• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Feigned Frustration XIII

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Descent123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Is it just me or does the editor of this love shmups?

Anyway, I'm excited about TFVI. If it doesn't come out here I will be angry.

Just import it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
M'eh, the FFXIII to 360 announcement isn't that hot when you stop to think about it...

For one, the game isn't coming out for awhile... I'd guess late 2009 for Japan, mid 2010 for the US and late 2010 for Europe and Australia. The world will be a different place by then and the PS3 would have a massive install base, probably lager than the 360s if its momentum keeps up considering the 360 is only leading it in North America and the UK. Prices will have come down, blu-ray will be widespread and there'll be tons of exclusive games only available on the PS3 that'll make it more than a significant rival to the 360.

The 360 version will be a port and Square Enix sounds like they're not even going to take consideration of the 360's spec while developing this game for the 360 like other ground up multiplatform games do. It's being made with PS3 as the lead platform and Square loves to try and tap out the power and abilities of any system it develops on. Blu-ray, the Cell and a standard HDD will be a big factor here, and Square has said that they'll have to compress and tone down sound and HD video for the 360 version to fit it onto DVD, but they're not going to bother working all that out until the game is out in Japan. It's safe to say that it's extremely likely the PS3 version will be the better of the two since it's built for the PS3. The 360 version won't be too bad I guess but for those that really care to pay attention to all that tech stuff about framerates, jaggies, colours and pixelcounts, the PS3 will be the superior. Also having the game on 1 disc as opposed to 5 or 6 doesn't hurt either though disc swapping isn't a big deal in games of this length.

The place Microsoft really needs this game is Japan and they aren't getting it in Japan... FFXIII will do for PS3 sales what Crisis Core FFVII did for PSP and move plenty of PS3 consoles. It's said more than half of FF's total sales are made in Japan alone. Japan is a lost cause for Microsoft anyway... At best this deal does help soften that effect in the US and Eu for Microsoft when you consider those FF fans who haven't picked up a console yet... However, when these hardcore FF and Square fans consider which system to get, the PS3 still has the edge. Even if we ignore the possibility of the game running better on the PS3, the PS3 still has FFVersusXIII exclusive. And even if that game also gets announced for the 360, movies like FFVII Complete are only available on blu-ray. There are plenty more incentives for Square fans to pick the PS3. More likely those that own PS2s and especially PSPs for games like Crisis Core or the PSP Kingdom Hearts will likely lean towards PS3. And I bet FFVersusXIII's stance as an exclusive will depend on how FFXIII performs on the 360 which will probably be negligable by the time this comes out.

And as for simultaneous releases, Last Remnant was also supposed to be simultaneous, but because of Unreal engine problems on PS3 the PS3 version was delayed with the 360 getting it first. If the same sort of situation occurs with porting FFXIII to the 360, I highly doubt Square will wait to release the PS3 version considering all this is happening because Square is concerned with financial troubles. However, if we consider that Microsoft has actually paid Square Enix to bring the game to their system simultaneously then Square would be bound to honor that and hold back the PS3 version.

Anyway you look at it. Sony still has the upperhand and has exclusivity of FF where it matter... in Japan... And this event certainly shows that Sony was serious when it said it wasn't paying third parties for exclusives anymore to focus on it's own first and second party studios, and with games like Killzone 2 on the horizon, it's certainly paying off. The most Microsoft did by getting FFXIII was sending a morale blow to Sony fanboys and creating a psychological effect on their E3 audience after a pretty weak press conference whose gaming lineup half consisted of big title games that'll be available on the PS3 anyway... like Fallout and Resident Evil 5.

In any case... if you own a 360 and the only PS3 game you were ever looking forward to was the traditional FFXIII, you can now save yourself a chunk of money.
ilkz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Same here, I don't care sh**t about mario's fat ass, idotic lamo Lara Croft, or stupid pokemonster crap. AlI I love is shmup and JRPG and I am 'mad' because I don't have my games. What is the ship on your avatar?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

In any case... if you own a 360 and the only PS3 game you were ever looking forward to was the traditional FFXIII, you can now save yourself a chunk of money.

Yeah, such is (sort of) the case with me. I'm so happy I can finally play a Final Fantasy game! Very Happy

Now I'd like an MGS4 port, if you please.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Same here, I don't care sh**t about mario's fat ass, idotic lamo Lara Croft, or stupid pokemonster crap. AlI I love is shmup and JRPG and I am 'mad' because I don't have my games. What is the ship on your avatar?

The Type C ship from Dodonpachi Very Happy
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I love my PS3. I don't play games on it but it's a beautiful media center, uses bluetooth peripherals - and let me tell you, there is nothing better than a bluetooth remote control - and is easily, by a large margin, the best Bluray player and upscaling DVD player on the market. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

In the last year and a half I have received three PS3 games. I bought Motorstorm (mainly to make sure my machine played PS3 games before the warranty expired) in April of 2007 and played it a couple of times. I bought Drakes Fortune half a year later and received Guitar Hero as a gift.

With that said the PS3 is the best $600 spent on my AV setup. It has come to the point where I actually have a hard time watching non HD live action DVDs. The video quality difference between a DVD played on my Oppo and a Blu-ray disc played on the PS3 is really evident and the $600 I spent on my PS3 is far more noticeable than the $600 I paid for my recently acquired used HDMI Flea noise reduction module. The leap in quality for Blu-ray also surpasses any improvement that my DVDO provides for standard definition and that most definitely cost more than my PS3.

I even considered buying the new Sony S350 which came out this month (It bitstreams True HD and DTSMA and is very quiet) which might be the first standalone player that has as many features as the PS3, but decided against it since various benchmarks still rank it a bit slower (takes about 5 seconds longer to load up discs) than the PS3. I will probably wait until next summer before upgrading to a standalone Blu-ray player. The margin between the PS3 and the equally priced S350 as a Blu-ray player isn't that wide of a margin, but the PS3 does have some neat downloads from the PS store.
ilkz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Seems many people interested using the PS3 as blueray dvd player, I think this is reather a bad news for sony because game console sale lose money and they need to sell more games to make profort. It was said that a PS3 cost at least $800 to produce and people think $600 was too expansive, If everyone consider it as a great choice to watch blueray movie ... sony is screwed. screwed...
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
muppet345 wrote:
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert)...

http://ffxiii360.ytmnd.com/ Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5