Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan: 2011


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ultimatemegax



Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Posts: 248

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Quick note that wasn't mentioned on Oricon nor the article: the Haruhi title that's at the top of the chart is the LE set. The actual amount of books sold is double that: 870,248.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sewingrose



Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Posts: 518

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm buying the Haruhi Light Novels as Yen puts them out, glad to see that they are doing so well.
God, what I'd do to get the Baccano and Durarara Light Novels over here, along with someone bringing back Gosick and Kino's Journey (though I know the problems Tokyopop had with that one were on the Japanese side).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vinamara



Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Posts: 228

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Guess these are the upcoming would-be candidates for a new anime series. There are a couple of potentials here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Volibear



Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Posts: 343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
wow, SnS XXII was the finale for the series and it only managed 46th, guess that explains the poor anime preorder sales then

anyone else think we'll see a couple of these series get another round of adaptations from these kind of sales and/or dvd/blu-ray sales, cause TMnI hit top 5 with 2 new volumes and i wouldn't mind them finishing off adapting it for tv, and another season on Oreimo and Haganai wouldn't be bad either
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 6236
Location: IL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Quick note that wasn't mentioned on Oricon nor the article: the Haruhi title that's at the top of the chart is the LE set. The actual amount of books sold is double that: 870,248.

Why would you say this and not post a source? And why would an LE and RE edition sell the exact same amount of copies? RE sales are usually 1/10th or lower than the LE editions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ultimatemegax



Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Posts: 248

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:
Quick note that wasn't mentioned on Oricon nor the article: the Haruhi title that's at the top of the chart is the LE set. The actual amount of books sold is double that: 870,248.

Why would you say this and not post a source? And why would an LE and RE edition sell the exact same amount of copies? RE sales are usually 1/10th or lower than the LE editions.


If you go to the actual page ANN is quoting from (http://www.oricon.co.jp/​entertainment/​ranking/​2011/​bookrank1201/​index09.​html), you see "涼宮ハルヒの驚愕 初回限定版" showing that it's only the LE. Go to Kadokawa's own listing (http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/​lnovel/​bk_detail.​php?​pcd=​201012000106) and you'll see that the LE set contains both novels 10 and 11. They put two books (and a LE booklet) in a set since they conclude the story started in novel 9 and were likely too big for one book (in Kadokawa's mindset). There is no record of a RE in Oricon's listing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 6236
Location: IL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so they sold two books in one then. Gotcha. I thought you were trying to say that the Haruhi LN should be listed as having sold 870,248 copies which is just absurd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 2951
Location: earth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
they need to make IS season two now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scormio



Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 603

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Guess these are the upcoming would-be candidates for a new anime series. There are a couple of potentials here.


All the ones that weren't already made into series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EnigmaticSky



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Cool, Ore no Imouto is doing well. I want a second season... and for it to be released in america on bluray.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kit-Tsukasa



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 928

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
wow, SnS XXII was the finale for the series and it only managed 46th, guess that explains the poor anime preorder sales then

anyone else think we'll see a couple of these series get another round of adaptations from these kind of sales and/or dvd/blu-ray sales, cause TMnI hit top 5 with 2 new volumes and i wouldn't mind them finishing off adapting it for tv, and another season on Oreimo and Haganai wouldn't be bad either

Problem is it's only a month old as of the data collection date. Some of the other novels on there have been out significantly longer. Not to mention that Shana has really disappeared for 3.5 years at this point. Preorder or not, most "final" light novel sales are driven by anime adaptation as advertisement. Pretty sure the numbers will go up once the anime reaches its climax or finale.

Saiunkoku is probably the one exception though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AP24



Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 38

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
According to this: http://myanimelist.net/​forum/​?​topicid=​370533

Haganai, IS, OreImo, Hidan no Aria, Index, Baka to Test and Gosick are in the top 10 by series or author. This is probably because of their anime adaptation released during the year. It also explains why the first volume of most of these series sold quite a lot. Based on how popular these series are they deserve another season.

Some volumes didn't rank high probably because they had just been released. Final volume of Shana didn't sell much because it's only been released for about a month. Maybe next year the figure will be higher.


Last edited by AP24 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ashen Phoenix



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1638

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
I'm buying the Haruhi Light Novels as Yen puts them out, glad to see that they are doing so well.
God, what I'd do to get the Baccano and Durarara Light Novels over here, along with someone bringing back Gosick and Kino's Journey (though I know the problems Tokyopop had with that one were on the Japanese side).

You took the words right outta my damn mouth, mate.

I want to own the Baccano! and Durarara!! novels so bad. I don't a stable income atm but anything I do have I'm spending on manga and light novels. I couldn't be happier with the stuff Yen Press is putting out so I'm praying they get them. That would just make my year.

Maybe if enough people drum up interest in them the manga companies will take a look at acquiring them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Scormio



Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 603

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
I'm buying the Haruhi Light Novels as Yen puts them out, glad to see that they are doing so well.
God, what I'd do to get the Baccano and Durarara Light Novels over here, along with someone bringing back Gosick and Kino's Journey (though I know the problems Tokyopop had with that one were on the Japanese side).

You took the words right outta my damn mouth, mate.

I want to own the Baccano! and Durarara!! novels so bad. I don't a stable income atm but anything I do have I'm spending on manga and light novels. I couldn't be happier with the stuff Yen Press is putting out so I'm praying they get them. That would just make my year.

Maybe if enough people drum up interest in them the manga companies will take a look at acquiring them?


I dunno if you guys knew this or not, but YenPress did license the DURARARA!! manga.

I completely agree with the sentiment about getting more light novels. I know I've heard several times that they don't sell well, but I'd like to think massively popular ones like Index or OreImo would stand a fair chance of doing well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fletcher1991



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 514
Location: Long Island, NY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
Thats quite a big jump in numbers from 2nd to 1st.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group