (who are somewhat in between buying R1s and bootlegs).

But from that aspect on, it's really just a question of morals. Not that I have anything against people who purchase bootlegs. It's their money, and they can spend it however they please. I, however, choose to spend my money on domestic DVDs, as it can help U.S companies license more anime. Razz
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
you call dvds that are $20-25 affordable you can get us tv series on dvd for a hella lot cheaper than that. Im thinking of dvds in the $10-15$ price range
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:
you call dvds that are $20-25 affordable you can get us tv series on dvd for a hella lot cheaper than that. Im thinking of dvds in the $10-15$ price range

I know, I use to buy em' . I thought those prices were so good, it was a steal, and apperently, it was. I'm not gonna' preach to you about bootlegs, but I'll agree with you in only one sense, they're very affordable in price, but that's pretty much the only good thing I'll say about them .
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I try my best to buy legit DVDs, going as far as to ask my friends to bring them back from overseas. I buy legit stuff whenever I can in Singapore domestically. But there are times when the legit stuff is not available so I have to buy boots.

But my stand is to buy legit. As far as I can within my means (cost is not an issue, never has been. Rather, availability is THE BIG ISSUE), I will always buy legit.

Papa-Cha, buying boots is not supporting the anime industry at all. If you have all this access to legit stuff, why not buy legit? Or you could form a club within your community and share the costs of buying legit. Nothing wrong with that.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I have bought all of my anime from Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, AnimEigo, and Robert's Anime Corner Store. After seeing Deep Discounted DVD's name dropped so many times here though, I checked them out. Dang, they blow everyone else out of the water!!!Kinda sucks as Robert's has been so cool.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:31 am Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:
Im thinking of dvds in the $10-15$ price range
Then why not go with DDD? Their prices are great and...
Quote:
they blow everyone else out of the water!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MikeRa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I get my anmies from FYE, Suncoast, The Z Store and eBay.

I get my magnas from Suncoast, Borders Express (formerly known as Waldenbooks) and Borders Cool
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. I get almost all my Anime at Best Buy (in store). They have a pretty decent selection most of the time.

The only other places I buy from is a local anime store, convention stands, and potentially Suncoast. Potomac Mills tis an hour away. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
I normally get mine from Best Buy(in store) because like Shiki they have a good selection and are cheap. Also 45 minutes away from my house is Wizzywig. They have a GREAT selection (it IS an anime/manga store...)and is right off of the Ann Arbor University Of Michigan campus Smile. Also, I order my anime online via www.deepdiscountdvd.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I usually get my anime from sucoast, FYE, Best Buy, and Borders. I don't do a lot of online shopping.
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I get it mostly from Anime Castle. They have a point system and their warehouse is stock full of anime stuff.

I love stopping by their warehouse and talking to the owner about anime and stuff. He's cool. But don't tell him I said that.

And they have cute sales girls to help me find stuff. Laughing
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote
UK dvds i use www.play.com or amazon uk, Sometimes i buy in store too (hmv and virgin megastores)

US dvds i use dvdpacific or amazon.com
bubble

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I buy at Best Buy in-store, at Wherehouse Music used, and online at http://www.rightstuf.com when they have a sale. I also bought some at Fanime '04, in the dealer's room. That's where I get all my import soundtracks since I found out about bootleg soundtracks ('course I've only gotten one since then). Fanime has a strict anti-bootleg policy. Very Happy

I'll eventually buy from Deep Discount DVD, I'm sure. After all, the only way I know that's cheaper and legit is a few of the Right Stuf sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I used to buy mine at Sam Goody. But until recently, I noticed that their anime is way too overpriced. Now, I buy used VHS anime for $2-$3 at a local shop and [This URL is a known Bootlegging website]'s that run $6-$10 at another Gamestop owned business. Unfortunately, I sometimes do want something very specific and only expensive places have it...like NGE: Perfect Collection.
Kateonfire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I buy anime at Suncoast occasionally, but then I rarely buy anime (preference to renting), so I get DVDs more often at convention dealer rooms. I buy manga at Suncoast, Waldenbook, and Borders. Borders is my favorite, as they finally gave manga it's own section and they have a very large selection. I just have to maneuver around the fanboys sitting in the aisle whilst reading Love Hina...

For series that aren't available in English or are hard to find, I sometimes shop online at Sasugabooks and Anime Nation. Although the latter is so often out of of the volume I want. Once, I visited the site and they had only three volumes of Dragon Knights available (there were twelve volumes out in English at the time).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3