• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Classical Music in Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Death W. Apacolypse

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Besides Godai's initial Comment I don't see a lot of people really mentioning Violinist of Hamelin. And that really does have many uses for Classical music.

Beethovens Piano Concerto #5, Emperor
Ride of the Valkyries
One of the songs from the nutcracker.

There were several other ones used also. Besides those and it really was kinda central to the story line in which the others are more for background music.
Freddy C

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Death W. Apacolypse wrote:
Besides Godai's initial Comment I don't see a lot of people really mentioning Violinist of Hamelin. And that really does have many uses for Classical music.

Beethovens Piano Concerto #5, Emperor
Ride of the Valkyries
One of the songs from the nutcracker.

There were several other ones used also. Besides those and it really was kinda central to the story line in which the others are more for background music.

VoH did have good music, but it was rather repetitive as I said before, but it was one of the best anime for classical ochestra music though. But i prefer piano in anime, they really help create the mood (esp. sad moods).
JackBassV

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Talking of Beethoven, all the music in Dragon Half is by him.

Including My Omelete Very Happy
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:48 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:

Including My Omelete :D

Awesome ED =D
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
There's still this one that's bugging me. I don't quite know still, so I'll repost it.

It's that one song that's played in Azumanga Daioh, during one of the track events. I really can't think of too many details off the top of my head. It's also played in FLCL in I think the 3rd episode, where the giant curry thing grows out of some girls head. I'm sorry that I can't really provide many details. If it helps, I believe the first 5 notes to the melody are a, g, f, d, and c.

Sorry. I just don't know what it is. it's bugging me. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Clown -- Dimitri Kabalevsky

Incidentally, I've played another of his pieces, a violin concerto that we couldn't find the orchestra part for. (So we wrote one from the recording.)
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
Ahh. Yes. Thank you. I really like the piece, and I've wanted to suggest it to my director for sometime. Doubtful, considering we aren't a full blown symphonic orchestra (meaning it's only stringed instruments). Acctually, we're experimenting with playing with the band though.

Ahhh. Thank you. =D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:27 am Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:

beethoven? that's a funny way to spell "kouhei tanaka". ;)

yeah, beethoven's tune was used for the ending theme, but the rest is tanaka's doing. there are several bgm pieces that sound classical, but they really aren't in the style of anything beethoven did (or at least, none of the pieces i'm aware of).

one has to be careful; just because it uses an orchestra doesn't mean it's instantly 200+ year old music. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:02 am Reply with quote
This is kinda OT, but I wanted to know if there is classical music in Gunslinger Girl (the violin)? *<--- loves violin; worships Vanessa Mae*
JackBassV

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
beethoven? that's a funny way to spell "kouhei tanaka". Wink
one has to be careful; just because it uses an orchestra doesn't mean it's instantly 200+ year old music. Smile

On the DVD i've got, Tanaka isn't mentioned. It just give Beethoven as the composer.

okay, so I knew some were completely unfamiliar, but some of the BGM sounds rather familiar (excluding the Dick Saucer Songs Smile )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3