• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adult Swim takes back Saturday nights!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quote
From Adult Swim boards:
Adult Swim Ready for Action on Saturday Nights Beginning April 17

Top Animé Series to Air from 11 p.m.-2 a.m. (ET, PT) Every Saturday

Saturday night's all right for fighting - as well as shooting, stealing, investigating, discovering and escaping. As Cartoon Network's Adult Swim launches on Saturday (11 p.m.-2 a.m., ET/PT) with a line-up dedicated exclusively to top action-adventure and animé series. Beginning Saturday, April 17, Adult Swim will air six nights per week. As part of the new programming strategy, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network's popular late-night block of animated programming aimed at adults 18-34, will add four new action/animé series to its line-up this year.

"Action programming has been part of Adult Swim since we launched in September 2001," said Mike Lazzo, Cartoon Network's senior vice president responsible for Adult Swim. "With the popularity of series like InuYasha and Cowboy Bebop and the great new shows we've acquired, we decided to create an exclusive destination on Saturdays where fans can turn for the best animé."

To kick off the new action block, Adult Swim presents The Animatrix on Saturday, April 17, at 11 p.m. (ET, PT). Springing forth from the world of the successful film trilogy The Matrix, The Animatrix presents nine original short animated stories directed by pre-eminent animé directors, including Andy Jones (Final Flight of The Osiris), Mahiro Maeda (The Second Renaissance: Parts 1 and 2), Shinichiro Watanabe (Kid's Story, Detective Story), Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Program), Takeshi Koike (World Record), Koji Morimoto (Beyond) and Peter Chung (Matriculated). Four of the nine episodes were written by Larry and Andy Wachowski, and all of the episodes are grounded in the world of the The Matrix.

Among the other new acquisitions that will be part of Adult Swim's new Saturday night line-up:

InuYasha: Cartoon Network has acquired 52 additional episodes of the highly rated series InuYasha, which will begin in April. When a young girl named Kagome is transported back in time to feudal Japan, she meets InuYasha, the son of a powerful demon father with a human mother. Together, they protect the powerful "Jewel of Four Souls" from the demons and goblins who seek it. New episodes of InuYasha will begin airing on Adult Swim beginning Saturday, April 24, at 11 p.m. (ET, PT), with a premiere each Saturday evening.

Wolf's Rain: Set in a post-apocalyptic future, Wolf's Rain premieres on Adult Swim in April. In this series, wolves are mystical creatures that disguise themselves in human form. One lone wolf named Kiba is tracking a scent that he believes will lead him to paradise. The source of the smell is an unusual creature made of flowers named Cheza. When Cheza is kidnapped, Kiba begins a journey to find her. Cartoon Network has acquired 26 episodes of Wolf's Rain, which begins Saturday, April 24 at 11:30 p.m. (ET, PT).

Witch Hunter Robin: This series, which began on Adult Swim in February, joins the new Saturday all-action night lineup beginning April 24. Witch Hunter Robin, which will air Saturdays as well as Monday-Thursday at 12:30 p.m. (ET, PT), brings high action, intrigue and conspiracy to its gothic story, set in present-day Japan. In a world where witches abuse their supernatural powers, a special team is given the task of hunting this new threat to society. The STN is a shadowy international organization combating the Witches with a blend of technology, forensic science, and other supernaturally powered team members of their own. A young lady named Robin is the most powerful member of the team. Her mysterious gift, the ability to summon deadly flames, will determine the fates of her colleagues and lead her into a dark world of mystique and witchcraft. Witch Hunter Robin is directed by animé veteran Shukou Murase, who served as character designer for Gundam Wing and Argentosoma.

Case Closed: The detective series Case Closed, which joins Adult Swim in June, is adapted from the popular Japanese weekly manga Detective Conan, which has been published since 1994. Case Closed tells the story of Jimmy Kudo, a famous teenage detective who is poisoned by a mysterious organization. The experiment was supposed to kill him but instead it makes Jimmy grow younger. Trapped inside the body of a 7-year-old, Jimmy takes the name Conan Edogawa and begins to search for the men who did this to him while a friend and family neighbor, Dr. Agasa, invents gadgets for Conan to solve crimes.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Coming to Adult Swim in October, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex presents a world in which female cyborg Major Motoko Kusanagi and her fellow police officers of Section 9 must hunt down criminals in both the real world and online worlds. Set in the not-too-distant future where technology plays a key role in everyday human life, this sci-fi action series combines the latest in full CG animation featuring dramatic themes, compelling characters and meticulous design. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex adds a new vision to one of the most well-regarded animé feature films of all time, 1995's Ghost in the Shell. Produced by Japan's acclaimed Production I.G. Studios (Kill Bill, Blood the Last Vampire), the new animé series consists of 26 futuristic half-hour episodes.

