• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I was actually a little disappointed with Kamina; I found Yuri only adequate, but he isn't quite up to the level of fire and spirit heard in the original role (which I consider an epic performance).

OTOH, I was quite pleased with everyone else. Kyle Hebert is perfect as Simon, Michelle Ruff is a good fit as Yoko, and wow, is that Steven Blum as Leeron? (But then, flagrantly gay-sounding characters usually sound even better when dubbed into English.)

Yuri Lowenthal is Simon.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
One of the advantages that [as] has is that during anime they only take one commercial break, and usually at the time the break was meant to happen. Another is that the commercials aren't ten times louder than the show itself. That said I am really glad that another station besides [as] is showing anime of this nature(i.e. new anime). Although the one very cool advantage Scifi has over [as] is the fact that they are showing two new episodes a week. Very cool.

As for the show itself, I can see already that this is going to be one hell of a crazy anime. And I plan to tune in every week for the ride. I still hven't nailed everyone down yet, but it is obvious that it is going to be about Yoko, Simon and Kamina. I got to say I thought Yoko was only going to be there for T&A, but it appears she actually has a personality. So this is going to be a fun time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
RangFlash wrote:
I really like the dub, but the show itself really disappointed me. I feel that it's a bit overrated, because everything I noticed in the show was a huge cliche. And if this was supposed to be a parody of mecha and anime in general, it wasn't funny enough to warrant that.

That's the thing about GL. It's not a parody, but it does have fun with the cliches and conventions of the super robot genre. It's more of an action comedy, if anything.

You're not going to find anything particularly new here, but it does its best to make it entertaining. Just don't expect this to be some kind of genre-buster like Evangelion was.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
RangFlash wrote:
I really like the dub, but the show itself really disappointed me. I feel that it's a bit overrated, because everything I noticed in the show was a huge cliche. And if this was supposed to be a parody of mecha and anime in general, it wasn't funny enough to warrant that.

Well, that's no surprise. You'll find the most popular mainstream titles in just about any medium tend to be full of cliches and common elements. There's a reason they attract the big numbers after all.

For the record, I agree with ya. It's a good show, but it doesn't live up to the "OMG itz teh gratest evah!!!" hype.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RangFlash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the show is decent entertainment, I just don't think it deserves to be called a classic. People are already calling it a classic, and one of the best animes ever made. Oh well, opinions opinions.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
RangFlash wrote:
Yeah, the show is decent entertainment, I just don't think it deserves to be called a classic. People are already calling it a classic, and one of the best animes ever made. Oh well, opinions opinions.

nothing's happened yet. i don't want to spoil it, but this show goes through a lot of transitions. if you don't like it after 8, then it's probably not for you.
Proud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
One of the advantages that [as] has is that during anime they only take one commercial break, and usually at the time the break was meant to happen. Another is that the commercials aren't ten times louder than the show itself. That said I am really glad that another station besides [as] is showing anime of this nature(i.e. new anime). Although the one very cool advantage Scifi has over [as] is the fact that they are showing two new episodes a week. Very cool.

As for the show itself, I can see already that this is going to be one hell of a crazy anime. And I plan to tune in every week for the ride. I still hven't nailed everyone down yet, but it is obvious that it is going to be about Yoko, Simon and Kamina. I got to say I thought Yoko was only going to be there for T&A, but it appears she actually has a personality. So this is going to be a fun time.

Wait, so they will be airing two new episodes each week? I only saw the first episode repeated at the 11:30 slot, or are they planning on showing 2 new episodes next week instead?

Anyways, this is a really nice dub. I was very impressed.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
RangFlash wrote:

True enough. I think it's really good, but I can see how it won't be everyone's bag.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Proud wrote:
Wait, so they will be airing two new episodes each week? I only saw the first episode repeated at the 11:30 slot, or are they planning on showing 2 new episodes next week instead?

Repeated?

They didn't repeat anything. They showed a new episode(episode 1) at 11, and another new one(episode 2) at 11:30.

Don't believe me? Check out the schedule.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've never understood why people insist on keeping the Japanese pronunciations for names with English equivalents when dubbed into English.

Me either I guess so they won't upset any sub fans I mean can you imagine if they said eureka as yooreka instead of elyoreka? Some people would be in an uproar They already didn't like the anemone thing. Either that or they think it sounds cooler. (I know kamina doesn't have the fire and excitement of the original but for such short notice it could be worse)
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
It was quite good, dubs were pretty good, Blum was great. As much as I like Kyle, i don't care much for his Kamina voice, though it is different which is good to see. Although I'm sure i'll get used to it. Looking forward to seeing more.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I got my actors backwards in my previous post. Ah, well.

Honestly, I thought this one got hurt more than most by the extra commercial breaks. A fair amount of GL depends on its timing, and that gets thrown off by the extra breaks.

Still, at least part of the series' strength shone through. This is not a series trying to innovate, but rather one trying to be an homage to classic old-school mecha. It's also about spirit, manliness, determination, bravado, and balls-to-the-wall action, and these episodes showed just a sample of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
In other words it's so incredibly cool it doesn't have to do anything new to be good. ( Kamina being the coolest yoko being second and so forth)
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
I wish Starz showed this, there wouldn't have been any commercials like when they showed the second barrage for black lagoon. Was really annoying.
Hunter2458

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
I don't really like the kamina voice, he sounds like a surfer dude, rather than the boisterous deep voice he had in japanese. When he starts yelling it doesn't get the blood pumping like it does in the sub dvd's, it seems like they're trying to hard to make him sound his age. Kamina's voice is one of the Main things that sold the series, you watched it to hear Kamina yell boisterously and yet naturally ridiculously, the dub sounds like they're trying to make it sound boisterous, some times I could swear he was impersonating 60/70's super hero voice (See: Buzz Lightyear).

Also, Sped up Intro sucks.

Ecstatic over the Simone rather than Simon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 24