• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the va playing simon actually got it pretty spot on (surprising) Razz
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Jealosy is the number 1 killer amongst anime fans remember this well when you're watching this you dirty rottem %&*(*%$(&^$&^&^(*^(*%*(^%ers am gonna go sulk. Evil or Very Mad
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know Yuri could sound so... GAR.

that was my only worry and I'm sold
Sloober

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh could you? That would be so awesome if you can, thanks very much for offering. Very Happy Of course I'll see what my friend can do, that might be easier for pretty much everyone, but if you can, how would we do it? Would you like, rip it onto the computer and e-mail it to me or something? Or would you just simply mail it to me or something like that?

There's a "group" of sorts that records these air broadcastings and posts them for download. I don't recall what their name is (but yes, i do at times hit them up for broadcasts I miss - luckily i have my CPU plugged into my big screen so i don't have to stare at my monitor). *removed ~Zalis* (Not sure what the stance is around here for broadcast shows and groups!)

[EDIT: Downloaded tv-rips of US broadcasts are just like fansubs, only with a different audio language and no fan subtitles. So maybe they're more like raws. IN any case they're still illegal, in violation of copyright, etc. Therefore, linking to them is not allowed.~Zalis]
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
kaizen-dono wrote:
Jealosy is the number 1 killer amongst anime fans remember this well when you're watching this you dirty rottem %&*(*%$(&^$&^&^(*^(*%*(^%ers am gonna go sulk. Evil or Very Mad

first episode is online
http://www.scifi.com/anime/
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I cant watch something with sound quality that bad, and its not really the point just being able to watch it on your TV sets is really what Im jealous of Ill just have to wait for the R2 DVD's
thanks anyway though Wink
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching it now. I noticed they sped up the intro every other bar or so, which sounded weird in my ears. I'm already sick of the commercial breaks, but that's what you trade in for watching it for free on TV!
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
watching Gurren right now,so far the voices for Simon and that other guy with the shades sound pretty good so far,can't wait to here Yoko's Very Happy
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
I didn't know Yuri could sound so... GAR.

that was my only worry and I'm sold

He seemed to use a somewhat similar tone he used when he played Asch in Tales of the Abyss. He's pretty versatile. On another note, thank god I can watch this on SciFi's website! Cool
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
First Episode:

OMFG this dub is just amazing if they keep this level of quality I don't think I'll even look at the Japanese track on the DVDs

they handled the catch phrases very well.

"Kick reason out and do the Impossible"
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
First episode has left a VERY good impression on me with the dub. Kamina sounds the most different in my ears, but I'm used to him now and he sounds great.

I can't wait to start collecting the DVDs and get the uncut versions. The breaks for commercials and edits for time are the only things I have to complain about.

OMFG, Stephen Blum's Leeron is made of WIN!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Held off seeing the trailer for the show to begin. Worth it?

Absolutely
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok I got used to kamina and the second episode isn't even off yet so it's ok Wink I love the dub cast and I am completely happy except for the speeding up they did with the op and not playing the ed music at all. I didn't expect the lines to come off so well but they really did a good job. I like the fact that yoko looks like she does and still is really cool and serves a purpose besides fan-service (lets face it even the guys are fan-servicey here.)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I was actually a little disappointed with Kamina; I found Yuri only adequate, but he isn't quite up to the level of fire and spirit heard in the original role (which I consider an epic performance).

OTOH, I was quite pleased with everyone else. Kyle Hebert is perfect as Simon, Michelle Ruff is a good fit as Yoko, and wow, is that Steven Blum as Leeron? (But then, flagrantly gay-sounding characters usually sound even better when dubbed into English.)

But what's up with the pronunciation of Simon's name? I've never understood why people insist on keeping the Japanese pronunciations for names with English equivalents when dubbed into English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RangFlash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I really like the dub, but the show itself really disappointed me. I feel that it's a bit overrated, because everything I noticed in the show was a huge cliche. And if this was supposed to be a parody of mecha and anime in general, it wasn't funny enough to warrant that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24