The Adult Swim Saturday night line-up is as follows (all times ET, PT):

Beginning Saturday, April 24

11 p.m.
InuYasha

11:30 p.m.
Wolf’s Rain

12 a.m.
FLCL

12:30 a.m.
Witch Hunter Robin

1 a.m.
Trigun

1:30 a.m.
Cowboy Bebop

Is this awesome news or what!
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quote
That's some very good news...I'm kinda getting tired of watching the same .hack and Kenshin episodes (although those are very good shows). It's about time I'm gonna see something different...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:39 am Reply with quote
This is so sweet! Now more people can see these great shows! Surprised Not to mention I'll be able to see more of Witch Hunter Robin. Not to mention I'll finally get to see FLCL. Cool
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quote
I hope there done making up there minds. I'm going to be quite busy watching all those new episodes and shows. I hope Adultswim keeps up there good work ethic and keep improving there lineup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:19 am Reply with quote
What's the date on that press release? Last I heard, all those plans were pushed to Thursday, while Saturday was reserved for the new & improved Toonami. Hell, they just put out the official Saturday Toonami schedule like...last week, was it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote
Great news indeed. AS is doing things right for us older, more muture, viewers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Hell, they just put out the official Saturday Toonami schedule like...last week, was it?

CN gave us this schedule FOUR days ago. Wow. I guess their fight to keep Saturday nights was successful after all.

Quote:
Note: This scedule is accurate as of March 22nd, Cartoon Network may make changes.

Heh, heh...
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:58 am Reply with quote
If this does infact happen then they should go and remove on of those movies (preferebly the first second one) to make room for the more compressed lineup. Maybe cut Dragonball for a while and move Teen Titans' new episodes to Thursday afternoon since the series is already part of Miguzi and it wouldn't make sence to have it on both Miguzi and Toonami.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
koden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:26 am Reply with quote
I really like the new line-up and I'll finally get to see all of FLCL and Trigun, but I wish Cowboy Bebop would leave... I'm tired of seeing it on all the time.
Seems like it's been aired over and over and over again...
PlayBoi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:30 am Reply with quote
koden wrote:
I really like the new line-up and I'll finally get to see all of FLCL and Trigun, but I wish Cowboy Bebop would leave... I'm tired of seeing it on all the time.
Seems like it's been aired over and over and over again...

Yah they need to take it off I mean anyone whos wanted to see it has, and if they haven't they need to just purchase it. Personally, I'd like to see orginal Gundam aired. They cut tha show off with like 20 episodes, or less, left back when it was on Toonami. Thats just wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:48 am Reply with quote
PlayBoi wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see orginal Gundam aired. They cut the show off with like 20 episodes, or less, left back when it was on Toonami. Thats just wrong.

No, when it was on Toonami, it only had about five episodes to go. When it reappeared on Adult Swim, it only got about halfway through before it was dropped when the block switched to week nights.
tetsusaiga-kyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Note: This scedule is accurate as of March 22nd, Cartoon Network may make changes.

Quote:
CN gave us this schedule FOUR days ago. Wow. I guess their fight to keep Saturday nights was successful after all.

I guess this is good news, but it sounds extremely odd. Why would they two have a press releases the same day with two line-ups that conflict, interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I think this announcement is great. I was a bit down at the fact that I'd have to set my VCR to record Wolf's Rain and Inuyahsa on Thursday nights. But with those shows airing on Saturdays now, I can stay up late and watch them without having to wait until the next afternoon.

This saves me a whole lot of stress in the case that I ever forgot to turn off the VCR and miss a couple of episodes...

(*cough**mumble**Witch Hunter Robin**cough!*) Rolling Eyes Am I catching a cold? Shocked
Tsukasa1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope this goes through. I would to see FLCL again. Very Happy And I stay up too.

Tsukasa1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
setzer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Tsukasa1 wrote:
I would to see FLCL again.

I would love to see FLCL for the first time! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2